Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 07:30:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Falcon and the Winter Soldier

Started by Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth, March 19, 2021, 01:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VelourSpirit

It would be interesting if Daredevil was dusted and comes back realising death was all just nothingness. Perhaps too cynical and Torchwoody for Disney though. It might even just be better to have had Daredevil alive so a 5+ year gap since his Netflix series could explain the soft rebooting (I accept no alternative where Charlie Cox doesn't reprise the role)

Dr Rock

Quote from: mothman on April 13, 2021, 11:50:40 PMAnd what about the people on moving vehicles when they blipped? Did they retain that momentum when they returned? Did the skies rain people who'd been on airliners 5yrs before, killing people on the ground below, unblipped and returned alike?

Maybe when Hulk wished them back to life he was like 'and I mean safely, like if they were on a plane, put them back to the last place they would be safe.' 

touchingcloth

Quote from: mothman on April 13, 2021, 11:50:40 PM
Did anything happen to them though? They just ceased to exist. And then that got undone and they came back.

There are so many stories you could tell about the Blip, both those who went and then came back and this who remained. The people who were able to move on with their lives, build new ones even - and then all of a sudden the people they lost are back with nothing having changed for THEM. The ones who came back to find loved ones couldn't live without them, so... didn't. And what about the people on moving vehicles when they blipped? Did they retain that momentum when they returned? Did the skies rain people who'd been on airliners 5yrs before, killing people on the ground below, unblipped and returned alike?

But the science of the blip? Nah, just put that down to wibbly-wobbly woo. The more you poke at that the more it falls apart. These seven stones, they're like the cornerstones of the universe but you can actually destroy them and just get lightly singed doing so? Seems a bit sus to me.

I seem to remember the dust being somehow physical in nature, so I guess planes carrying people who blipped either reached their destination or crashed, just with slightly dustier seats than usual.

I'd never really considered before that a quarter or all planes in the sky would have had both pilots dusted, so with post-911 protocols being what they are no one would have been able to enter the cockpit to save them. Fun!

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: touchingcloth on April 13, 2021, 11:14:21 PM
Do you think at any point we'll see what happened to all the people[nb]And elephants, fish, aliens, plants, one has to assume. [/nb] that Thanos dusted at any point? I keep assuming there's a story missing somewhere about the Quantum Realm, and its relevance to time travel and blippies.
From their perspective they instantly jumped forward five years, hence it being called The Blip.

Mister Six

Quote from: mothman on April 13, 2021, 11:50:40 PM
There are so many stories you could tell about the Blip, both those who went and then came back and this who remained. The people who were able to move on with their lives, build new ones even - and then all of a sudden the people they lost are back with nothing having changed for THEM. The ones who came back to find loved ones couldn't live without them, so... didn't.

Now you're making me want to watch The Leftovers again.

QuoteAnd what about the people on moving vehicles when they blipped? Did they retain that momentum when they returned? Did the skies rain people who'd been on airliners 5yrs before, killing people on the ground below, unblipped and returned alike?

Nah, Tony used the magic nonsense to fix that. Everyone came back just fine.

Dr Rock

It was Hulk that brought everyone back (safely). Tony dusted Thanos and his army.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on April 14, 2021, 12:51:57 AM
From their perspective they instantly jumped forward five years, hence it being called The Blip.

Isn't there a bit in one of the post-blip films where Spiderman talks about what it was like after being dusted? I seem to remember him talking in a way which suggested he had some awareness of being in an other-wordly place.

Glebe

Watched first episode last night. Quite action and incident packed, looking forward to the rest of it.

mothman

Quote from: Mister Six on April 14, 2021, 01:49:31 AM
Now you're making me want to watch The Leftovers again.

Me too!

QuoteNah, Tony used the magic nonsense to fix that. Everyone came back just fine.

And, as you and Dr Rock suggest, I'm rather hoping that there was some sort of component of Hulk's "wish" that accounted for it.

Mister Six

Oh right, yeah, Hulk, not Tony.

Basically, yeah. I doubt they'd make that a part of the story as it would be astoundingly meanspirited and undercut the "we did it!" moment, and the mechanics of how it was achieved are so vaguely written that there's no reason to assume Hulk couldn't have made sure everyone was safe.

The Culture Bunker

I imagine he had to put a lot of thought into it - "... oh, and anybody who was having open heart surgery and got dusted. They'll come back and be alright, not, y'know, suddenly on a table with their chest open". But I guess they sort-of wrote it that the stones have some form of mind-reading power so that they got the gist of what whoever used them wanted (probably due to the mind stone).

VelourSpirit

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on April 14, 2021, 07:58:53 PM
I imagine he had to put a lot of thought into it - "... oh, and anybody who was having open heart surgery and got dusted. They'll come back and be alright, not, y'know, suddenly on a table with their chest open". But I guess they sort-of wrote it that the stones have some form of mind-reading power so that they got the gist of what whoever used them wanted (probably due to the mind stone).
Yeah I doubt he'd have to think of every possible thing, just a general "bring them back but safely" kind of thing. There's already so many stories they can tell with the blip - relationship drama, people waking up 5 years later to find their lives changed or that they've lost people, people missing years of their children's lives - I think an extra "oh and everyone who was dusted while in a vehicle, which would be millions and millions of people, died when they came back because they came back in midair travelling at great speed" would be gratuitous

Honestly for all Marvel gets shit for it over many of their films and comics, they took the concept of "characters not staying dead" to a crazy place. It really makes Endgame feel grand and special, setting up this 5 year timeskip and world shattering event that is so all encompassing that EVERY film/series now is going to be affected by it. Totally clever way to meaningfully change the status quo.

Quote from: TwinPeaks on April 15, 2021, 01:05:20 AM
Totally clever way to meaningfully change the status quo.
The Inifinity Stones can do whatever you want. All over the world.

mothman

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on April 15, 2021, 05:33:14 PM
The Inifinity Stones can do whatever you want. All over the world.

Jeff Lynne phones his lawyer.

Mister Six

I mean, if you want to be really picky about it, if everyone reappeared where they were five years previously, they would have just materialised floating in space, because the planet would be in a different position and rotation to where it was when they vanished.[nb]Not to mention all the countless trillions of other species that were blipped away on their home planets, moons, orbitals, ships, etc.[/nb]

Magic stones made everything okay, that's all you need to know.

Also, the whole reason Thanos was doing a Blipdozy was to increase the share of available resources, so don't think you[nb]Yes, you. Smartarse.[/nb] are clever by saying that he must have blipped away half of the farm animals, vegetables and whatnot. Of course he didn't.

Anyway. Goofy as he may look in the costume, I'm rather liking Walker's story. They could easily have written him as a one dimensional, failing upwards, entitled tosser. That's certainly the impression I got from his smirking first appearance, but having him genuinely wanting to do good while cracking under the weight of expectation is much more interesting. In the wrong hands (or gob) his line about the Dora Milaje not even being super soldiers could have sounded like toxic alpha bro whining, but Wyatt Russell sold it as the sound of a man who feels like a failure. It all ties in with Zemo's talk of people becoming icons and that.

It feels like a bit of metatextual casting, what with Russell also inheriting a famous name.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on April 16, 2021, 12:01:30 AM
Also, the whole reason Thanos was doing a Blipdozy was to increase the share of available resources, so don't think you[nb]Yes, you. Smartarse.[/nb] are clever by saying that he must have blipped away half of the farm animals, vegetables and whatnot. Of course he didn't.

https://birthmoviesdeath.com/2018/07/08/kevin-feige-still-wont-tell-us-all-marvels-future-plans

Interviewer: Are half the animals dead? Are half of the horses gone? Half of the ants?

Feige: Yes! Yes. All life.

Ner ner.

mothman

The more you think about it the more it starts to fall apart. ALL life? Plankton, algae, all that microscopic stuff that's responsible for photosynthesis and the nitrogen cycle and whatnot? Half the grass? Half the trees?

I suppose at least Robin Ince & Brian Cox would finally know if strawberries are alive or dead if half of the strawberries vanish. Assuming they both didn't vanish too...

touchingcloth

He could also have simply wished for twice the food, like Jesus with those loaves.

Dr Rock

Ghosts and vampires would've been alright. And mummies.

VelourSpirit

Quote from: Dr Rock on April 16, 2021, 05:18:20 AM
Ghosts and vampires would've been alright. And mummies.
Probably why Blade's coming out soon, higher vampire to human ratio

bakabaka

This week I'm going to try watching it old school style, son not while cooking dinner, washing up and taking the bins out. With any luck I'll miss fewer of the essential plot points and I won't feel the need to play What If...

colacentral

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on April 16, 2021, 12:01:30 AM

Anyway. Goofy as he may look in the costume, I'm rather liking Walker's story. They could easily have written him as a one dimensional, failing upwards, entitled tosser. That's certainly the impression I got from his smirking first appearance, but having him genuinely wanting to do good while cracking under the weight of expectation is much more interesting. In the wrong hands (or gob) his line about the Dora Milaje not even being super soldiers could have sounded like toxic alpha bro whining, but Wyatt Russell sold it as the sound of a man who feels like a failure. It all ties in with Zemo's talk of people becoming icons and that.

It feels like a bit of metatextual casting, what with Russell also inheriting a famous name.

I agree.

It seems to me to be about the idea that the people who deserve power the least are the people who most want it, or however the line goes. Characters are getting on at Falcon for giving up the shield, but that's precisely why he deserves it. On the other hand, Walker desperately wants to be Captain America, thinks he's owed respect just for being bestowed the title before doing anything to earn respect, and his reason for wanting that power and respect stems from insecurity. When someone with an inferiority complex gets power, that's what happens. Like you said, it ties in with what Zemo's been saying. Many people sign up to the police or the army and become thugs who relish wielding control over other people; it wouldn't be any different if you could sign up to be a superhero.

Yes, but my interpretation is less that he thinks he's inherently owed respect and more that he sees the role as his chance for redemption and is increasingly frustrated by his inability to live up to it. Impostor syndrome and all that.

bakabaka

That was much better. And I'm definitely looking forward to the shot of the graffiti next week:
Spoiler alert
"CAPTAIN AMERICA IS BLACK"
[close]

stonkers

Quote from: mothman on April 16, 2021, 12:20:35 AM
The more you think about it the more it starts to fall apart. ALL life? Plankton, algae, all that microscopic stuff that's responsible for photosynthesis and the nitrogen cycle and whatnot? Half the grass? Half the trees?

I suppose at least Robin Ince & Brian Cox would finally know if strawberries are alive or dead if half of the strawberries vanish. Assuming they both didn't vanish too...

Apparently the canon answer is yes, he wiped out half the plants etc as well. And it's canon that Hulk brought everyone back safe so nobody was falling out of the air, into the middle of a motorway or whatever.

touchingcloth

So I wonder if Sam's surprise this week is
Spoiler alert
a Black Panther suit, or a vibranium Cap one
[close]
?

I'd quite like to see him taking
Spoiler alert
the heart-shaped herb, then meeting his dad in the ancestral plain only to ask him how to fix the boat pump
[close]

mothman

Quote from: stonkers on April 16, 2021, 07:04:09 PM
Apparently the canon answer is yes, he wiped out half the plants etc as well. And it's canon that Hulk brought everyone back safe so nobody was falling out of the air, into the middle of a motorway or whatever.

I know, but it's FUN to kick this stuff around!

It's statistically likely that a fair few people blipped mid-shag, you know. Imagine what that would be like for the unblipped parties. Fairly traumatic however well you knew them.[nb]And yes
Spoiler alert
The Leftovers
[close]
is an inspiration for this.[/nb]

So they returned naked or partly clothed wherever returned to[nb]Yup,
Spoiler alert
The Leftovers
[close]
again.[/nb] (see also: in the bath, shower etc.). That'd be awkward.[nb]And then there's the people who were wanking when blipped... I think I may have got too much sun today...[/nb]

stonkers

Quote from: mothman on April 16, 2021, 09:12:39 PM
I know, but it's FUN to kick this stuff around!

It's statistically likely that a fair few people blipped mid-shag, you know. Imagine what that would be like for the unblipped parties. Fairly traumatic however well you knew them.[nb]And yes
Spoiler alert
The Leftovers
[close]
is an inspiration for this.[/nb]

So they returned naked or partly clothed wherever returned to[nb]Yup,
Spoiler alert
The Leftovers
[close]
again.[/nb] (see also: in the bath, shower etc.). That'd be awkward.[nb]And then there's the people who were wanking when blipped... I think I may have got too much sun today...[/nb]

Oh yeah I am with you, and it's always been a bit of a Marvel tradition to get into the silliness of the whole thing - cf No Prizes.

They allude to the animals coming back in Endgame with the birdsong after Hulk does his snap, but you don't see any trees reappearing. Well apart from Groot.

If Thanos wiped out half the shrimp and half the humans, given the rate shrimp breed at AND the reduced human consumption of shrimp during the 5 year blip, would there be an abundance of shrimp for Falcon's shrimp boat once half the shrimp from 2018 came back? [12 marks]

mothman

And... my God... there's also all the...