Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,183
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:20:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

This TfL cunt sat opposite me on the tube today

Started by The Mollusk, March 20, 2021, 11:32:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dex Sawash

Was at the big charity store yesterday, there was a lady shopping with mask on chin, eating tuna out of a can with her fingers. She had some clothing and household items in her cart with the tuna balanced on top.

Butchers Blind

Quote from: The Mollusk on March 21, 2021, 08:34:04 AM
Feel fucking wretched about this whole thing now

We can do a Twitter reach out and get you two together so you can find some common ground.

buttgammon

Quote from: canadagoose on March 21, 2021, 09:57:33 AM
Why exactly are TfL staff exempt from wearing masks? Seems daft to me. What if one of them catches it and spreads it to all their passengers?

Anyway, if he was eating with his mouth open I automatically hate him and would have moved away. Can't be doing with that.

Based on public transport policy here, my guess would be that it's aimed at drivers and the like who would be behind a protective screen anyway - surely it's not intended to allow staff to sit in the middle of the carriage without a mask?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: canadagoose on March 21, 2021, 09:57:33 AM
Why exactly are TfL staff exempt from wearing masks? Seems daft to me. What if one of them catches it and spreads it to all their passengers?

Wrongthink throughout the pandemic. I suppose at best you could apply Bayes' theorem.

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: buttgammon on March 21, 2021, 10:52:38 AM
Based on public transport policy here, my guess would be that it's aimed at drivers and the like who would be behind a protective screen anyway - surely it's not intended to allow staff to sit in the middle of the carriage without a mask?

That's correct

QuoteOur staff will wear a face covering if they are working in a public area, unless they are exempt for medical reasons. You may notice our staff working in non-customer facing roles without a face covering. This could include staff carrying out maintenance or driving a train or bus.

On buses we have installed a protective film and sealed gaps around the driver's cab screen to protect our staff and customers. Because of this, our bus drivers are not required to wear face coverings when inside the driver's cab.

Whilst the Tfl staff member in question wasn't working in a public area, he was in a public area facing customers, and therefore, unless he had a medical exemption, should have worn a face covering. Whilst I think (I might be wrong) you are allowed to remove your face covering to eat or drink on the train (though why people can't just wait, given a Victoria Line journey doesn't take that long), the video shows him not wearing it when he wasn't eating.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: The Mollusk on March 21, 2021, 08:34:04 AM
Feel fucking wretched about this whole thing now

Don't feel bad, you're a really good person.

The Mollusk

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on March 21, 2021, 11:30:00 AM
Don't feel bad, you're a really good person.

Thank you :) x

Hangover following a night on whiskey and 11% Belgian beers isn't helping anything!

kryton2.0

Quote from: The Mollusk on March 20, 2021, 10:28:01 PM
Also should state I'm pissed as fuck and this right now is the best time to catch me at my most emotionally vulnerable and apologetic. Shame I probably will sign off after this and wallow in miserable replies tomorrow! LOL!!!

Don't feel bad, I'm guilty of posting stuff when drunk too[nb]I'd wager at least 40% of all posters here have done this too[/nb], which I too use as a bit of a crutch. Hope you're not too hungover today.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Dex Sawash on March 21, 2021, 10:09:55 AM
Was at the big charity store yesterday, there was a lady shopping with mask on chin, eating tuna out of a can with her fingers. She had some clothing and household items in her cart with the tuna balanced on top.

Alright, Alan Bennett.

( Also, is it worth me doing a " Derek and Clive reconsider dialogue "post, in response to the thread title?)

flotemysost

It's definitely tough being in constant limbo between wanting to vent the righteous anger and frustration triggered by seeing these selfish idiots, but feeling anxious about confronting a stranger. The last time I got on a bus, last year, I did actually end up calling someone a stupid cunt out loud - which probably was a bit of of order, and I should have monitored my language in a public place really - but he'd plonked himself down on the seat right next to me and promptly pinged his mask down round his chin once he'd sat down (I tried a polite "er, excuse me, social distancing?" first and he gave a shitty reply). Just such flagrant disregard for my discomfort and the other passengers' safety, so I don't feel bad about it.

Most of the time now when I see people being twats I just glare at them (I've got indelible frown lines now from conveying so much disappointment and anger via the top half of my face), but then I hate myself for how passive-aggressive and petty and ultimately futile that feels. Then I remind myself we're in a lethal pandemic but some people won't even do something as simple as wear a fucking face mask properly for fifteen minutes while they go round a supermarket, and I feel cross at myself for not saying anything. I can only imagine the cumulative effect of the stress and conflict of having to get on public transport every day and being confronted with this stuff all the time.

The Mollusk

Thank you for that! I'm too melted to give a proper reply today but the relatability is really appreciated.

Pranet

Yeah, on my last two trips on public transport, at the end of the first one I was moved to mutter "fucking selfish cunts" under my breath as I left, and during the second I had to move my seat. So if I had to use public transport everyday I would either be arrested or have had the shit kicked out of me by now.

Blue Jam

Had to slip my mask down to use my asthma inhaler while in a shop the other day. Was properly nervous and really hoping no-one would attack me over it.

Some people are mask-exempt and getting a load of shit from people who forget this. This has been making me really anxious.

Try not to apply black-and-white thinking to this please.

Drygate

I think you have to try and rationalise it be looking at the "statistics".

How many positive cases are there a day? What is the chance this one guy has covid?

If he has covid, what is the chance that he's capable of spreading it?  If he is capable of spreading it, what are the chances that he will spread it in your direction? If he does spread it in your direction, what are the chances what he speads is able to actually infect you? If it does end up near you, what is the chance that you will get enough of it to become symptomatic and/or capable of spreading it on?

When you look at it like that, it's probably a million to one shot.

I'm not saying that to absolve the guy. More that it might not be as dire as situation as you might think so don't stress too much.

Easy for me to say but sometimes I find it helpful if I try and rationalise things, otherwise I'd go insane.

Kankurette

Quote from: Blue Jam on March 22, 2021, 12:18:40 AM
Had to slip my mask down to use my asthma inhaler while in a shop the other day. Was properly nervous and really hoping no-one would attack me over it.

Some people are mask-exempt and getting a load of shit from people who forget this. This has been making me really anxious.

Try not to apply black-and-white thinking to this please.
Despite my post on another thread, I'm not going to yell at people for not wearing masks or having to remove them for whatever reasons. Take your inhaler and fuck anyone who judges you, frankly.

You could've just confronted him rather than creepily posting his picture online.

Rev+

I know the pics and link are gone - for the best, almost certainly - but there's a world of difference between the way Blue Jam described herself behaving and what that twat was doing.

If you can't wear a mask for medical reasons then you can still be sensible and considerate.  In this context it means sitting back in your seat, distancing as much as possible, not leaning forward whilst jabbering on and flinging lumps of pineapple in your face to be sprayed around the place.  Being medically exempt implies a degree of vulnerability, and he's the king of the fackin carriage mate, take on any cunt.

You can't tell who has a genuine reason for not wearing a mask, but it's sometimes easy to spot someone who almost certainly doesn't and is just a prick.  Related:  heterosexual couples in supermarkets.  Always the bloke, innit?

Rev+

Quote from: Wanking Monk of Kefalonia on March 22, 2021, 08:20:42 PM
You could've just confronted him rather than creepily posting his picture online.

Reading a whole two pages too much for you champ?

flotemysost

Quote from: Rev+ on March 22, 2021, 08:22:18 PM
I know the pics and link are gone - for the best, almost certainly - but there's a world of difference between the way Blue Jam described herself behaving and what that twat was doing.

If you can't wear a mask for medical reasons then you can still be sensible and considerate.  In this context it means sitting back in your seat, distancing as much as possible, not leaning forward whilst jabbering on and flinging lumps of pineapple in your face to be sprayed around the place.  Being medically exempt implies a degree of vulnerability, and he's the king of the fackin carriage mate, take on any cunt.

You can't tell who has a genuine reason for not wearing a mask, but it's sometimes easy to spot someone who almost certainly doesn't and is just a prick.  Related:  heterosexual couples in supermarkets.  Always the bloke, innit?

Yep. I understand that many are exempt, for reasons which might not be obvious or visible (e.g. people who've suffered the trauma of an assault where their face was covered, and find wearing a mask extremely triggering) and not all of these people will be wearing a badge or lanyard (I have no idea how easy it is to get hold of one if you are exempt, or what sort of evidence you have to provide), and there are of course occasions when someone might need to temporarily move their mask out the way (such as using an inhaler). None of those people deserve to be made to feel victimised during an already incredibly stressful time, and I try not to automatically assume anyone not wearing a mask is just being selfish as that's clearly reductive and dangerous.

However as you say, while you can't fully know anyone's exact circumstances at a glance, people like the guy I snapped at - who boarded public transport wearing a mask (so presumably isn't exempt) but then pulled it down as soon as he got on, sat unnecessarily close to me without asking (I would have gladly given up my seat to make space) and then rudely dismissed my discomfort at his lack of both mask and distancing - that's undeniably shitty behaviour, and the guy in the video comes across as similarly thoughtless. Even if statistically the chances of him actually passing on an infection are small, it's the selfishness and callousness of the attitude that really makes me despair.

I appreciate I'm incredibly lucky not to have any conditions which make it difficult for me to wear a mask, and doubly lucky in that I don't have to wear one at work. I just hate that so many people seem to have an attitude of "I'll just wear it when I board the train/enter the shop etc. then pull it down/hang it off my ear", as if it's an ID card that you flash at the bouncer to get into a nightclub then shove back in your pocket, and not an actual functional thing that's meant to serve a pretty fucking important purpose.

Having said all that I'm also aware of how much cortisol these thought processes are likely churning up in my system and how it's probably far more productively channeled against the government and institutions which have so gravely mishandled things.

Captain Z

I understand why they don't have to wear masks, it must be impossible to teach a foreign language if your voice is muffled.

People keep ignoring the following a) there's little evidence to support the idea that mask wearing in the community prevents viral spread and b) you don't spread the virus if you don't have symptoms. If you'd gone around wearing a mask prior to 2020 because you were fearful about healthy people carrying viral infections you'd have probably been advised to seek therapy, yet that trio of shithouses Johnson, Whitty and Hancock - through propaganda and misrepresentation of data - have terrified the population into behaving in this irrational, hypochondriac fashion.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Wanking Monk of Kefalonia on March 25, 2021, 02:54:50 PM
People keep ignoring the following a) there's little evidence to support the idea that mask wearing in the community prevents viral spread and b) you don't spread the virus if you don't have symptoms. If you'd gone around wearing a mask prior to 2020 because you were fearful about healthy people carrying viral infections you'd have probably been advised to seek therapy, yet that trio of shithouses Johnson, Whitty and Hancock - through propaganda and misrepresentation of data - have terrified the population into behaving in this irrational, hypochondriac fashion.

Who is this twat?

Rev+

Some dopey cunt who has bought into the 'particle size' libertarian horseshit, which only works if you're talking about an airborne virus, which this isn't.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Wanking Monk of Kefalonia on March 25, 2021, 02:54:50 PM
you don't spread the virus if you don't have symptoms
And if you say your prayers a guardian angel will keep you safe from the evil COVID gremlins. Meanwhile in the real world, asymptotic people are still breathing out lots of COVID viruses.

https://www.uchealth.org/today/the-truth-about-asymptomatic-spread-of-covid-19/
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-03141-3

phantom_power

Have I walked into the "worst responses" thread by mistake?