Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:51:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Circle (Series 3)

Started by Ja'moke, March 18, 2021, 02:47:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: jimboslice on April 01, 2021, 08:33:02 AM
Femi's fucked up immediately too. Would have been more interesting if it was a fresh immigrant trying to play native.

He could just say that there's a Nigerian TV channel that shows a lot of American & British stuff, and that's where he saw it (assuming anyone mentions it, which they might not.).

BritishHobo

Forget the end of my last post - pulled back in by that daft date at the end. I didn't think Manrika was as genuinely invested as she is - kinda foresee another meeting that's going to go from 'this'll be really fun to see' to 'oh no oh god this is horrible I want to die'.

Vithun's confession was genuinely sweet. Is it possible he could go all the way after all, and they've been wrongfooting us by not bothering to show him much?

BritishHobo

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on April 01, 2021, 11:18:28 AM
He could just say that there's a Nigerian TV channel that shows a lot of American & British stuff, and that's where he saw it (assuming anyone mentions it, which they might not.).

I did think that - Gladiators seems like the kind of show that could be easily sold in any country. The battle between Syed and Femi is very fun. I like the contrast between the way they've chosen to speak, as immigrant characters.

He did deliver a few home truths to Manrika, that she's two faced and playing the game, when everyone else has acted like she's all sweetness and light, even Tally immediately forgave her the other day after Manrika threw her under the bus with the ratings. But, yes, it pales into insignificance when he's Hunter from Gladiators pretending to be a nurse.

Ja'moke

The latest preview shows that things might not be so clear cut for Andy.

BritishHobo

It's very interesting to see how people are reacting to that Gemma/Manrika meeting. Over on the Circle subreddit they're pretty much entirely in James' favour, because they all dislike Manrika. Twitter is much more split, but that sentiment exists over there. I think a lot of people disliked Manrika so much that they've allowed that to colour their interpretation. This tweet, for example:

QuoteHe was aggressive?! What were you watching? He literally walked in for a conversation only to find her screaming in his face

just bears no relation to reality. Screaming in his face?

BritishHobo

Quote from: Ja'moke on April 01, 2021, 12:37:36 PM
The latest preview shows that things might not be so clear cut for Andy.

Ooh. Unexpected if true. I know there's usually an inevitable backlash when someone keeps becoming influencer, but I really thought Gemma being a catfish would work in his favour. Perhaps people really have lost trust in him after learning he knew about Gemma. I suppose if I was a catfish I'd really be seeing him as a threat right now.

Ja'moke

Quote from: BritishHobo on April 01, 2021, 03:49:43 PM
Ooh. Unexpected if true. I know there's usually an inevitable backlash when someone keeps becoming influencer, but I really thought Gemma being a catfish would work in his favour. Perhaps people really have lost trust in him after learning he knew about Gemma. I suppose if I was a catfish I'd really be seeing him as a threat right now.

It shows a new potential alliance forming. So I'm guessing they all tactically voted Andy low.

BritishHobo

Andy and Manrika seem to have inadvertently created a situation where if you open up and are honest about your mistakes, you get fucked over for it. I can't really blame her and Felix for that decision though - as much as I love Vithun, he did struggle to put himself out there, and shot himself in the foot by being quite tricksy. Feel like if I went on the show I would probably have played a similar game to Vithun - being a bit too wary and nervous, and failing as a result to form bonds strong enough to save me.

OG final four is out the window then.

Ja'moke

Andy and Syed are on borrowed time if they don't pick their game up.

That Manrika/Felix/Dot trio is powerful. And now Manrika has Pippa on side too. Manrika, despite playing a bit of a topsy turvy game, is very good at getting allies quickly, and she has no real issue blocking supposed friends/allies.

Andy and Syed need to get Femi on side and any other newbie that might enter and make sure they're all on the same page.

I think Vithun was the architect of his own downfall and appeared to completely disappear into the background. I think introverts can still flourish in The Circle but it got me to the point of thinking, if Vithun wasn't chatting to people much, then what the hell was he doing with his time?

For a strategist, him falling into the trap of admitting the anonymous comment was foolish.

JesusAndYourBush

I've been reading comments on reddit quoting James(Gemma) about just how much Ch4 are controlling this.  At the end he wanted to go and see Dot but they forced him to go and see Manrika instead.  And that bit was filmed at 3am where he'd be more likely to agree to it just to be allowed to sleep.  The conversations which see people abruptly signing off after only exchanging a few words are edited and actually the conversations are a lot longer.  People can't choose who they speak to, it's chosen for them, and they didn't let James speak to Vithun for 11 days.  They're not allowed to know what the time is, which is just weird.  So it looks like Ch4 are being too controlling, or is it that the format wouldn't work without that level of control?

Ja'moke

I remember Alex from series 1 did a YouTube video where he went into a bit of detail about how it works. Apparently, at the start of the day, you have to tell the producers which players you'd like to speak to, and I think maybe get to pick 3 people per day? The producers will then schedule these chats throughout the day.

But I imagine if say, 8 different players all say they want to speak to Syed, then the producers will have to deny some requests and make those players pick someone else, just so the chats are more varied. And, in that case, they probably prioritize the chats that are more juicy or make for better story development.

It seems like there must be some micro managing producers as they also need to schedule when they go outside on the roof, in the wanky yoga room or the gym (which often reveals that most players don't know how to lift weights properly). The show must run like clockwork.

BritishHobo

Apparently they also had a production meeting for several hours to decide whether to allow James to confess his identity to Andy. Some elements of creative control are always necessary, but it seems annoying that they'd fret so much about allowing him the choice to do that - especially given that it's probably the most interesting organic element to have happened this series.

I guess it's always been this way, but it definitely seems a lot more obvious this season, with the prefilmed nature of it meaning they've been able to edit their narrative together much more blatantly. So odd though that they seemed to make it so difficult for people to speak to Vithun though.

More than anything I now understand James' demeanor in that Manrika meeting a little bit more. When it's 3am, and you wanted to have a nice chat with an old lady, but instead producers pushed you into a confrontation with a 'friend' who's actually been gunning for you all series, you're probably gonna have low patience. Still pretty harsh, but very much the result of producers' actions.

Ja'moke

Manrika is really cementing herself as an all-time great reality-tv character.

BritishHobo

Someone in the subreddit posted the following thoughts from series 2's Tim, about the current series - originally from Twitter, I believe:

Quote"Andy understands the show very well. He is determined to project friendship and honesty. I think he is a bit over-concerned about catfishing which is a different issue. There is a deeper honesty and deeper trust that sees through catfishers, believe me."

"Andy, sadly, is obsessed with catfishing. It is not the way to win. People can be lovely even when they are lying- think of James last year with whom I had a great relationship and still do. Or the divine Joyce, hopeless catfish but utterly charming."

"I wish the show had taken the time to nurture friendship and to showcase that as it did in series 1 and 2. Instead, it seems obsessed with twists. Believe me, there will be enough twists from determined participants."

"many thanks. Lol: I am watching from the sidelines. Frankly, I would love to give this whole show a serious re-think. It was sold to me as a show about friendship and that is sometimes hard to find/ see in series 3."

"Nothing wrong with being a catfish. That is called acting!"

"Hashu is giving a stunning performance and demonstrating again and again that catfishing is not the problem- the problem is thoughtlessness and a lack of genuine friendship. We should never risk so much to win such a small reward. I thought the circle was about friendship."

[In reply to "Vithen is the heart of the show"]"Entirely agree. So far, this show has been about the nastiness of production & how production can goad people into being thoughtless. Not surprising if it is filmed at 3am. We need more joy & more reality in shows like this, & frankly we need vithun to counterbalance the frenzy"

I think these really nail the problems I'm having with this series, which is it massively feels like the producers have overmanufactured something really quite cynical and nasty, which is in massive contrast to previous years. The latest episode's 'cliffhanger' ending is a huge case-in-point. Last year's Circle of Trust was light and fun - three likeable underdogs deciding to band together to give themselves a better chance. Here, it feels like an endless series of snide Circle games have been used in order to make the top-rated player go for blood. This new trio isn't fun, it feels angry, and horrible. And while I'm not exonerating Manrika, it really does feel like the producers have egged this on.

BritishHobo

Quote from: Ja'moke on April 02, 2021, 11:07:16 PM
Manrika is really cementing herself as an all-time great reality-tv character.

She won me over early doors with her frankness about playing a game - on a gameshow where other people playing games usually handwring about 'gameplayers'. I'm not the biggest fan of her actions the last week, but I increasingly feel that Channel 4 have guided her into.a villain role while doing absolutely fuck-all to assist her with the absolute hellscape of abuse and death threats she's now struggling with on Twitter. Thrown to the wolves, no fucks given.

I'm aware I've probably come across quite prissy and oversensitive in this year's thread, but in the era of #BeKind, and caring about mental health, in a time where we see documentaries reevaluating how Jade Goody was treated in the media, it leaves a very bad taste that we're still seeing these shows where producers heavily curate a narrative and then step out of sight, leaving individuals alone to struggle with the mental jealth nightmare of being culpable to a general public made up of sharks.

Might be a bit tipsy.

jimboslice

Padder episode. Felix & Dot were never going to block each other, and then it was obvious who was gone.

Also disappointed Pippa & Femi didn't mention how they were dressed the same.

Ja'moke

It always feels like The Circle (UK one at least) goes on one week too long, and you get these episodes where they're basically just stalling for time. I mean, at this point we all just want to see Manrika, Felix, Andy, and Syed in the final meeting, right?

BritishHobo

Yeah. There's always a last player who exists solely to fill time before inevitably getting blocked. They've just doubled the timewasting factor of that element by letting the two newest players go again with a new profile that's obviously not going to win. The three twists in that blocking didn't make for exciting TV, they made for fifteen minutes where I just kept checking my watch.

A last week with the remaining players could have been engaging TV, watching them pick up the pieces and figure out how to guarantee a win. Instead we're going to waste three days with this boring new character, who will be exempt from a blocking, and then will be blocked in the one after, leaving the final four but also getting a vote in the final ranking. The fact that they're Manrika's allies feels like blatant fixing on the part of the producers to get her to the final, and probably to a win.

BritishHobo

The producers definitely encouraged Andy to say #TripleThreat, right?

Ja'moke

Manrika won't win. British reality tv rarely has villain winners (I mean, there's been some horrible people who have won British reality shows, but they don't get the villain edit). And given this is all pre-filmed, I think Manrika would have received a different kind of edit had she won.

I'd love it if she did though. It would be kind of groundbreaking.

In terms of actual gameplay, Manrika is better off without Pippa and Femi, even though she doesn't realise it. The newbies are much more likely to rate tactically in the final because they don't have the bonds built up the same way as the OGs. And so given Manrika is popular in The Circle, the newbies will likely rate her low.

That's why I think she massively messed up by going after Andy. He's someone trying not to play tactically, and he would definitely have rated her high in the final. Syed too will rate her high. So she really should want the OGs in at the final.

JesusAndYourBush

I'm kindof surprised that Felix didn't vote Manrika out.  Given that Felix only befriended Manrika to that extent because she's popular and needed to be kept on side, and given that Manrika is going to be gutted that Felix isn't Felix, it'd have been better to disappoint her now rather than later, and get her out of the way at the same time.

jimboslice

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on April 05, 2021, 10:41:59 AM
I'm kindof surprised that Felix didn't vote Manrika out.  Given that Felix only befriended Manrika to that extent because she's popular and needed to be kept on side, and given that Manrika is going to be gutted that Felix isn't Felix, it'd have been better to disappoint her now rather than later, and get her out of the way at the same time.

If Felix booted his "girlfriend" out then he wouldn't really endear himself to the rest of them.

Ja'moke

Trailer for the second US season: https://twitter.com/netflix/status/1379120397841408000?s=21

Someone is catfishing as Lance Bass from NSYNC. Or it's actually Lance Bass.

What a clusterfuck last night's episode was, should've wheeled out Jasper Carrott for that Golden Balls style 'ooo now you can block EACH OTHER' bit.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Ludicrous Display on April 05, 2021, 07:16:00 PM
What a clusterfuck last night's episode was, should've wheeled out Jasper Carrott for that Golden Balls style 'ooo now you can block EACH OTHER' bit.

Or Kilroy - Share Or Shaft.

BritishHobo

People on Twitter are being very fucking precious about the new fella lying about a dead nan. We're quite a sensitive viewing public, aren't we?

The hate against Manrika has predictably and inevitably spiralled out-of-control. She's deleted her Twitter and her management have put out a statement telling people to stop being such morally-outraged wankers (in a much more professional way) and to stop sending hate and abuse. It's one thing taking exception with someone's playstyle, but we still seem to have this idiotic culture where people feel the need to have their pound of flesh. Even though the latest episode showed Manrika being aware that she has been too harsh in her gameplaying, and feeling bad. But six months on, people still feel the need to hammer her with their judgments like they're in any way needed or asked for? "I think Manrika is a terrible person, and I think she needs to know that." Arrogant knobheads.

Ja'moke

Quote from: BritishHobo on April 06, 2021, 09:15:31 PM
People on Twitter are being very fucking precious about the new fella lying about a dead nan. We're quite a sensitive viewing public, aren't we?

Really? Jeez. Jonny Fairplay did that on Survivor back in 2003. The British public would have a collective aneurysm watching that show.