Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:59:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Scott Bakula Star Trek Enterprise

Started by Virgo76, March 22, 2021, 06:56:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Virgo76

Has anyone seen many of these?
What did you think?
About twenty years old now.

BlodwynPig

Star Trek is for babies. He should have stuck to Quantum Leap.

JamesTC

I like it when the Klingons get a smooth forehead.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Neo-cons In Space

Texas redneck vs Woman Libtard, moderated by Clever EnglishPoshman and Republican Shatner

Wonderful Butternut

JamesTC

MoreauVasz

Quote from: Virgo76 on March 22, 2021, 06:56:28 PM
Has anyone seen many of these?
What did you think?
About twenty years old now.

It's great.

First season and a bit is a touch fan-servicey in so far as a lot of episodes revolve around giving us early glimpses of races that would feature prominently in the future of the Star Trek universe.

However, it gets better and keeps getting better. The two big arcs in the later series are great.

Alberon

I think in the last series they knew they were getting cancelled and so could just concentrate on stuff for the fans as opposed to the general audience.

The mirror universe two parter where they manage to do a prequel to one TOS episode at the same time as a sequel to another is quite good.

Butchers Blind

Hello, Picture Box here, can I have my thread back?

Alberon

No, you already have too many Star Trek threads.

Fr.Bigley

olliebean

I started watching it during the first lockdown (having previously worked my way through TOS, TNG, DS9 and V), but wasn't really getting on with it, and eventually stalled a few minutes into an episode that looked like it was going to be entirely in unsubtitled Ferengi.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

I gave it a whole season to wow me and it was garbage. I remember there was an episode where Trip and Archer were marooned on a planet that was a thinly-disguised metaphor for Afghanistan, and I suddenly realised that I didn't care if they were rescued. That's when I knew it was really bad.

daf

Wonderful Butternut

D'you remember how Shran calls Archer 'pink-skin' a lot? Wonder what he called Mayweather? Can just imagine him lying face down on a biobed whilst Phlox tries to extract a severed antenna from his arsehole, painfully enquiring with Archer about what the helmsman meant by "our word".

JamesTC

Feel like shit, just want to get in the decon chamber with Hoshi and T'Pol.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: Wonderful Butternut on March 22, 2021, 10:26:23 PM
D'you remember how Shran calls Archer 'pink-skin' a lot? Wonder what he called Mayweather? Can just imagine him lying face down on a biobed whilst Phlox tries to extract a severed antenna from his arsehole, painfully enquiring with Archer about what the helmsman meant by "our word".
Don't be silly WB, you know Mayweather isn't allowed to speak or have plotlines or be interesting in any way.

Alberon

That's true. Everytime there's a temporal time-up with other Treks he gets picked on by Harry Kim. Harry Kim!

Virgo76

Did it work, making it a prequel? Actually set before all the other series including the 1960s one...
Do prequels ever work really?

evilcommiedictator

I like it how The Federation is basically America, Fuck Yeah! and Captain Archer has a cactus perpetually stuck up his arse

earl_sleek

The point I bailed was the episode where Trip gets pregnant.

MoreauVasz

Quote from: evilcommiedictator on March 23, 2021, 05:57:39 AM
I like it how The Federation is basically America, Fuck Yeah! and Captain Archer has a cactus perpetually stuck up his arse

And the Vulcans are the British.

Mobbd

Quote from: olliebean on March 22, 2021, 09:31:21 PM
eventually stalled a few minutes into an episode that looked like it was going to be entirely in unsubtitled Ferengi.

No joke, this one is a very good episode. Good performances from Clint Howard and Ethan Phillips. Good adherence to canon. The first ten mins is like a silent comedy and then it becomes a heist. A high point of Enterprise for me.

I don't generally care for Enterprise, I'm afraid. We tried to get into it after being teased with the idea of new Star Trek (with Discovery etc) and being very disappointed by it. Our attempt to "reclaim" Enterprise didn't really work but there are certainly things to commend it: the sets and West Wing-style walk-and-talks are good and the creative obstructions imposed by canon are interesting (albeit not always successful: I like the language problems but the transporter problems are annoying).

Also, Porthos is an 11/10 good dog.

Mobbd

Quote from: earl_sleek on March 23, 2021, 06:44:18 AM
The point I bailed was the episode where Trip gets pregnant.

I didn't think that one was particularly bad either! The aliens were far more interesting than your average forehead alien.

'Shuttlepod 1' was susprisingly good too, especially given how bland the characters usually are. It's a bottle show with two dudes drifting in a pod. Don't know why it works given the naff characters but it does.

mothman

Tucker & Reed as comedy buddy duo were definitely more than the sum of their parts, but in comparison to Bashir & O'Brien, the show never really committed to it.

(why is this in this forum, again?)

Goldentony

fuck is stars trek have you cunts made this shit up

JaDanketies

Didn't realise the Bakula was in it. I've got a few episodes recorded but never watched it. My gf and I watched many episodes of Quantum Leap together and I bought her a signed (probably printed) Scott Bakula picture so I might have a shot at turning her into a trekkie yet

Poobum

Re-watched some of Enterprise recently and they only plot arc that stands up for me is the Romulan drone ships and the alliance built to combat them. Along with Voyager I find it a show full of nonsense plots, appalling characterization, and some of the most dimwittedly inadvertently offensive episodes of television to be curled out. There's a complete inability to hold characters to account, or even reflect on the downright criminal actions they perform. This may be going into projection territory but it comes across as Trek done by democrat style liberals, where the default is "we are the good guys" so good faith is assumed and any moral debate is perfunctory at best and quickly dismissed, where actions done by "them" are evil but when done by "us" are passionate pragmatism. Tack on an empty self serving speech addressing none of the complexities brought up and plough on once more with aggressive self righteousness.

pigamus