Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 05:32:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Lee Hurst having a normal one, again

Started by Kankurette, March 19, 2021, 08:53:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jockice

Quote from: Buelligan on March 20, 2021, 01:54:56 PM
I suggest they try it, see what happens to their account.

Nicking someone else's joke? Surely no comedian would ever do that.

new page brat Hurst.

Buelligan

Yep.  Not sure that's really the nub of the problem on this occasion.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: idunnosomename on March 20, 2021, 01:44:35 PM
Lee has doubled his amount of followers in the past six months. He still only has 10k which is a bit rubbish for a stand-up but still, the sort of shit that wouldve been universally embarrassing five years ago now is now actively encouraged and normalised by so-called "high-brow" outlets like the telegraph and the spectator.

Quote from: Kankurette on March 19, 2021, 08:53:36 PM
I love how an autistic teenage girl lives rent free in the heads of middle-aged right-wing men.

The motivation for nominating Thunberg as a mouthpiece for the environmentalist movement was cynical - so that any criticism of the message can be deflected and the critic vilified for appearing hostile towards a vulnerable teenage girl. That's not to justify Hurst's 'joke' though, offensive shite like that only undermines the opposing case.

Jockice

Quote from: Dex Sawash on March 20, 2021, 01:06:28 PM
Chocolate Lionel Richie has gone off

Hello was number one this day in 1984. As Pick Of The Pops has just told me. So now you know.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Jockice on March 20, 2021, 01:17:45 PM
It is a pretty crap joke but I think the reaction on here would be different if if had been made by someone popular with this forum or even by one of the posters themselves.
Yes, this hypothetical which is very very unlikely to happen certainly would lead to a different reaction, you're right.

Buelligan

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on March 20, 2021, 01:57:45 PM

Heheh, they're getting better at making people laugh.  What an absolute mare for Team Left.

I mean, what happens if they manage to corner the comedy market and there are no more laughs for any of us peasants.  Laughing all the way to the bank they'll be and we'll just be standing there going meh.  'Magine it.

Consignia

Searching for Lee Hurst on twitter, and this put a smile on my face:

I'm sure not even the most "oh did I offend you" comedians want that label. Although, I guess Rod Liddle embraces it.

Jockice

His account's been suspended. See what you've done now!

Buelligan

Apparently nonce is also off limits now there too.  Don't think Prince Andrew has an account anyway.

El Unicornio, mang

This has reminded me of..

In 2002, Chris Moyles, who was then presenting BBC Radio 1's drive-time show, offered to take Charlotte Church's virginity, saying that he wanted to "lead her through the forest of sexuality now she had reached 16"

Different times the, um, early 2000s

idunnosomename

Lol looks like his account just got suspended

His REAL career starts here!

kryton2.0

El Unicornio, mang

Has it been suspended or has he just voluntarily closed it? Not sure his joke would violate the Twitter rules.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on March 20, 2021, 02:14:34 PM
Has it been suspended or has he just voluntarily closed it? Not sure his joke would violate the Twitter rules.

It said suspended.

El Unicornio, mang

Oh OK, on my phone app it's just coming up as account unavailable.

jobotic

Quote from: Wanking Monk of Kefalonia on March 20, 2021, 01:57:59 PM
The motivation for nominating Thunberg as a mouthpiece for the environmentalist movement was cynical - so that any criticism of the message can be deflected and the critic vilified for appearing hostile towards a vulnerable teenage girl. That's not to justify Hurst's 'joke' though, offensive shite like that only undermines the opposing case.

Imagine expecting us to believe that a teenage girl - and one with autism at that - could decide for herself that she wanted to campaign for stopping the death of the planet. What do these environmentalists take us for??

What's the opposing case by the way? Is it like the opposing case to trying to stop Covid killing us?

bgmnts

Honestly thought the troll wasn't going to be fed then.

kryton2.0

Everyone clapped and only two died of Covid.

idunnosomename

The intellectual comedian has chimed in

https://twitter.com/Baddiel/status/1373214674272063488?s=19

Ahaha yes the ol' bait n switch bathos. Ironically the exact same could be said about Baddiel's joke.

The Dog

The Dog

Fambo Number Mive

Kankurette

Quote from: kryton2.0 on March 20, 2021, 11:41:35 AM
He seems to be openly boasting about ignoring lockdown rules too. And despite saying he takes no part in politics, his posts are awfully political at times. In between his anti-mask bullshit and shit jokes and bullying children about their lack of sexual interest.

Be a real fucking shame if someone was to report his 'ignoring lockdown rules' to the police.
Not at all surprised he's an anti-masker. People like him always are.

Kankurette

Quote from: Wanking Monk of Kefalonia on March 20, 2021, 01:57:59 PM
He's not criticising her message and neither are the hundreds of grown men who say similar things. David Attenborough doesn't get half the abuse Thunberg does. Conservatives also, and I speak from experience here, really fucking despise autistic people. The 4chan lot certainly think we need a good old Project T4-ing.

Zetetic

Quote from: Pink Gregory on March 20, 2021, 01:09:31 PM
Rather than like, listen to her concerns, let's build a statue, yeah that'll help.
This sort of thing:
https://www.winchester.ac.uk/news-and-events/press-centre/media-articles/world-first-in-climate-change-teaching-for-university-of-winchester.php ?

(I believe that a fairly regular poster works for the University in question, incidentally, and they might not have terribly positive views of the above in practice.)

Buelligan

Quote from: jobotic on March 20, 2021, 02:25:28 PM
Imagine expecting us to believe that a teenage girl - and one with autism at that - could decide for herself that she wanted to campaign for stopping the death of the planet. What do these environmentalists take us for??

Yeah, it's just a coincidence that her family are heavily involved in the same cause - she reached such a position of prominence without being cynically used a mascot by powerful transnational organizations. It's pretty naive to think that she's acting entirely of her own agency, and that they couldn't have selected another person to figurehead the movement.

Quote from: jobotic
What's the opposing case by the way?

I'm in favour of policies which encourage goods to be produced locally rather than being shipped round the world, and discourage the use of cars. I'm not on board with Thunberg's approach which involves handing over power to vast global organizations which exert pressure on the people from above.

Quote from: jobotic
Is it like the opposing case to trying to stop Covid killing us?

The measures I've talked about don't stop COVID from killing us though, that's kind of the point. I think the risk from Sars-Cov-2 has been exaggerated and that lockdowns cause tremendous harm to health and economy. The evidence for their efficacy in preventing viral spread is weak at best.