Author Topic: Comic Relief 2021  (Read 4576 times)

Rizla

• That's not another knife - THIS is another knife!
Re: Comic Relief 2021
« Reply #60 on: March 23, 2021, 04:40:42 PM »
That Blankety Blank thing is superb. Do we know who wrote it?

Seemingly written by Serafinowicz, with some dialogue by Kevin Cecil and Andy Riley.

« Reply #61 on: March 23, 2021, 06:45:04 PM »
I've always thought it was Serafinowitz & Popper, not sure why.
Maybe I heard it somewhere - or imagined it.

« Reply #62 on: March 23, 2021, 10:41:10 PM »
Walliams (surprise, surprise) is easily the weakest link in that sketch. The other impressions are great, even the surreal Rushton, but he can't even manage a generic Welsh accent.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

• I just want to tell you I've got scabs on my head.
« Reply #63 on: March 23, 2021, 10:49:14 PM »
Walliams (surprise, surprise) is easily the weakest link in that sketch. The other impressions are great, even the surreal Rushton, but he can't even manage a generic Welsh accent.

Agreed. Even the Liza Goddard impression ( by Mrs Serafinowicz) is pretty much spot on.

neveragain

• like those swamp tar pits that bubble and go Gloop
« Reply #64 on: March 23, 2021, 10:56:49 PM »
Whether it makes any difference to your opinion of his performance, Walliams was (by his own account) in a very bad way when that was recorded - look how thin he is - and after filming he went straight to a mental health facility.

Regardless of that, I find his "You're never going to be a yellowcoat! Never! Never! Never!" quite funny. Weak spot of the piece for me is Jonny Rotten, not because of Freeman but just that he doesn't do anything. Wonder if his big moment was cut.

« Reply #65 on: March 24, 2021, 12:03:01 AM »
Weak spot of the piece for me is Jonny Rotten, not because of Freeman but just that he doesn't do anything. Wonder if his big moment was cut.

I like it when, despite his earlier behaviour, he seems genuinely pleased to be asked to help in the prize game.

« Reply #66 on: March 24, 2021, 08:23:01 AM »
Pretty much no weak spots in it as far as I'm concerned.

Tikwid

• Always got to wash them at their ends
« Reply #67 on: March 24, 2021, 10:21:27 PM »
A great sketch on almost all accounts but I have to ask, was Willie Rushton really that strongly associated with his grunting noises? I'm too young to have seen him make TV appearances but I'm familiar with his voice acting in The Trap Door and the Ian Emes animated short The Beard - both of which are rife with moans and groans, very much like the ones in the sketch - but no way that was the exclusive remit of his VA work, right?

« Reply #68 on: March 24, 2021, 10:22:26 PM »
What was Adam and Joe's stand up masterclass?

Brundle-Fly

• "Why don't you do something to help me?"
« Reply #69 on: March 24, 2021, 10:47:59 PM »
A great sketch on almost all accounts but I have to ask, was Willie Rushton really that strongly associated with his grunting noises? I'm too young to have seen him make TV appearances but I'm familiar with his voice acting in The Trap Door and the Ian Emes animated short The Beard - both of which are rife with moans and groans, very much like the ones in the sketch - but no way that was the exclusive remit of his VA work, right?

I suppose the joke was that back then Willie Rushton was renowned for being a well-spoken, intellectual satirist but also for looking a bit crazy with his trademark scraggly long hair and beard. Frost seized on that and made him into this sort of burbling caveman.

Tikwid

• Always got to wash them at their ends
« Reply #70 on: March 24, 2021, 11:29:50 PM »
I suppose the joke was that back then Willie Rushton was renowned for being a well-spoken, intellectual satirist but also for looking a bit crazy with his trademark scraggly long hair and beard. Frost seized on that and made him into this sort of burbling caveman.
That makes a lot more sense thinking about it - definitely an interesting contrast with some of the other very accurate impressions, and then there's one that's just totally off the mark, false Rod Hull style.[1].
 1. MY TWO ARMS ARE IN PERFECT WORKING ORDER AND ARE AS REAL AS IS THE LONG DAY

petrilTanaka

• Are we counting shites?
« Reply #71 on: March 25, 2021, 08:35:43 AM »

I can imagine Pegg, Serafinowicz et al at the early readthroughs going "'s' fine Nick, if you can't do the voice we'll do some daft grunting and you can make that work easy"

« Reply #72 on: March 25, 2021, 10:57:51 AM »
I can imagine Pegg, Serafinowicz et al at the early readthroughs going "'s' fine Nick, if you can't do the voice we'll do some daft grunting and you can make that work easy"

I thought that was pretty much it - with a hint of Wookie.

Echo Valley 2-6809

• Part of no circle
« Reply #73 on: April 03, 2021, 04:46:04 PM »
Seemingly written by Serafinowicz, with some dialogue by Kevin Cecil and Andy Riley.

It was Serafinowicz with his brother and Sarah Alexander who wrote it. Presumably Riley et al were involved with providing some lines later.

Tags: