Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:42:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stupid conspiraloon twats in Manchester

Started by Kankurette, March 22, 2021, 02:14:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kankurette

Probably belongs in the 'worst reactions' thread but oh well.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/anti-vax-conmspiracy-theory-middleton-19580362

Concerns have been raised over a rise in anti-vax propaganda Covid conspiracy theories in Middleton.

Posters purporting to be from lockdown sceptic group The White Rose appeared in parts of the town over the weekend.

One described the pandemic as 'the biggest scam in the history of the world', while another claimed the virus was not deadly.

Some homes reportedly also received leaflets bearing similar messages.

Councillor Sara Rowbotham told a meeting of Rochdale's Covid-19 engagement board she feared the misleading campaign could move on to other parts of the borough.

The councillor, who lives in Middleton, said: "There have been posters and a leaflet drop, certainly around my estate, which is casting aspersions on the vaccine, talking about Covid not being real – some of those headline conspiracy theory messages.

"That seems to be developing – certainly over the weekend there was an awful lot of it. I just wanted to make more people know about it.

"I don't think that is an isolated incident. I think there's potential for that to be spread around the borough."

The White Rose Group proclaims it is 'taking the immense power of meme warfare to the streets, via the medium of stickers'.

However, the council's environmental management team will remove any posters, stickers or graffiti – in line with local authority policy.

Coun Rowbotham added: "It's definitely something we need to keep an eye on.

"There are parts of the community becoming quite active and vocal around the virus and vaccine."

I don't live in Middleton but I was going on a big long walk earlier and I saw a sticker from these White Rose fuckwits saying that wearing a mask was a sign of submission and cowardice. Because putting up stickers is so very brave. I don't know what annoys me more, the fact they're using the same name as Sophie Scholl and friends' group or their bullshit propaganda about COVID being a scam.

Hope the cunts all die of it tbh. I have no patience with conspiracy theorists. I mean, people have actually died of it, I think it is quite deadly actually. One of my friends lost a much-loved colleague to it and he had to delete an old uni mate of his because she's a big name in the COVID denier community and she kept insisting COVID isn't real.

Chedney Honks

Fr.Bigley

Morons don't even know that it's the red rose in Lancashire..wouldn't worry.

Fambo Number Mive

Quotetaking the immense power of meme warfare to the streets, via the medium of stickers

Makes it sound like it's all a game to them.

As others have mentioned, the use of The White Rose for their group is obscene. The members of the original White Rose group risked their lives against a fascist regime that was killing millions, with many of them being murdered by the Nazi regime.

This group are risking a fine at the most fighting against COVID restrictions intended to save the lives of millions. Putting up their smug stickers and dangerous lies and likening themselves to actual heroes.

Kankurette

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on March 22, 2021, 03:07:32 PM
Makes it sound like it's all a game to them.

As others have mentioned, the use of The White Rose for their group is obscene. The members of the original White Rose group risked their lives against a fascist regime that was killing millions, with many of them being murdered by the Nazi regime.

This group are risking a fine at the most fighting against COVID restrictions intended to save the lives of millions. Putting up their smug stickers and dangerous lies and likening themselves to actual heroes.
This. They're not only stupid and ignorant, they're dangerous. I genuinely don't understand what their game is. They're not magically going to make COVID go away. And it's especially disingenuous considering that a lot of actual Nazis are against lockdown - I don't know if this group are far right but there is a huge overlap between anti-lockdown groups and the far right. UsForThem have some shady backers, for instance.

jobotic

They also stuck a load of their crap over Rochester High Street (or rather one or two people who have bought their stickers did) - I picked off what I could but after reporting it the council they either removed them or scrubbed them out.

I don't think it's coincidence that there's been a handful of Pie and Mash Squad, Hundred Handers and Proud Boys Britannia stickers pop up too (again mostly removed or covered by anti-fascist stickers now).

Yes the use of the White Rose name is vile and they are almost undoubtedly far-right.

Quote from: Kankurette on March 22, 2021, 02:14:40 PM
Hope the cunts all die of it tbh.

You sound like a really nice person.

COVID neurotics really are some of the most empathy deficient shitheads in existence.

'Actual psychopaths like Boris Johnson, Matt Hancock and Chris Whitty should take people's freedoms away forever because I'm scared of a virus which doesn't pose a significant risk to most healthy people.' Fuck right off.

Chedney Honks

Here, here.

Makes me wish I was breathing fresh air in some favela instead of trudging through the Gold Coast or Xi Bei Hu with the rest of the fucking sheep.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Wanking Monk of Kefalonia on March 22, 2021, 05:02:51 PM

COVID neurotics really are some of the most empathy deficient shitheads in existence.

You dead yet?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Wanking Monk of Kefalonia on March 22, 2021, 05:15:19 PM
'Actual psychopaths like Boris Johnson, Matt Hancock and Chris Whitty should take people's freedoms away forever because I'm scared of a virus which doesn't pose a significant risk to most healthy people.' Fuck right off.

You're a nothing man. Enjoy. ps. I'm co-authoring a paper with Chris Whitty soon...maybe I can cite you?

Kankurette

Ah, we've got one.
Quote from: Wanking Monk of Kefalonia on March 22, 2021, 05:02:51 PM

It's hard to be nice to conspiracy theorists and COVID deniers. I don't care if you don't want to wear a mask. Knock yourself out. It's trying to guilt people into not wearing one, or claiming COVID isn't real, that pisses me off.

I'd like lockdown to end and I hate how the government have handled it. Doesn't make conspiracy theory bullshit OK. For the record, I don't care if I get COVID. It's the least of my worries right now. Please explain to me why I'm a coward for wearing cloth over my face though. As for being empathy deficient, I'd say people claiming a virus which has killed thousands isn't real are pretty empathy deficient.

As for taking away freedoms, I'm far more concerned about the anti protest bill. I'd say that's worse.

bgmnts

I care to be honest. I hope anyone so self serving and cunty gets a horrible disease that fucks up their life.

Kankurette

You empathy deficient shithead, you. Only old and disabled people are at risk of COVID, who gives a shit about them, amirite?

I'm legit surprised there aren't any stickers blaming Jews Soros yet.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Kankurette on March 22, 2021, 06:50:18 PM
You empathy deficient shithead, you. Only old and disabled people are at risk of COVID, who gives a shit about them, amirite?

I'm legit surprised there aren't any stickers blaming Jews Soros yet.

??? what's that got to do with anything?

bgmnts

Is that directed at me? If so, I'm confuzzled.

BlodwynPig

Masks have been demonstrated to be useless and were mandated by a psychopathic government to spread fear. Anyone wearing one might as well be teabagging Chris Whitty.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Wanking Monk of Kefalonia on March 22, 2021, 07:09:52 PM
Masks have been demonstrated to be useless and were mandated by a psychopathic government to spread fear. Anyone wearing one might as well be teabagging Chris Whitty.

Provide some peer-reviewed literature on this please

Old Thrashbarg

I don't even know why the effectiveness of masks needs to be demonstrated. It couldn't be much simpler.

The virus is matter. A mask prevents matter that would otherwise enter your nose/mouth from entering your nose/mouth. And it prevents matter that would leave your nose/mouth and spread over a relatively wide area from spreading over such a wide area.

And that's the case for wearing a mask .

madhair60

you are the dippest of shits

Old Thrashbarg

It's like saying a car windshield is useless. Fine, it might not be every journey when it stops something deadly hitting you in the face. But drive often enough without one and you'll soon regret it.

Chedney Honks

Wow. So angry right now. Really am raging. Apoplectic. Just can't believe it. Need to go for a walk to cool off. Gonna write a really long reply though later defo. If I haven't broke my phone.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Chedney Honks on March 22, 2021, 07:20:57 PM
Wow. So angry right now. Really am raging. Apoplectic. Just can't believe it. Need to go for a walk to cool off. Gonna write a really long reply though later defo. If I haven't broke my phone.

All I said was "I think you don't look good in a mustard turtle neck"

Drygate

What do you think of the studies mentioned here that say masks are not only ineffective but also bad for the wearer?

https://themodelhealthshow.com/open-letter-politifact-fact-checking-organizations/

My mind is literally scrambled right now with all the conflicting information. Is it lies? Is it misunderstanding? I can't wait for all this all to be over as I genuinely don't know what to believe. How can masks either be good or bad? I can get my head around them either being very necessary or a bit necessary. But having a positive effect vs having an actual negative affect on the wearer twists my melon.

ersatz99

There was a blog that featured here a couple of years ago that gave a good account of the discrepancies in the Skripal thing so I thought I'd pop along to see what they thought of Covid. Well it turns out the author and those in the comments are full on religious conspiracy nuts who are anti-mask/vaccine/lockdown. Apparantly the rolling lockdowns are so the financial elites can bring about the Big Reset and totallitarian control through limiting peoples' rights will extend to the abolition of organised religion - their major concern.

Kankurette

Yes, that'll explain why loads of other countries outside the UK have people masking up then.

The government can spread fear without masks. They did a perfectly good job of it before COVID and they're doing it now with the anti-protest bill. Also, not that it's any of your business, but one reason why I'm wearing one when I go out is because I recently had a fucking great tumour carved out of my nose and it's still a bit painful when I go out and the wind blows in my face.
Quote from: ersatz99 on March 22, 2021, 07:31:03 PM
There was a blog that featured here a couple of years ago that gave a good account of the discrepancies in the Skripal thing so I thought I'd pop along to see what they thought of Covid. Well it turns out the author and those in the comments are full on religious conspiracy nuts who are anti-mask/vaccine/lockdown. Apparantly the rolling lockdowns are so the financial elites can bring about the Big Reset and totallitarian control through limiting peoples' rights will extend to the abolition of organised religion - their major concern.
That makes no sense. Lockdowns are BAD for business.

Cold Meat Platter

Jonathan Frakes wants a word

Drygate

Depends what business? I hear Amazon and the property market are doing OK.

Quote from: ersatz99 on March 22, 2021, 07:31:03 PMdiscrepancies in the Skripal thing

What discrepancies was that? Or don't I want to know.

Zetetic

Quote from: Drygate on March 22, 2021, 07:30:49 PM
But having a positive effect vs having an actual negative affect on the wearer twists my melon.
Why?

Recognising that these things are worth only a very limited effort in tackling, some immediate striking problems are:
1. Generalising lack of positive impact from all viral-type respiratory illnesses (or, slightly better, influenza) with different transmission characteristics
2. Attempts to look at mask-wearing in isolation from other interventions.
3. Looking at underpowered studies[nb]Noting that well-powered COVID-19-specific studies were hard to construct in the context of an unfolding pandemic, of course.[/nb] and concluding that an absence of evidence is evidence of no effect
4. Attempts to generalise negative impact from extended periods of mask wearing (rather than brief forays into shopping centres)

Regarding 1 and 2, we might well expect masks to increase transmission of something like rhinoviruses (meaning more common colds), particularly in the absence of improved hand-washing. But that doesn't tell you much about the cost-benefit of masks in a COVID-19 epidemic.

As it stands, we've seen astonishingly little impact on the spread of rhinoviruses from all of the things that we've done - we know this, because we randomly sample a bunch of people for all sorts of viruses - but a huge impact from the combination of these things on all sorts of other respiratory viruses (influenza, RSV).