Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:22:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Lee Hurst having a normal one, again

Started by Kankurette, March 19, 2021, 08:53:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buelligan

Quote from: kryton2.0 on March 21, 2021, 09:15:00 PM
Yeah and some of them are men and are being told to shut up. Not aimed at anyone, but how is it healthy to silence subjects based on gender? Are men not mature enough to discuss female issues? Or their own issues?

What I said was said because that derek said he knew nothing of sexual harassment. 

Whether men individually or as a group, are mature enough to discuss female issues or their own issues is for them to prove and quite unrelated to that.

derek stitt

Quote from: Buelligan on March 21, 2021, 09:14:09 PM
Being absolutely serious for a moment, one of the things people who know nothing at all about sexual harassment can contribute is to listen to people who have had to face it regularly all their lives.  I say this with affection but it needs hearing.

I am listening but, I do not like the political strategy that comes with it. My criticism of knee jerk reaction is nothing to do with being anti feminist, women are just being overly emotional etc etc or that what about men bullshit. I would like to hear more deliberation on the solutions for controlling sexual harassment. That's not happening. This is not just a problem in  feminism, it's in nearly all other political discourse as well.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

I have to take a break from this thread, my eyes hurt from rolling them. LEE HURST HAS HIS PRECIOUS TWITTER ACCOUNT BACK. being suspended from it for two seconds won't hurt his "career".

Buelligan

Quote from: derek stitt on March 21, 2021, 09:31:08 PM
I am listening but, I do not like the political strategy that comes with it. My criticism of knee jerk reaction is nothing to do with being anti feminist, women are just being overly emotional etc etc or that what about men bullshit. I would like to hear more deliberation on the solutions for controlling sexual harassment. That's not happening. This is not just a problem in  feminism, it's in nearly all other political discourse as well.

OK, What solutions have been suggested so far and what do you think about them?  What solutions would you like to suggest?

the hum

Quote from: jobotic on March 21, 2021, 08:44:13 PM
Fellas we need a section called Manchat or something where there won't be any annoying women not listening to us or hanging off our every word because of their ideologies.

We won't say anything awful there because that's not what we're like certainly not but at least we'll be listened to, right?

Thing is, I wouldn't mind a thread where, say, guys can open up about their experiences with toxic masculinity, but then I picture the Trenters wading in and....bleh.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Kankurette on March 21, 2021, 08:01:15 PM
I know. Men bring this fact up whenever women try to have a discussion about our issues and stuff we experience, and tbh you do do this a lot and it makes me wary of bringing up misogyny because men on here will go 'but these things happen to men too' or 'did you know men kill themselves'. We know, trust me. We know. I come from a family with a history of mental illness. My grandad tried to kill himself MULTIPLE TIMES. No, I don't think you're a rape apologist but I don't get why, whenever women talk about misogyny, you have to point out that bad things happen to men. Like, do we need to add caveats now?

I think you'll find I was just replying to your post; which was in in reply to Shoulders pointing out typical misandrist attacks; of which he said being called an incel and a bedroom masturbator to which you said:

Quote from: Kankurette on March 21, 2021, 03:03:16 PM
That basically is it. Men don't get rape threats though. That I know of, anyway.

I was pointing out that it isn't "basically it" and added in some of the other things.  You are now telling me that you know and women know; I'm apparently meant to trust you on this.........I have dealt with lots of suicides, sadly, and I'm sorry to hear about your grandad problems.  I've worked in MH services for the last 20 years and I do know a thing or two about it; by the way the reason I went into this profession was actually all about my mothers poor mental health FWIW.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Jumblegraws on March 21, 2021, 08:39:41 PM
I've seen you making this "but that's not what was said" defence quite a few times. I wonder, does it ever occur to you that PBGC and others don't do this because they get a kick out of vilifying people, but because they recognise (perhaps incorrectly, if I'm being 100% fair to you) the statements being made as cautious, non-commital precursors to the kind of harsher implications they're alluding to?

You've seen me making this a few times because it is common; we don't need to live in the world of hypotheticals here we can read what derek said and what PBGC added into it.  You don't need to be basing this on anything other than the evidence in front of you but you are being a bit unclear; are you suggesting that intentional misrepresentation is acceptable because of previous experiences?

kryton2.0

Quote from: the hum on March 21, 2021, 10:10:34 PM
Thing is, I wouldn't mind a thread where, say, guys can open up about their experiences with toxic masculinity, but then I picture the Trenters wading in and....bleh.

Do we have todraw up a list of people who are and aren't allowed to comment?
Some kind of tick-box?

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: the hum on March 21, 2021, 10:10:34 PM

Oh really why is that? What do you think I would say? I think you'd be surprised perhaps because I have even less time for men that want to use mens issues as a platform for misogyny as women using women's issues as platforms for misandry.  This is something I've been pretty consistent on so I'm not sure what would make you think otherwise.

the hum

Quote from: kryton2.0 on March 21, 2021, 10:28:43 PM
Do we have todraw up a list of people who are and aren't allowed to comment?
Some kind of tick-box?

Hell yeah, a Fox Box.

ProvanFan

Buelligan

kryton2.0

The thing that annoys me, the consensus seems to suggest that well come together and address it, but when we do there's others saying it's a kind of exclusive conversation.
What the fuck?

St_Eddie

poo

Dunno what's worse - the absolute cunt piece of shit, or the fuckwits who engage with him. It's him obvs, but fuck me.

chveik

i don't get it, there's nothing whatsoever controversial in saying that men don't tend to receive rape threats (those prison rape jokes are obviously horrible). do people really have to add caveats to every post they make about sexism? it will quickly get very tedious.

Buelligan

Heheh.  Tedious, you say? 

It is fucking tedious, yes.  I can confirm.  Tedious as fucking fuck.

I know of course that men do commit suicide at higher rates than women - but does the evidence point to this being caused by women suggesting to them online that they masterbate too much?  I'm not sure about that.

It would be daft to suggest that men don't get sexualised barbs aimed at them by women, nor that they don't hurt.  But I've yet to see any man receive a barb which implies a genuine physical threat (such as rape - in circumstances where this is a distinct possibility).  I imagine that women are far, far more likely to suffer from predatory behaviour in the workplace - and therefore weird, lecherous comments about female co-workers are likely to be significantly more intimidating than simply being 'inappropriate' (and I think sacking someone for going on about their colleague's breasts is a perfectly reasonable response, tbh.  Not sure why anyone would think 'bloke bantz' is in any way appropriate at work).

That's not to say that women can't act like arseholes too - of course they can.  Nor that men's complaints in that area shouldn't be taken seriously.  But given that the thread is about Lee Hurst's shit joke and the implied 'they all need a good shag' subtext, I'm not convinced that this is the best thread for whatabouttery.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: chveik on March 21, 2021, 10:47:19 PM
i don't get it, there's nothing whatsoever controversial in saying that men don't tend to receive rape threats (those prison rape jokes are obviously horrible). do people really have to add caveats to every post they make about sexism? it will quickly get very tedious.

If you are referring to my reply to Kankurette; I can only speak for myself but I don't think there is anything controversial about it; I just don't think it is accurate to say men experience misandry just by being called incels or bedroom masturbators.  There was nothing controversial about it; I just added a few more examples to show that wasn't "basically it".  In fact I agreed with Kankurette and said "men don't receive rape threats".

Cheers.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: TheBrownBottle on March 21, 2021, 11:02:29 PM
I know of course that men do commit suicide at higher rates than women - but does the evidence point to this being caused by women suggesting to them online that they masterbate too much?  I'm not sure about that.

It would be daft to suggest that men don't get sexualised barbs aimed at them by women, nor that they don't hurt.  But I've yet to see any man receive a barb which implies a genuine physical threat (such as rape - in circumstances where this is a distinct possibility).  I imagine that women are far, far more likely to suffer from predatory behaviour in the workplace - and therefore weird, lecherous comments about female co-workers are likely to be significantly more intimidating than simply being 'inappropriate' (and I think sacking someone for going on about their colleague's breasts is a perfectly reasonable response, tbh.  Not sure why anyone would think 'bloke bantz' is in any way appropriate at work).

That's not to say that women can't act like arseholes too - of course they can.  Nor that men's complaints in that area shouldn't be taken seriously.  But given that the thread is about Lee Hurst's shit joke and the implied 'they all need a good shag' subtext, I'm not convinced that this is the best thread for whatabouttery.

I've not really read the whole thread but again if this is anything to do with my (err one post on the matter) then it isn't anything I was implying; in fact I agree with pretty much everything you've written here. Lee Hurst is an areshole and is making a sexist unacceptable joke, is that actually in any dispute anywhere?

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on March 21, 2021, 11:10:52 PM
I've not really read the whole thread but again if this is anything to do with my (err one post on the matter) then it isn't anything I was implying; in fact I agree with pretty much everything you've written here. Lee Hurst is an areshole and is making a sexist unacceptable joke, is that actually in any dispute anywhere?

It isn't Trenter, but it feels like the thread has got 'off track' a bit - and the point is general, not exclusively aimed at any one poster.  I think what has been brought up by a few on here isn't lacking in validity - but it might be better served in a separate thread (otherwise it might just devolve into a pie fight).

Famous Mortimer

Well, congratulations on derailing another thread so it's about you, and your opinions. I'm sure you're delighted.

mippy

https://mobile.twitter.com/LeeHurstComic/status/1373203285050540032

Not sure if the video bit is because he calls all home entertainment "videos", or if it was actually in the 1990s.

Kankurette

Quote from: kryton2.0 on March 21, 2021, 09:15:00 PM
Yeah and some of them are men and are being told to shut up. Not aimed at anyone, but how is it healthy to silence subjects based on gender? Are men not mature enough to discuss female issues? Or their own issues?
I didn't tell you to shut up, if that's aimed at me. It just feels like women can't talk about certain things on here without men getting defensive. I manage not to go 'well it happens to white people too' when black people talk about racism.

Trenter, I'm telling the truth. I'm not going to go into my family's mental health history in great detail or try to find every discussion about feminism I've been in on the internet just to prove a point. I don't make stuff up on here, I have no need to.

I will say that I've attempted suicide a few times myself. I'm going to stop before it gets depressing. I'm not a mental health nurse but I am a patient.

idunnosomename

did he really make 11m property income? because it looks to me like he's a sad bald man trying to make viral tweets

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Kankurette on March 21, 2021, 11:57:58 PM
Trenter, I'm telling the truth. I'm not going to go into my family's mental health history in great detail or try to find every discussion about feminism I've been in on the internet just to prove a point. I don't make stuff up on here, I have no need to.

I will say that I've attempted suicide a few times myself. I'm going to stop before it gets depressing. I'm not a mental health nurse but I am a patient.

I don't think you are making anything up.  I think we may have got our wires crossed here.

Johnny Yesno

phes

Quote from: idunnosomename on March 22, 2021, 12:12:45 AM
did he really make 11m property income? because it looks to me like he's a sad bald man trying to make viral tweets

Not according to this response

https://twitter.com/Newtralitree/status/1373258106281541638?s=20