Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:45:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Lee Hurst having a normal one, again

Started by Kankurette, March 19, 2021, 08:53:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jobotic

Quote from: bgmnts on March 20, 2021, 02:26:59 PM
Honestly thought the troll wasn't going to be fed then.

Sorry I'll start running my posts by you first.

Buelligan

Well, I suppose it was just a matter of time.  Lee Hurst making humour about Greta and cock?  We were bound to get a troll or two popping in to shoot the shit.   No harm done.

madhair60

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Wanking nonentity of KefaloniaYeah, it's just a coincidence that her family are heavily involved in the same cause - she reached such a position of prominence without being cynically used a mascot by powerful transnational organizations. It's pretty naive to think that she's acting entirely of her own agency, and that they couldn't have selected another person to figurehead the movement.

Can you ask the powerful transnational organizations to make their minds up, because it would appear pretty much the entire establishment has been trained on shutting Extinction Rebellion down and personally deriding Greta Thunberg (which so far has been woefully unsuccessful beyond triggering the moribund anxieties of white biowaste derelicts).

phes

another middle aged white man fucked right in the Linehan and without even a funeral. goodbye cunt

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Jockice on March 20, 2021, 01:17:45 PM
It is a pretty crap joke but I think the reaction on here would be different if if had been made by someone popular with this forum or even by one of the posters themselves.

I think the fact that none of the edgelords did tells you all you need to know.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on March 20, 2021, 02:14:34 PM
Has it been suspended or has he just voluntarily closed it? Not sure his joke would violate the Twitter rules.

He might well have voluntarily closed it. When Adam Buxton binned his twitter account, he felt the need to reopen it temporarily so he could explain to his followers that it hadn't been suspended by twitter because the notification is the same in both situations.

Fambo Number Mive

They think it's* all over? It is now.

*his tweeting

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Zetetic on March 20, 2021, 02:54:24 PM
This sort of thing:
https://www.winchester.ac.uk/news-and-events/press-centre/media-articles/world-first-in-climate-change-teaching-for-university-of-winchester.php ?

(I believe that a fairly regular poster works for the University in question, incidentally, and they might not have terribly positive views of the above in practice.)

Granted, I was lashing out hopelessly into the wind, and didn't take into account that they might do other, better things.

JamesTC

I'm starting to wonder if right-wingers are cancelling themselves by saying stupid shit in order to make money off "free speech advocates" (read: cunts).

idunnosomename

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on March 20, 2021, 03:55:23 PM
He might well have voluntarily closed it. When Adam Buxton binned his twitter account, he felt the need to reopen it temporarily so he could explain to his followers that it hadn't been suspended by twitter because the notification is the same in both situations.
This doesn't show up for anything you can do yourself
QuoteAccount suspended
Twitter suspends accounts which violate the Twitter Rules

it might be he get it back by deleting the tweet. wouldn't want to lose those 10,000 followers!!!

phes

Quote from: idunnosomename on March 20, 2021, 06:26:55 PM
This doesn't show up for anything you can do yourself
it might be he get it back by deleting the tweet. wouldn't want to lose those 10,000 followers!!!

Doesn't twitter leave the account up and remove the option to tweet if you've had your wrist smacked and given a way out?

I think this is terminal

kryton2.0

Quote from: JamesTC on March 20, 2021, 06:20:29 PM
I'm starting to wonder if right-wingers are cancelling themselves by saying stupid shit in order to make money off "free speech advocates" (read: cunts).

He's not right wing, Lee Hurst thinks the left and right are circuses and anyone who takes a side in politics is a sheep. Despite the hundreds of tweets highlighting him having an opinion in politics, but he's not a sheep. He's a man who will boldly shrug past a security guard in a supermarket whilst refusing to wear a mask. Because he's not a sheep.

imitationleather

Quote from: kryton2.0 on March 20, 2021, 06:46:17 PM
He's not right wing, Lee Hurst thinks the left and right are circuses and anyone who takes a side in politics is a sheep. Despite the hundreds of tweets highlighting him having an opinion in politics, but he's not a sheep. He's a man who will boldly shrug past a security guard in a supermarket whilst refusing to wear a mask. Because he's not a sheep.

Like everyone not interested in politics, he was liable to bang on about how great UKIP were at any given moment.

kryton2.0

Quote from: imitationleather on March 20, 2021, 06:49:25 PM
Like everyone not interested in politics, he was liable to bang on about how great UKIP were at any given moment.

Exactly, because he's not a sheep. He has opinions you see. And shit jokes. And bald.

lipsink

Brundle-Fly

Why can't we have the old Lee back? The one from the 1999 toilet paper advert campaign who used to bang on about his ankylosing spondylitis?

phes

don't think I've ever managed to read a whole David Baddiel tweet without getting bored halfway through

idunnosomename

If anyone made a dick-sucking joke about a 18-year-old tory shill it would be just as awful. It's generally extremely misogynistic and specifically reads like a rape threat

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: lipsink on March 20, 2021, 07:08:08 PM
Oh yeah, sure. The joke got such a bad reaction from everyone cos it wasn't done properly...

I wonder how many of Baddiel's blue tick supporters will ignore his comments on this. He seems to contradict himself, hasn't even got the balls to back up his stupid original tweet.

QuoteThe reason that Lee Hurst tweet is problematic isn't because it carries underneath it a sense that women, as individuals, with political opinions, are erased by male sexual power. It's problematic because it's a shit gag

I know it's not either/or. Perhaps a better tweet structure would have been "You could say it's problematic because etc etc or you could say because it's a shit gag."  Always happy to workshop these things. Which perhaps is advice Lee should take.

I think there is something abusive towards Greta Thurnberg - and generally misogynistic - in that joke. I also don't think his account should be - certainly not permanently - suspended. Two conflicting thoughts held in the mind at one time: who knew.

Buelligan

Everyone knows, if you want to do a joke properly, you need a pineapple.

lipsink

jobotic

xela1972
@xela19721
·
9h
Nonsense. It's a joke. I thought it was funny. It ends there. Nothing else is implied or endorsed.

Caitrìona
@bigkzee
·

It doesn't end there just because you said so
xela1972
@xela19721
·

It does in terms of my reaction to and appreciation of the joke. That is something only I can be objective about. I have the total authority on that matter.

What do people like xela1972 get out of making comments like this?

It's my opinion which is subjective so you can't say it's wrong case closed

derek stitt

Don't think Hurst joke is rapey or noncey at all. It's that rude, brash, arrogant, ignorant, loud, infantile, misogynistic nonsense so familiar to my pub going ears growing up in the eighties and nineties. Think the joke implies that when Thunberg gets herself a boyfriend he will without question fuck her until her eyes roll back in her head (you can get away with anything once you made em come) and that way the natural order can continue, without the woman causing too much trouble in the future. That's my simplistic reading of it anyway. There may be some projection about wanting to be young and virile again but, nothing pathological. Also, have not heard something like that said in such a blunt fashion in a long time and where I live is really behind the times (Gervais would have gotten one of his seedy pathetic characters to say such a joke). Hurst, knowing the current mood and being aware of the events of the last two weeks, not even trying to attempt to hide the joke behind a veil of  irony makes it all that much more pathetic. Not a very good hill to die on really, getting all nostalgic for when groups of blokes could be held unaccounted. Wonder if Hurst gets all wistful for the unwritten rule of not going to the police when you were glassed in the face for looking at someone funny.

Buelligan

I think it's pretty noncey to, not only think but also write publicly about a person at least forty years younger than you in a sexual way.  From reading the replies to his tweet, I'm guessing quite a few people feel the same way.  And it's a bit rapey because it's crossing a noncey personal boundary, talking like that publicly about another person without invitation.

TBH it's just completely vile.

pupshaw

For "some reason" that tweet does not appear at that link...

Quote from: idunnosomename on March 20, 2021, 02:31:04 PM
The intellectual comedian has chimed in

https://twitter.com/Baddiel/status/1373214674272063488?s=19

Ahaha yes the ol' bait n switch bathos. Ironically the exact same could be said about Baddiel's joke.

It always feels a bit rapey stuff like this to me.  From the school of 'she needs a good, hard shag'.  The laugh with stuff like this can only come from knowing it is completely off, and having enough faith in the person saying it to know that they know it is a horrific thought.  In Hurst's case, no benefit of doubt can be given.  I completely buy that this is his thinking, and the 'joke' is the means of deflecting.

It's just really weird to hear a grown man talk like that.  A dopey 15-year-old boy trying to impress his dopey mates?  Probably.  No excuses for anyone who isn't.

Edit: as an example of the above, put the 'joke' in the mouth of Jay on the Inbetweeners and you might get a smile, because Jay is a lying bullshitting misogynistic idiot but his desperation to impress his mates  explains the stupidity of the shit he comes out with.

Jollity

On the Christmas 2019 special of The Last Leg, a female comedian whose name I've forgotten made a similar joke, and I thought that was nasty. It would be the same if someone on these forums made the joke too. Quite aside from the fact that it's just plain Not Funny, I don't want to know anyone's sex thoughts about public figures or anyone else. There are appropriate places for that kind of thing, but it's intimidating to just hoot about it in public where everyone has to see.

Anyway, Greta Thunberg's mum did Eurovision (2009). She came twenty-first. This is what I know about Greta Thunberg's powerful family.

idunnosomename

Quote from: pupshaw on March 20, 2021, 08:57:21 PM
For "some reason" that tweet does not appear at that link...
he deleted the first few tweets in the thread, as he should. the text of them is copied upthread

pupshaw

Quote from: idunnosomename on March 20, 2021, 09:41:09 PM
he deleted the first few tweets in the thread, as he should. the text of them is copied upthread

Yeah, I read the tweet, but I'm slightly outraged that this bold and brave social discourse is being suppressed by the cancel culture AGAIN!!!