Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:12:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Comic Relief 2021

Started by Malcy, March 19, 2021, 09:11:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rizla

DrGreggles

I've always thought it was Serafinowitz & Popper, not sure why.
Maybe I heard it somewhere - or imagined it.

nec1974

Walliams (surprise, surprise) is easily the weakest link in that sketch. The other impressions are great, even the surreal Rushton, but he can't even manage a generic Welsh accent.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: nec1974 on March 23, 2021, 10:41:10 PM
Walliams (surprise, surprise) is easily the weakest link in that sketch. The other impressions are great, even the surreal Rushton, but he can't even manage a generic Welsh accent.

Agreed. Even the Liza Goddard impression ( by Mrs Serafinowicz) is pretty much spot on.

neveragain

Whether it makes any difference to your opinion of his performance, Walliams was (by his own account) in a very bad way when that was recorded - look how thin he is - and after filming he went straight to a mental health facility.

Regardless of that, I find his "You're never going to be a yellowcoat! Never! Never! Never!" quite funny. Weak spot of the piece for me is Jonny Rotten, not because of Freeman but just that he doesn't do anything. Wonder if his big moment was cut.

DrGreggles

Quote from: neveragain on March 23, 2021, 10:56:49 PM
Weak spot of the piece for me is Jonny Rotten, not because of Freeman but just that he doesn't do anything. Wonder if his big moment was cut.

I like it when, despite his earlier behaviour, he seems genuinely pleased to be asked to help in the prize game.

Virgo76

Pretty much no weak spots in it as far as I'm concerned.

Tikwid

A great sketch on almost all accounts but I have to ask, was Willie Rushton really that strongly associated with his grunting noises? I'm too young to have seen him make TV appearances but I'm familiar with his voice acting in The Trap Door and the Ian Emes animated short The Beard - both of which are rife with moans and groans, very much like the ones in the sketch - but no way that was the exclusive remit of his VA work, right?

Scrapey Fish

What was Adam and Joe's stand up masterclass?

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Tikwid on March 24, 2021, 10:21:27 PM
A great sketch on almost all accounts but I have to ask, was Willie Rushton really that strongly associated with his grunting noises? I'm too young to have seen him make TV appearances but I'm familiar with his voice acting in The Trap Door and the Ian Emes animated short The Beard - both of which are rife with moans and groans, very much like the ones in the sketch - but no way that was the exclusive remit of his VA work, right?

I suppose the joke was that back then Willie Rushton was renowned for being a well-spoken, intellectual satirist but also for looking a bit crazy with his trademark scraggly long hair and beard. Frost seized on that and made him into this sort of burbling caveman.

Tikwid

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on March 24, 2021, 10:47:59 PM
I suppose the joke was that back then Willie Rushton was renowned for being a well-spoken, intellectual satirist but also for looking a bit crazy with his trademark scraggly long hair and beard. Frost seized on that and made him into this sort of burbling caveman.
That makes a lot more sense thinking about it - definitely an interesting contrast with some of the other very accurate impressions, and then there's one that's just totally off the mark, false Rod Hull style.[nb]MY TWO ARMS ARE IN PERFECT WORKING ORDER AND ARE AS REAL AS IS THE LONG DAY[/nb].

petril

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on March 24, 2021, 10:47:59 PM

I can imagine Pegg, Serafinowicz et al at the early readthroughs going "'s' fine Nick, if you can't do the voice we'll do some daft grunting and you can make that work easy"

vainsharpdad

Quote from: petrilTanaka on March 25, 2021, 08:35:43 AM
I can imagine Pegg, Serafinowicz et al at the early readthroughs going "'s' fine Nick, if you can't do the voice we'll do some daft grunting and you can make that work easy"

I thought that was pretty much it - with a hint of Wookie.

Echo Valley 2-6809

Quote from: Rizla on March 23, 2021, 04:40:42 PM
Seemingly written by Serafinowicz, with some dialogue by Kevin Cecil and Andy Riley.

It was Serafinowicz with his brother and Sarah Alexander who wrote it. Presumably Riley et al were involved with providing some lines later.