Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:55:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Flag-shaggery in England

Started by Fambo Number Mive, March 20, 2021, 09:23:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

purlieu

I've gradually seen more and more over the past ten years. "Lest we forget" things are now up all over the place all year round rather than just the week surrounding National Let's Go to War Day, and most streets where I live seem to have at least one George Constanza Cross or Union (But No Unions!) Jack. I'm drunk, stay with me through these poor jokes.
It's odd, though, isn't it? Even though, culturally, I tend to associate with a certain amount of Britishness, I can't fathom actually thinking this is anything other than a mixture of personal preference and comforting familiarity. How anyone can live in Torytown Middle England and decide that they need to express their Britishness or Englishness so much that they actually have to put a flag outside their house so everybody knows that THE PEOPLE WHO LIVE HERE ARE PART OF THIS NATION is absolutely beyond me.
Humanity, I abhor you, please throw yourself on the fire of existence.

New page, throw me on the fire.

Chairman Yang

If you do shag the Union Flag ensure to spunk only on the white bits so you can still run it up the flagpole should diplomatic etiquette demand.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on March 20, 2021, 11:47:58 PM
Why isn't Wales represented on the butcher's apron? Surely the southwest quadrant could be plain white with a badass dragon on it.

serious answer: because Wales was already subsumed into England before the UK was formed.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Barry Admin on March 20, 2021, 11:09:45 PM
Yep, well I dunno what England is like really, but I'd imagine so. Loyalist areas like the estate where I live have flags everywhere, which increase in number round July 11th and 12th. You see guys going round and hanging that kind of stuff everywhere. One of my neighbours has 4 or 5 mounted outside his flat.

same in some areas of the west of Scotland, in Larkhall the Subway (sandwich version)  sign has a black background rather than green. Railings are regularly painted red red white and blue.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: idunnosomename on March 21, 2021, 12:44:23 AM
funny how the England flag used to be the toxic one, most cause of football hooliganism. but the butcher's apron is the really evil one, because it symbolises English dominion over Wales, Scotland, Ireland, France, and all the pink bits

this is why I put "English" on the census anyway

Actually the other way round, the Union jack was used by England's hooligans right up to the 90s. The England flag didn't start to dominate until I guess Euro 96?

Pink Gregory

What I don't understand is the George Cross with ENGLAND printed through the middle.  It's cheating if you put the name of the country on there, where's your British sense of fair play, lads?

canadagoose

Quote from: Pink Gregory on March 21, 2021, 07:02:47 AM
What I don't understand is the George Cross with ENGLAND printed through the middle.  It's cheating if you put the name of the country on there, where's your British sense of fair play, lads?
To be fair, the English flag is the only one you can write the country name on without it being squint or split into bits. You could maybe stick it on the bottom of the Welsh flag though.

Saw this picture of Bo'ness recently (not in England admittedly). More like Boke'ness.

It's a shame the English flag has been tainted in some people's minds. It looks quite nice flying from Bamburgh Castle though. The Northumberland flag is even better

Zetetic

Quote from: idunnosomename on March 21, 2021, 12:44:23 AM
this is why I put "English" on the census anyway
Your reasoning is interesting, but I think you can't escape the socially constructed meanings of these identities - Englishness is Britishness plus a determination that politics should be ordered a certain way. There's nothing else to point to in the sense of Englishness beyond a dedication to filling the world with unending horror.

And the ONS knows this, and will judge you accordingly.

Kankurette

I hate the whole charade around poppies. I wear one but I'm sick of people being pressured into it and if you don't wear one you might as well say 'I love Hitler'. Footballers never wore them in the '90s and Remembrance Day was more solemn and subdued - there were more actual WW1/WW2 vets around then - and now you've got teams with poppies on their kits and James McClean, who has a very good reason to not wear one, getting death threats. And there's a general sense of 'you don't have to wear one BUT YOU SHOULD'. It creeps me out.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

First level of Repton labelled 'too easy'.

Buelligan

Quote from: Kankurette on March 21, 2021, 10:03:19 AM
I hate the whole charade around poppies. I wear one but I'm sick of people being pressured into it and if you don't wear one you might as well say 'I love Hitler'. Footballers never wore them in the '90s and Remembrance Day was more solemn and subdued - there were more actual WW1/WW2 vets around then - and now you've got teams with poppies on their kits and James McClean, who has a very good reason to not wear one, getting death threats. And there's a general sense of 'you don't have to wear one BUT YOU SHOULD'. It creeps me out.

It's odd with the whole poppy thing.  Here, in beautiful France, we had the actual hand to hand fighting.  The trenches in the first.  In the second, we had the fucking nazis shooting people in my actual village.  I've been to Oradour-sur-Glane.  I used to clean a chateau commandeered by the nazis here, where there were still swastika paper seals across the doors to rooms where they'd stored stuff, I'd imagine, all alone polishing those echoy stone floors, the poor people coming in terrified of what was going to happen next, for good reason.  Walking across those floors.  I've known people who hid throughout because of who they were.  I found a nazi coin in my garden.  And yet we don't have all this performative bullshit.

A quiet and respectful ceremony each 11/11, a sad bugle and some silent thought.  It's better, I think.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

The terrifying size and intent of France's chauvinistic far right ably overshadows any small dignity conferred by that, I'have thought.

Buelligan

You should visit.  In my nearest small town, we have a building, the local HQ of the Front National, every time they repaint the building, someone comes and writes the most terrible offensive instructions to them on it again.  In huge letters. They haven't bothered trying to paint over it now for the last couple of years. 

I can't speak for all French, we had Vichy, so it's obvious that there have always been fascists (don't forget, your own politicians and Royal family, some prominent ones were and are, effectively, nazis).  But my feeling is that our right wing foot soldiers, many of them, like many of them in the UK, are angry working class people who want something done and are being corralled by fascists, pretty similar in both countries.  Pretty similar before both wars, I think.

But what we're talking about here is the poppy behaviour, France is better than the UK.  I can say that with some authority having lived both.

If you want a cock-measuring contest between the UK and France, you're going to lose but you should start another thread.  Heheh.

Attila

The flag for my home state of Delaware is awesome -- something for everyone on it. A farmer, a dude with a gun, the date we gave the British the heave-ho. All done up in tasteful colonial blue and buff.

Dex Sawash

My state's flag has a real there, that'll do vibe. Probably why NC only existed for a bit over 11 months.

jobotic

Ferris

I once saw a West Midlands flag being flown out of the window of an apartment in downtown Toronto and I thought "who the actual fuck is that for?"

You could see it from the patio of a bar I used to go to, it was there once then gone the next time I was there a few weeks later. Surely not a single fucker in the city had heard of the West Midlands, let alone knew some wanker had created a quasi-official flag for it. Turns out the chains it depicts were used to lock up slaves and it has been (reasonably) decided to be probably a poor branding moved and quietly shelved.

Only a craven dipshit would allow themselves to be photographed with it.

Mr Watson and Lord Austin were unavailable for comment.

monkfromhavana

Ferris

SpiderChrist

Quite a few in the Fens, presumably used to remind the inbred wankers what country they live in.

kryton2.0

Apologies if I came across a bit weird/ a bit of a dick on the first page. I'd drank too much wine and was a bit manic, sorry.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Kankurette on March 21, 2021, 12:12:55 AM
Wales has the best flag. Everyone go home.

No, not even close to going home.

bgmnts

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on March 21, 2021, 12:31:25 PM
No, not even close to going home.

Not even joking when I was in Nepal they gave a little talk in the office for a little background on the culture and history of Nepal, and one of notable points was that Nepal is the only country with a triangle shaped flag.

I found being proud of that quite cute.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: jamiefairlie on March 21, 2021, 03:51:24 AM
serious answer: because Wales was already subsumed into England before the UK was formed.

I'm fairly sure that when I was in primary school this was explained away as Wales were 'too late' to get theirs on the Union flag. As if there was a flag committee and the lackadaisical sods just missed the deadline.

An tSaoi

When did Wales get onto an equal footing as Scotland and Northern Ireland in the popular consciousness? If it was basically part of England back then, what made people start to refer to it as a seperate thing?

Sebastian Cobb

Devolution? I wouldn't say it is quite on an even footing with NI/Scotland, with both having a bit more devolved powers.

Butchers Blind

Quote from: monkfromhavana on March 21, 2021, 12:16:36 PM
Belter of a flag.

Looks like he's practicing his kung fu on a wooden dummy.

An tSaoi

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on March 21, 2021, 12:46:40 PM
Devolution?

Yeah I suppose.

I wasn't really taking about powers, but just when did the average shitmuncher get on board with Wales being a thing. Like, now it's one of the 4 "countries" in the UK, and no-one argues about it. But what was the reaction at the time? "Not arsed", or "Shut up Taffy, you're just part of England, not a proper thing like Scotland"?