Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:14:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The longest and most lucrative coast on past glories

Started by Nice Relaxing Poo, March 22, 2021, 04:56:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oz Oz Alice

Quote from: badaids on March 24, 2021, 03:21:40 PM
The Cure must qualify for this thread.

Their last decent album was Wish nearly 30 years ago.  Since then they've released a handful of terrible records, greatest hits tours and appearances, and have started to look like a tribute act of themselves. I love Smith and their run of records from 79-92 is up there with any band but what happened that made him go from shitting out incredible songs several times a year to an irrelevance? They've been complete shit for twice as long as they were good now...

I'd say the spark was briefly there during the Bloodflowers era and there's some good tracks on Wild Mood Swings but otherwise sadly would have to agree. Yet naively and masochistically I hold out some hope that if he does do anything else it could potentially be brilliant.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on March 26, 2021, 07:12:02 PMOnly 240million views for that song, dying on his arse.
That's the thing, though - these days there can be somebody with huge popularity but you can be totally unaware of them. It's so easy to cut yourself off from pop culture these days, when in 1963, even my granddad knew who the Beatles were. It makes me wonder if someone really famous now will be able to trade on past glories in 20/30 years time, or whether the market for nostalgia will also end up obsolete. Does "my video had 200 million hits in 2015" transfer into bankability in, say, 2040 the way the Rolling Stones today can keep raking in the millions playing their 50 year old hits?

Yussef Dent

Apparently Al Green's "Take Me To The River" earns more in royalties through sales of the "Big Mouth Billy Bass" toy (that fish that people have on their walls in offices for some reason) than anything else he's ever done.

BeardFaceMan

Snopp Dogg has made something like two dozen albums but has basically made a living out of his debut, Doggystyle. It's probably the only decent album he's made and by God has he made the most of it. Fair play to the lad.

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on March 28, 2021, 02:10:02 PM
Snopp Dogg has made something like two dozen albums but has basically made a living out of his debut, Doggystyle. It's probably the only decent album he's made and by God has he made the most of it. Fair play to the lad.

Did somebody say just eat? (Out on my past glory)

famethrowa

Joan Jett. Kudos for her first band, then breakthrough with a good cover of a great dumb song, then every single a cover of something after that with diminishing returns, but yet celebrated as an absolute legend and pioneer, generally untouchable from criticism.

Phil_A

I don't know if there's ever been a bigger coaster in the history of British music than Monty Norman, composer of the James Bond Theme.

Except he fucking didn't, did he. At most it could be said he wrote the guitar riff the theme was based around. Despite what was claimed in court the rest is very clearly all John Barry. And yet Norman to this day has sole composer credit and has made thousands off it.

He is also responsible for this revoltingly smug little ditty that was written after the court case ended. See if you can listen to this for any length of time without wanting to vom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrLXNZVUg64

Kankurette

Quote from: famethrowa on March 28, 2021, 02:38:18 PM
Joan Jett. Kudos for her first band, then breakthrough with a good cover of a great dumb song, then every single a cover of something after that with diminishing returns, but yet celebrated as an absolute legend and pioneer, generally untouchable from criticism.
She's been getting some flak in feminist circles for her response to Jackie Fox going public about her rape.

Bronzy

Quote from: Phil_A on March 30, 2021, 01:28:03 AM
I don't know if there's ever been a bigger coaster in the history of British music than Monty Norman, composer of the James Bond Theme.

Except he fucking didn't, did he. At most it could be said he wrote the guitar riff the theme was based around. Despite what was claimed in court the rest is very clearly all John Barry. And yet Norman to this day has sole composer credit and has made thousands off it.

He is also responsible for this revoltingly smug little ditty that was written after the court case ended. See if you can listen to this for any length of time without wanting to vom.

This comment on one of the other YouTube videos of that disgusting excuse for a song sums it up:

Here's how it all appears to me...

Imagine, Monty Norman was the head chef at a restaurant. Someone ordered a "steak dinner". Norman went to work, and the customer was presented with a plate containing a bland, tasteless steak -- and nothing else.

The customer immediately sent it back for being unsatisfactory.

The manager then called on another chef, John Barry, and asked him "Can you do anything with this?" Barry looked at the steak, rolled his eyes, and went to work.

Barry sprinkled spices and other garnishings onto the steak, and also added a baked potato, string beans, a salad and bread to the plate.

The customer was elated. "Delicious!" he exclaimed. "Who made this?"

"I did!" proclaimed a proud Monty Norman (who was subsequently replaced by John Barry as the head chef).

Norman contends "It was a steak dinner. I provided the steak."

Barry shrugs, "If he made the dinner, why wasn't he kept-on as head chef?"

peanutbutter

Including social capital daft punk made an absolute killing off of Discovery, Homework was solid and HAA filled in the gaps to make their live show work but they got a solid 20 years outta being both respected and considered somewhat relevant on a highly mainstream level off the back of discovery.

To add to Patti Smith a big chunk of why she isn't considered a one album act is because Springsteen gifted her an absolute gem that she doesn't really add much to.

Whoever counts as Kraftwerk now has been dragging it out a while.

Bronzy

Quote from: peanutbutter on March 30, 2021, 02:36:37 AM
Whoever counts as Kraftwerk now has been dragging it out a while.

On a similar note, Tangerine Dream literally only exist in name now since Froese's death.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Bronzy on March 30, 2021, 02:04:36 AM
This comment on one of the other YouTube videos of that disgusting excuse for a song sums it up:
you should link to them cuz the cunt monetised that one. He probably got 0.00001p for me watching a 15 second google ad. Bum.

lazyhour

Huge 'Jonathan King's Vile Pervert The Musical' vibes from that 007 song.

daf

Glorious stuff - I'm pencilling that in for the alternative pop thread when we reach 2005!

Bronzy

Quote from: idunnosomename on March 30, 2021, 11:39:13 AM
you should link to them cuz the cunt monetised that one. He probably got 0.00001p for me watching a 15 second google ad. Bum.

Here it is

https://youtube.com/watch?v=LYLbVS-QyZA

daf

turnstyle

Patty and Mildred Hill. Wrote the Happy Birthday song in 1893, no other notable works followed.

Didn't even do a electronic remix for the b-side.

Weak.

Phil_A

Quote from: turnstyle on March 30, 2021, 04:59:27 PM
Patty and Mildred Hill. Wrote the Happy Birthday song in 1893, no other notable works followed.

Didn't even do a electronic remix for the b-side.

Weak.

And wasn't it recently proven to be a fatuous claim, so they didn't even have that?

It cost Warner Chappell Music a cool 14 million in returned fees as they had held copyright since 1988. They even tried to claim any public performance of it without paying royalties was breaking the law(it's now gone into the public domain).

Goldentony

re the opener mentioning Guns N Roses - not sure any post UYI tour has been that lucrative to them until the semi reunion, in fact given the size of UYI venues id take a guess they probably made a very low percent of any potential cash.

2008 when they actually got Chinese Democracy released after 14 million quid, a statement announcing the 14 million quid was done with, two shows in 2001, a cancelled tour with two riots and a successful by their standards 2006 tour of festivals they actually just went radio silent for a year and kicked off an unrelated tour in Thailand in 2009 and fired one of the most well respected managers in the 'industry' for attempting to suggest a reunion tour.

They've probably sorted it out now with the reunion tour they've been plugging for years now but the setlists has been the same since about 2001, they started adding madder shit in 2009 when it was clearly nobody new was turning up to shows and they couldnt give tickets away.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteThe Cure must qualify for this thread.

Their last decent album was Wish nearly 30 years ago.  Since then they've released a handful of terrible records, greatest hits tours and appearances, and have started to look like a tribute act of themselves. I love Smith and their run of records from 79-92 is up there with any band but what happened that made him go from shitting out incredible songs several times a year to an irrelevance? They've been complete shit for twice as long as they were good now...

How is continuing to release records 'coasting'?

Keebleman

Quote from: Phil_A on March 30, 2021, 01:28:03 AM

I would definitely have him as the composer of the theme, and Barry as the arranger.  Yep, he's a lucky bugger.  So what?  (And I would venture that he has made millions off it, not just thousands.)  But perhaps, given how important the arrangement is to the impact of the piece, it could be credited as Norman/Barry, or even - and why not? - Barry/Norman.

Head Gardener

Mozart, Beethoven all them classical bods, are the relatives getting a penny? doubt it

sutin

DEVO had a lengthy coasting period from the early '90s until 2010 when Something For Everybody came out. They were always fantastic live but let's face it, it was a nostagia show with the old stage costumes, films, choreography etc.

Thomas

Goldentony

Quote from: sutin on March 30, 2021, 11:17:54 PM
DEVO had a lengthy coasting period from the early '90s until 2010 when Something For Everybody came out. They were always fantastic live but let's face it, it was a nostagia show with the old stage costumes, films, choreography etc.

Did Mutato need cash in the 90s? They came back for Lollapalooza didn't they so it was a big greatest hits thing from the beginning, and they did that fucking mad Nike show with new gear nd stuff, new album aside it didn't get much more interesting til they started doing that dual first album tour that they've done every show anyway, and then Freedom Of Choice so you finally got to her Ton O Luv and Snowball and that mad Hardcore show

sutin

Quote from: Goldentony on March 31, 2021, 01:04:45 AM
Did Mutato need cash in the 90s? They came back for Lollapalooza didn't they so it was a big greatest hits thing from the beginning, and they did that fucking mad Nike show with new gear nd stuff, new album aside it didn't get much more interesting til they started doing that dual first album tour that they've done every show anyway, and then Freedom Of Choice so you finally got to her Ton O Luv and Snowball and that mad Hardcore show

I've always assumed it was Jerry who wanted the money. I always got the impression that Mark would have been happy finishing with the band for good after Smooth Noodle Maps.

sutin

Had totally forgot about those batshit crazy Nike shows. When I was more of a DEVO bootleg collector I had videos of a few full sets. Weren't they playing at 10AM?!