Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:28:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Flag-shaggery in England

Started by Fambo Number Mive, March 20, 2021, 09:23:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zetetic

Quote from: olliebean on March 24, 2021, 07:05:07 PMI can't imagine it going down too well in those respective countries.
Thankfully there are a couple of people in this thread prepared to explain that it's absolutely fine.

BlodwynPig

The worst flag cunt I've ever seen on Novara (can't link as its still live). Some MP haranguing the BBC for not having a single flag in a 280 report.

canadagoose

The UK Gov buildings up here tend to fly the Union Jack anyway to "strengthen the union" or something. I doubt the ScotGov buildings will be affected.

After all those Zoom quizzes I hope I never see another flag again.

chveik

love flags but i couldn't shag a whole one!

Glebe

Quote from: chveik on March 24, 2021, 11:24:14 PM
love flags but i couldn't shag a whole one!

That comment has been 'flagged'!

lipsink

Quote from: BlodwynPig on March 24, 2021, 08:04:23 PM
The worst flag cunt I've ever seen on Novara (can't link as its still live). Some MP haranguing the BBC for not having a single flag in a 280 report.

I just watched that. I can't tell if the guy's smirking because he thinks he's done an incredible "gotcha" or he just realises how fucking stupid the things coming out of his mouth are.

bgmnts

Stupid but in a stupid society he's fine.

I bet if an MP says there aren't enough Jaffa Cakes in government when the tea lady comes in, there will be a media wave of Jaffa Cake related news and Jaffa Cakes will be made mandatory serving in every canteen in Britain.

Sociopaths out of harms way at the top just fucking around doing what they want because lol there's no consequences or point to any of it. We're done.

Blinder Data

Quote from: Zetetic on March 24, 2021, 07:09:43 PM
Thankfully there are a couple of people in this thread prepared to explain that it's absolutely fine.

I don't think it's "absolutely fine". In theory, a country's flag on government buildings shouldn't be an issue. Unfortunately due to the UK's horrendous constitutional arrangements and never-ending culture war, it is.

Once upon a time I might have got upset about the union flag flying over buildings, but it's an enormous squirrel in the shape of a flag. Arsed, cigs, etc.

Of more substance is the plan to introduce a new cabinet post and fund for the union: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-56518410

Locking the stable door after the horse has bolted, obvs.

Paul Calf

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on March 22, 2021, 06:48:47 PM

The jingoism has been drip-fed by the British press for decades but it seems like the end of the Blair years when the lid pressed down on the far-right abyss started wobbling...

That was when people started to realise that after a couple of decades of muncipal and national corruption and apathy, those in power weren't listening to them and didn't give a fuck about them. Obviously they were encouraged to seek targets other than those actually responsible.

Es Ist Zeit zu säubern, basically.

Zetetic

Quote from: Blinder Data on March 25, 2021, 09:38:24 AM

Of more substance is the plan to introduce a new cabinet post and fund for the union: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-56518410
Fair point. Also the trade centres nonsense.

Quote from: Blinder Data on March 25, 2021, 09:38:24 AM

A job for unelected soon-to-be House of Lords member Ruth Davidson, more than likely.

A strategy to strengthen the Union based on higher visibility of Tories outside England plus the plastering of the Union flag everywhere doesn't sound like a winner to me.

Mr Farenheit

Quote from: BlodwynPig on March 24, 2021, 08:04:23 PM

James Wild MP
His website doesn't have one single Union flag on it https://www.jameswild.org.uk/

Its not clear if that's a Union Jack baseball cap he's wearing on his twitter page but its a paltry amount of pixels for the Union Flag even if it is. And there is no patriotic message whatsoever in his bio!

Whose side is this guy on? James Wild? James Wild-about-putting-Britian-down more like!

BlodwynPig

Can you tweet him about this and say "concerned constituent"

lipsink

I might edit the video of him asking the BBC about flags but every time he says "union jacks" replace it with "big fat cocks".

Fambo Number Mive

"Matt, can you pose with a Saltire to make people in Scotland like us?"
"Sure thing"

https://twitter.com/MattHancock/status/1375538103667023872

How long before the weekly Clap for the Union Jack?

Zetetic

bgmnts

Zetetic

Sebastian Cobb

That's not an official planning notice, so what's the point. Just whack the fucker up if you have to, or don't bother because it's shit for cunts.

Captain Z

Mis-read that as "the flag of the Unicorn".