Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,474
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:46:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Comic Relief 2021

Started by Malcy, March 19, 2021, 09:11:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcy

On now but waiting for the various bits to hit YouTube.

I did watch Rob Brydon's Now That's What I Call Comic Relief just now. Oddly some of the songs were a good few pitches lower. Tony Ferrino & Bjork's Short Term Affair sounded like the tape was broke & even Brydon's own Islands In The Stream sounded a bit off as well. Anyone else notice it?

These are the bits and bobs that have been on. Will probably add them as they go up.

2020 The Movie Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lW0-LF4AHzs

Staged 1592

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-0OUy7tIxc

Norton Canes

"Do you expect me to laugh?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to watch Nan."

Captain Z

I flicked it on just as they were announcing literally the only thing worse than Gary Barlow singing - Gary Barlow dueting with... himself.

mrClaypole

Even worse than the one 2 years ago.

petril

I've only just realised it's been The News for 11 minutes

DrGreggles

This tonight? Forgot to ignore it.

idunnosomename

fucking hell can we sit in a bath of beans to stop comic relief

kalowski

Is Partridge on at any point?

Malcy

Malcy

Quote from: Captain Z on March 19, 2021, 09:46:51 PM
I flicked it on just as they were announcing literally the only thing worse than Gary Barlow singing - Gary Barlow dueting with... himself.

Fuckin' hell.

Jittlebags

Must be just me, but when I hear the phrase Comic Relief, I think about being wanked off by a clown.

BlodwynPig

Is captain tom doing the conga for covid this year?

Tony Tony Tony

Quote from: Jittlebags on March 19, 2021, 10:45:01 PM
Must be just me, but when I hear the phrase Comic Relief, I think about being wanked off by a clown.

Bung me a tenner and I will put on some huge shoes and honk a horn whilst vigorously bashing your bishop.

up_the_hampipe

How long has Comic Relief been shit for? I have fond memories up to about the mid-00s. Was it always shit or has it gone to shit the past few years?

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: Malcy on March 19, 2021, 09:11:14 PM
2020 The Movie Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-0OUy7tIxc

The odd thing about stuff like this is that Don LaFontaine has been dead for over a decade and genuine trailers with his style of voiceover were a joke even before he passed away. Anyone old enough to remember those trailers will also be old enough to have seen them parodied ad nauseam since at least the '90s and anyone younger than that won't get the reference of what's being parodied. Who is this aimed at? Nobody, there was just time to be filled.

neveragain

I'm no BBC-basher, generally, but tonight was dismal. When you think they actually used to have properly written pre-recorded sketches peppered throughout the night, and then Ken Dodd might come on for a bit. Okay that's unlikely now but, just as with the Secret Policeman's Balls, Comic Relief went downhill whenever somebody decided that music/otjer entertainment was as important as the comedy. Tonight was so slim.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on March 19, 2021, 11:53:39 PM
How long has Comic Relief been shit for? I have fond memories up to about the mid-00s. Was it always shit or has it gone to shit the past few years?

The first few specials were brilliant. A real sense of 'anarchic alternative comedians taking over the airwaves'. That was over 30 years ago.

This is great. These days, at around midnight, you'd have Gary Barlow coming on while Paddy McGuinness and Davina pretend to look amazed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Idt295WDqXU

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Catherine Tate playing Nan? In the year 2021?

BlodwynPig

How much did it raise? 50 pence...

Comic Relief is a JOKE

Malcy

There was fuck all this year. There's usually at least 1 thing that's decent. There was a few things on the music show I had never seen before.

Replies From View

Lenny Henry started to become spread too thinly when he was working on Chef.  Comic Relief was never the same after that.

Replies From View

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on March 20, 2021, 03:18:35 AM
Here's the 1989 telethon in its entirety: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dmgiRPbviU

Here is some Broom Cupboard antics from that day, with Andy Crane, Edd the Duck and the arm of Wilson:  https://youtu.be/iyE8qtbhFsk

Those early red noses kept constantly falling off, I remember that.

Replies From View

Was Band Aid meant to be a pun on the name of the sticking plaster?  I suppose I could google this myself but if anyone has any of their own accrued knowledge it would be more interesting.

In my head, for all these years, the connection has been there but I always assumed it was some kind of a bizarre coincidence rather than Geldoff saying "this is only a surface-level solution to this problem", which is what using a sticking plaster implies.

Replies From View

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on March 20, 2021, 09:46:31 AM
It was, yes.

I wonder whether it was a coin toss between that and Elastoplast.

Bono's original line was "Well tonight I'm gonna get plastered like a bastard."

Panbaams

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on March 20, 2021, 03:17:15 AM
The first few specials were brilliant. A real sense of 'anarchic alternative comedians taking over the airwaves'. That was over 30 years ago.

I distinctly remember a moment (but I'm not sure which year it was) when Lenny Henry decided to invade BBC2, which was showing this live late-night round-table discussion between a bunch of old blokes. Flicking between 1 and 2, between Lenny Henry walking through a load of corridors at Television Centre, and then these blokes talking about some hifalutin topic with no idea of what's about to hit them.

wrec

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on March 20, 2021, 09:51:36 AM
Bono's original line was "Well tonight I'm gonna get plastered like a bastard."

They all thought it was a good gauze ☹️