Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:06:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The longest and most lucrative coast on past glories

Started by Nice Relaxing Poo, March 22, 2021, 04:56:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzby

Quote from: Seedsy on March 22, 2021, 10:35:38 PM

I'm sure I read, and it was probably a justification to why he is still in the band because, he does fuck all musically. But if it wasn't for fletch, Depeche mode would have been a spent force probably even before violator and gahans drug taking.

He sort of holds them together, an unofficial manager of sorts
He is their de facto manager, but that's basically giving him something to do as his main role is being Martin Gore's mate, acting as his spokesman, especially when Gore has to deal with any type of conflict. That was one of the main reasons Alan Wilder left - he got increasingly pissed off at having to do most of the work in the studio and on tour. while everyone else was partying and off their faces (Fletcher isn't averse to substances either, having to leave the Devotional tour due to 'stress'). It finally came to a head between them and Fletcher delivered the ultimatum that they wouldn't do another album with Wilder.

TheMonk

Stevie Wonder regularly gets trotted out and lauded but he hasn't released a decent tune in 40 years. FORTY YEARS. Still good live but.

lazyhour

Quote from: TheMonk on March 23, 2021, 10:24:22 AM
Stevie Wonder regularly gets trotted out and lauded but he hasn't released a decent tune in 40 years. FORTY YEARS. Still good live but.

True, but his 15+ year body of phenomenonal work speaks for itself, I'd have thought.

lazyhour

Quote from: studpuppet on March 22, 2021, 10:29:38 PM
Did nothing but cover versions, but always, always, always made sure he had at least a co-writer's credit on the B-side. FOURTEEN top ten hits in the eighties, including a Christmas single that went platinum.

I'm probably being thick, but who are you talking about here?

boki

Quote from: TheMonk on March 23, 2021, 10:24:22 AM
If you can't handle him when he just calls to say he loves you, you don't deserve him when he masterblasts you.

Showaddywaddy are still going, and fair fucks to 'em. You gerrit, lads.

studpuppet

Quote from: lazyhour on March 23, 2021, 11:45:29 AM
I'm probably being thick, but who are you talking about here?

You might be thick, but not for asking that - there was an image of Shakin' Stevens there yesterday, but it's gone and fucked off (no idea why?!).

EDIT: this one in fact. No idea why it decided to be all coy.

Fr.Bigley

What about Bill Withered? loads in the 70's/ early 80's but nada till his death. I suppose he wasn't the kind of fella to bandy around chatting about past glories. I liked Bill. Be like Bill. A nice man.

gilbertharding

Jonah Lewie reckons the £120k he gets every year from Stop the Cavalry is 50% of his income, suggesting that In the Kitchen at Parties is a much bigger hit than anyone knew.

rue the polywhirl

Gotta be Rolling Stones. Trotting out their greatest hits from the 60s and 70s for the billionth time on wildly successful world tours instead of digging into the zeitgeist and exploring new hyper pop or trap sounds.

buzby

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on March 23, 2021, 01:42:09 PM
What about Bill Withered? loads in the 70's/ early 80's but nada till his death. I suppose he wasn't the kind of fella to bandy around chatting about past glories. I liked Bill. Be like Bill. A nice man.
He had his biggest chart hit in 1988 when the totally unecessary Ben Liebrand 'Sunshine Remix' of Lovely Day got to #4

daf

Quote from: buzby on March 23, 2021, 03:56:51 PM
He had his biggest chart hit in 1988 when the totally unecessary Ben Liebrand 'Sunshine Remix' of Lovely Da-

a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-

Quote from: buzby on March 23, 2021, 03:56:51 PM
-y got to #4

buzby

Quote from: daf on March 23, 2021, 04:07:24 PM
a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-
<applauds>

Dead Soon

Ray Dorset spending about half an hour in 1970 to describe a sketchy sounding summer's afternoon has earned him his keep ever since.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Dead Soon on March 23, 2021, 11:05:33 PM
Ray Dorset spending about half an hour in 1970 to describe a sketchy sounding summer's afternoon has earned him his keep ever since.
Ah, but another one of his songs got to #1 ten years after that one, and probably made him a nice wedge too.

non capisco

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on March 23, 2021, 11:25:23 PM
Ah, but another one of his songs got to #1 ten years after that one, and probably made him a nice wedge too.

He gets paid a tenner every time it goes "boww boww".

PaulTMA

The Flaming Lips have started doing entire sets of Race For The Prize now and even encoring with it

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on March 22, 2021, 06:40:00 PM
Mike Love.
This is a good one. Even if you extremely generously give him "Kokomo" (which I'm pretty sure he had an at best minimal hand in composing), that's still 33 years of the nostalgia circuit. If you don't, then you're reaching back to...1970 and "Feel Flows" (which he didn't write either, and probably isn't played at many Beach Boys shows these days). Basically, 60 years of coasting on someone else's extraordinary talent. Most of which he now owns. Nice work.

PaulTMA

What has Mike Love got to do with Feel Flows in particular?  He might be a bellend but he deserves credit and remuneration for songs he actually wrote (and was denied at the time), plus he contributed to many good ones after 1971

rue the polywhirl

Sumahama from 1979 is a banger. He definitely intervened lyrically on I Know There's An Answer and Good Vibrations for the better and his lyrics overall are an integral part of the Beach Boys sound. Also spokesperson for Transcendental Meditation. And there's that classic Baywatch episode.

Echo Valley 2-6809

Quote from: gilbertharding on March 23, 2021, 01:56:49 PM
Jonah Lewie reckons the £120k he gets every year from Stop the Cavalry is 50% of his income, suggesting that In the Kitchen at Parties is a much bigger hit than anyone knew.

Plus Seaside Shuffle, which got to Number 2 and seems to be on local radio playlists still.

But maybe Ray Dorset gets some money from that too, tee hee.

TheMonk

Quote from: lazyhour on March 23, 2021, 11:44:15 AM
True, but his 15+ year body of phenomenonal work speaks for itself, I'd have thought.
OK but I'd have thought that would have fallen into the past glories category. Hence me bringing it up.

Head Gardener

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on March 22, 2021, 08:23:31 PM
Bez. No glories to speak of but coasted off the back of everyone else's glory. If not for the Happy Mondays he'd be nicking your Levi's off the line and trying to flog them back to you whilst maintaining he's of the skag.

he pops up in the new Creation Stories movie too

Phil_A

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on March 23, 2021, 01:42:09 PM

To be fair to Withers he left the music biz entirely in the mid-eighties, so it's not like he was doing endless greatest hits tours. He got out while the going was good.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Yeah, Bill Withers bowed out with quiet dignity. He'd written all the songs he wanted to write and had made enough money to support himself and his family. A really classy move. He definitely doesn't deserve to be cited in this thread.

Gulftastic

Yet man who wrote Kung Fu Fighting has been comfortably living off it ever since.

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: Gulftastic on March 24, 2021, 11:40:30 AM
Yet man who wrote Kung Fu Fighting has been comfortably living off it ever since.

There's fuck all chance that EVERYBODY was kung Fu fighting..misleading.

El Unicornio, mang

Don McLean. An interviewer asked him what the song "American Pie" meant to him and he said "it means I don't have to work for the rest of my life".