Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:37:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Creation Stories - Alan McGee/ Creation Records film

Started by holyzombiejesus, March 18, 2021, 03:02:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

holyzombiejesus

This is finally coming out on Saturday (20/3) through Sky. I think it'll be entertaining rubbish. Sad to see no-one listed in the cast as playing Lawrence but looking forward to see whoever plays MBV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQKB0TOyKqA&t=142s

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/mar/18/film-alan-mcgee-creation-stories-ewen-bremner-oasis-primal-scream

SteveDave

It's interesting to see how many locations along or off Essex Road they've used in the trailer alone. Flashback is a record shop where McGee pawns records in an earlier released clip, when they're celebrating in a café late in that trailer is now Meat People near Islington Green (and was formerly used as a location in Quadrophenia I think) and Supernova Heights was on Northchurch Road (I walked passed it in 2019 when there were trucks and loads of people milling about)...

Also, Alistair McGowan as Jimmy Savile.

To adapt Tony Wilson's put-down of Creation, this'll be like Twenty Four Hour Party People but with less good bands.

Hoping there'll be a lot of stuff about the making of Creation's first single, 73 In 83 by The Legend! And guessing there won't be anything about how Oasis actually signed to Sony and were only licensed to Creation for the UK, but everyone lied about it for indie cred points.

Spiteface

Hoping there's a lengthy bit about that Kevin Rowland album.

rilk

the bloke playing ed ball's about 20 years older than the bloke playing his schoolmate dan treacy.

if it's as funny as the bands alan mcgee's signing for his new label then it's a success

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Wacky Homemade Badges on March 18, 2021, 10:11:12 PM
To adapt Tony Wilson's put-down of Creation, this'll be like Twenty Four Hour Party People but with less good bands.
Eh, as much as I loath a lot of the stuff Creation put out in the Britpop era, they have very high standing with me for the likes of Felt, Teenage Fanclub, Ride, Slowdive, Boo Radleys, Swervedriver, My Bloody Valentine and Sugar.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

For a second there I thought the guy playing McGee's dad was BA Cunterson. It's not, it's Richard Jobson, which is disappointing. This film could've put BA back on the map.

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on March 18, 2021, 11:04:00 PM
Eh, as much as I loath a lot of the stuff Creation put out in the Britpop era, they have very high standing with me for the likes of Felt, Teenage Fanclub, Ride, Slowdive, Boo Radleys, Swervedriver, My Bloody Valentine and Sugar.

Yeah, there is some good stuff there. From the cast list on IMDB, Kevin Shields is portrayed in the film but none of the others - looks like Primal Scream, JAMC and Oasis are the main focus.

the ouch cube

IMDb lists Steven Berkoff as playing Aleister Crowley.

...what?

justin_bennett

Lots of artistic licence in the film, especially the
Spoiler alert
Savile
[close]
bit, considering this article that McGee wrote back in the day.  See also - the turn of events that led to the Oasis/King Tuts gig - total pish. But, an enjoyable watch.  Spud perfect for the role.

Custard

I've gone right off McGee over the last few years, as he just comes across as an absolute ballbag. The bands he constantly pushes on social media are so mediocre that it makes you wonder if he's lost the plot a bit. The coke finally rotting his remaining braincells

Plus he's started doing this annoying thing of filming himself doing a weird running thing, which he seems to think is hilarious yet no one else does

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CMolOtfD-cW/

PLUS didn't CaB favourite Stuart Price say he had a minor disagreement with McGee on Twitter, and McGee started going on about Price "wearing girly outfits", like it makes Price's opinions any less valid

He's an absolute melt

jobotic

Who plays McGee's friend that Hue PoohStick's friend knows?

If it's not about MBV I'm not arsed.

dr beat

Quote from: Wacky Homemade Badges on March 19, 2021, 09:29:15 AM
Yeah, there is some good stuff there. From the cast list on IMDB, Kevin Shields is portrayed in the film but none of the others - looks like Primal Scream, JAMC and Oasis are the main focus.

No SFA and their bright blue techno tank?

dr beat

Quote from: Shameless Custard on March 20, 2021, 04:58:53 PM

PLUS didn't CaB favourite Stuart Price say he had a minor disagreement with McGee on Twitter, and McGee started going on about Price "wearing girly outfits", like it makes Price's opinions any less valid

He's an absolute melt

Simon Price? Or is he having a pop at Les Rhythmes Digitales now?

Custard

Simon Price, sorry!

Though I heard he hates every Price ever, especially Fisher

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: justin_bennett on March 20, 2021, 02:05:15 PM
Lots of artistic licence in the film, especially the
Spoiler alert
Savile
[close]
bit, considering this article that McGee wrote back in the day.  See also - the turn of events that led to the Oasis/King Tuts gig - total pish. But, an enjoyable watch.  Spud perfect for the role.

Apparently there's a bit in the film where he walks in on his dad and finds him listening to Oasis and leaves a cup of tea on the bedside table which Irvine Welsh made up. It's on Now TV/ film thingy so will watch it tonight and try very hard not to be the man who constantly snipes about historical inaccuracies or bemoans that they don't mention Bobby G playing with The Wake or something.

holyzombiejesus

Was thinking there might be a mid closing credits sequence, like in Marvel films, where you see Alan talking to The Montgolfier Brothers about setting up Poptones.

SteveDave

Why did Tonty Blair look like he came from Royston Vasey? So many teeth and a curly mullet.

holyzombiejesus

Yeah, I was thinking that. Looked a bit Geoff Tipps if played by Kevin Eldon. Also, why did they get Jason Manford to play Noel Gallagher?

What an awful film. Felt so poorly made and edited. Loads of stupid bits that they obviously went to loads of effort to do but were just really shit. Who was that silly English man who made films? Was McGee supposed to be cool? Actually, I guess that's kind of accurate in that he was always kind of supposed to be cool and likable but I've never met anyone who thought so.

Custard

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Phil_A

Quote from: Shameless Custard on March 20, 2021, 04:58:53 PM
I've gone right off McGee over the last few years, as he just comes across as an absolute ballbag. The bands he constantly pushes on social media are so mediocre that it makes you wonder if he's lost the plot a bit. The coke finally rotting his remaining braincells

Let's be honest, the plot was lost for McGee a long time ago. Possibly immediately after he signed Oasis.

He likes to present himself as a great indie-pop Svengali but his instincts for what people will actually want to listen to have been awry for decades. For any ambitious young band now, the McGee seal of approval is pretty much a guaranteed kiss of death.

Does this film actually mention any other Creation bands or is it as I suspect that the history of the whole label has been reduced to Oasis, Primal Scream and the J&MC?

Ah it does feature MBV according to this:

QuoteOne of Moran's favourite sequences is built around My Bloody Valentine's You Made Me Realise, the 1988 song whose live versions were soon distinguished by a long section of mind-boggling noise known to make people faint. "We worked really, really hard on that. And that was such a fantastic surprise for the audience – for everybody. The actors played live, and they were brilliant. It made everybody in the room fall in love with My Bloody Valentine: the cast, the extras, the crew. I just let the cameras run and it became this fantastic mosh."

That doesn't like the reaction that the middle bit of You Made Me Realise usually incites in people.

Blue Jam

I really hope the Super Furry Animals are in this. Who's playing Gorwel Owen?

SteveDave

Why was Malcolm McLaren basically a ginger Quentin Crisp? Why was Noel Gallagher so fat? What was that whole thing with Jason Isaacs about?

They could've gone a lot weirder with this and made it a lot better. Have Spud play the teenage McGee amongst actual teenagers to draw attention to the fact he's a 50 year old man playing someone in his late-20s to late-30s. Have the Gallaghers as a two-headed man arguing over everything during a hallucination. Have Kevin Shields as Cousin It with big ears.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Phil_A on March 21, 2021, 10:03:00 AM
Ah it does feature MBV according to this:

QuoteOne of Moran's favourite sequences is built around My Bloody Valentine's You Made Me Realise, the 1988 song whose live versions were soon distinguished by a long section of mind-boggling noise known to make people faint. "We worked really, really hard on that. And that was such a fantastic surprise for the audience – for everybody. The actors played live, and they were brilliant. It made everybody in the room fall in love with My Bloody Valentine: the cast, the extras, the crew. I just let the cameras run and it became this fantastic mosh."

That doesn't like the reaction that the middle bit of You Made Me Realise usually incites in people.

I wish I could post this scene as the difference between the way Moran describes it and the laughable thing itself is huge. Do these people never go to gigs? 20 seemingly socially-distanced extras (including a punk!) dancing and punching the air, followed by someone doing a jerky semi-robotic dance to The Pastels' version of Speeding Motorcycle. Just silly.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: SteveDave on March 21, 2021, 10:57:32 AM
Why was Malcolm McLaren basically a ginger Quentin Crisp? Why was Noel Gallagher so fat? What was that whole thing with Jason Isaacs about?

They could've gone a lot weirder with this and made it a lot better. Have Spud play the teenage McGee amongst actual teenagers to draw attention to the fact he's a 50 year old man playing someone in his late-20s to late-30s. Have the Gallaghers as a two-headed man arguing over everything during a hallucination. Have Kevin Shields as Cousin It with big ears.

That Malcom McLaren was one of the most stupid things I've even seen in a film. Did you notice Carl Barat in it, supposedly playing someone called Griff? I thought that may be meant to be Gruff but I can't remember SFA even being mentioned.

Goldentony

I'd say signing Oasis is a sign of losing it quite badly, almost ring a professional and backup level losing it, sit him down losing it type thing, phone his family,"have you heard what Alan's done? he's signed the worst band of all time, I had them on and diseases started flying out of the speakers and at people"