Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 03:36:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Grown man confesses to enjoying Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Started by madhair60, March 19, 2021, 11:03:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

QuoteNinja Turtles: The Next Mutation (a teenage mutant ninja FEMALE turtle? Do me a favour!)

Best not read the IDW comics, as there are currently two female turtles - though both of them were originally humans and only one is a ninja.

madhair60

I can only hope that was said with fierce irony, though balls to Venus de Milo, obvs.

The IDW comics are worth reading from the beginning but bear in mind they are very "decompressed", as seems to be the way with modern western comics in general. Takes about four issues to do one issue's worth of story. They are good, but slow going.

notjosh

Quote from: madhair60 on March 24, 2021, 01:46:15 PM
I can only hope that was said with fierce irony, though balls to Venus de Milo, obvs.

That's a fact, jack! I have an issue with additional turtles in general, though in theory I wouldn't be opposed to a gender swap of one of the existing turtles, just for a bit of fun.

Punk Frogs, on the other hand, I am very much in favour of.

Mister Six

One of the reasons Peter Laird was so set against Venus as a character was that he felt that the existence of female mutant ninja turtles undermined the tragic state the four original turtles were in, in that there are four of them, all male, and thus they are the only ones of their kind and the last of their kind, unable to reproduce and have families.

Then again Peter Laird did write a story in TMNT Vol 4 wherein Michelangelo fathers a clutch of eggs with an alien princess, so his views may have changed. Then again again, Vol 4 also reveals that April O'Neil, the original April O'Neil, is a drawing that came to life because of magic. Yeah. So shut up, all the people who bitched their faces off over April being black in Rise of the TMNT. Original April's not even real.

I might check out the collected IDW volumes if/when I have a bit more money.

madhair60

Also I'm pretty sure April is black in the original Mirage ones

Quote from: madhair60 on March 24, 2021, 06:34:59 PM
Also I'm pretty sure April is black in the original Mirage ones
No, she isn't. She has big 80s hair. That's not a fan interpretation, she says to the turtles that she got her hair done at "one of those new wave places". Additionally she starts off working for Baxter Stockman, who is black in the Mirage continuity, and there's a clear difference in the way they're shaded.

Not that that matters really, because the only two things consistent about April O'Neill in every continuity are 1) her name is April O'Neill 2) she's friends with the turtles. Two versions of her weren't even human.

AngryGazelle

Apparently The Last Ronin is being adapted into a videogame