Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 12:24:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Disturbing tracks in odd places

Started by BlodwynPig, March 19, 2021, 08:13:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlodwynPig

Listening to rather excellent experimental/vaporwave/ambient/darkwave album by someone going by the moniker Sapporo Dream, things took a dark turn with this track - at about 3:50, it goes all Twin Peaks backwards effects before the uneasy listening starts (not horrific, just vastly unsettling).

https://boguscollective.bandcamp.com/track/korean-house-of-pain-ft-demonjardim

Any other examples when a track or a song disappears into the bowels of mania? Or the other way around, dark albums/songs that have a release (at the end?)

The Mollusk

The distinctly unpleasant noisy shouty "Brick" with its big industrial hip hop beat at the middle of Alex G's otherwise dreamy experimental folk album "Rocket". I do really like the song and oddly I think it works slapped in the middle of the album there but it's definitely jarring and a brave/daft artistic decision.

I always thought the motorik almost Suicide-esque "Shoo Be Doo" on The Cars' "Candy-O" was a bizarre choice as well. But much like "Brick", it sits in the middle of the album and I think it works really well. I also think this track segues the two halves of the album well, it propels nicely into the more dynamic and adventurous second half.

kngen

Johnboy

There's a track near the end of Fleet Foxes' Helplessness Blues album that has discordant brass on it that really pokes out and punctures the preceding mood.

I can't quite get my head round it, it always jars and I'm not averse to discordant brass generally.