Author Topic: Scott Bakula Star Trek Enterprise  (Read 8861 times)

mothman

• I don't know why
Re: Scott Bakula Star Trek Enterprise
« Reply #150 on: August 26, 2021, 11:32:54 PM »
Here’s an interesting attempt to retcon the seemingly Constitution-only fleet we see in TOS, to bring it more in line with the other ships/classes/registries we see in DSC: http://canonfodder.ex-astris-scientia.org/?Starships___Diversifying_Starfleet_in_TOS

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

• Living proof of everything wrong with the world
« Reply #151 on: August 26, 2021, 11:50:25 PM »
There was an all Vulcan Starfleet ship in DS9 Season 7.
in the dumbest episode ever

« Reply #152 on: August 27, 2021, 08:05:18 AM »
Here’s an interesting attempt to retcon the seemingly Constitution-only fleet we see in TOS, to bring it more in line with the other ships/classes/registries we see in DSC: http://canonfodder.ex-astris-scientia.org/?Starships___Diversifying_Starfleet_in_TOS

I love stuff like this

« Reply #153 on: August 27, 2021, 11:38:32 AM »
Speaking of TOS, not sure if this has been brought up before, but does anyone else think it's kind of odd for the Federation to be formed in the 2100s? As a kid watching TOS, I'd always had the impression that the Federation was relatively new, possibly formed as late as the 2240s or 2250s, hence the segregated ships, the awkwardness of having Spock aboard what's usually referred to as a "human ship", the frontier attitude where space is a huge unexplored zone, the frantic anxiety of any interactions with the Romulans and Klingons (although I do remember that Balance of Terror establishes that humans and Romulans first met about a century prior, which Enterprise later expanded on), the general sense that Kirk doesn't really know what he's doing and is just winging everything, the feeling of risk and high fatality rate which isn't present in the Picard era, etc.

Not sure if Enterprise was the one to establish the Federation's founding date, or if TNG/DS9/VOY got there first[1], but watching TOS with the knowledge that the Federation is a century old doesn't quite fit for me. Then again, a lot of things in TOS don't line up well with the Berman shows.
 1. or maybe even TOS itself gave an earlier date, not sure

Hmm, maybe it's a bit odd, yeah. I see what you mean. But you have things like Deep Space K7 though, which suggest a pretty advanced space-faring civilisation. As well as the logistics of setting up such a thing, everyone's attitude to its existence is pretty chill. To them it's almost like being in an airport or something. It's not a reaction of wonder like meeting the Doomsday Machine or the Dyson Sphere; it's a relatively run-of-the-mill place to be, suggesting people have been in space for quite a long time. I'm sure there are other examples of this.

TNG established the Federation founding date according to Memory Alpha. They just didn't overthink the background setting of TOS. Especially in the first season. I suppose you could handwave that the Constitution class was some sort of massive one off project producing 10 or 12 ships that were massively ahead of the rest of the fleet in terms of speed and how long they can support a crew without making a pitstop, meaning they can travel 100s of light years from the Federation's 'core' when other ships can't. Hence why they seem to be out on their own so much, and only encounter other Constitution class starships.

The apparent segregation of crews is harder to explain in-universe though.

That is some first-rate head canon. I like it. Love it, actually. Good sense of final frontiermanship, those Connies being all alone out there.

The Vulcan ship and the "human ship" thing don't trouble me too much. Tbh, "human ship" was probably a production or script mistake and while I know we treat those fuck-ups as canon I am not too worked up over this one. We have a "United Earth Ship Enterprise" or something too, right? Even in-universe, we could chalk it up to a mistake: Kirk being blotto on McCoy's secret sickbay hooch probably. That's my genuine proposal for an explanation.

I'm willing to think that maybe there's a good in-universe reason for a Vulcan Starfleet ship as a special project[2]. Maybe it's the way the ship's launch was "funded"/organised or maybe it's something to do with a control group or independent variable in a broader experiment relating to the biological or psychological study of people in space. I don't even mind what the reason is; just so long as nobody thinks a segregated ship is normal and common within the UFP's Starfleet.
 2. obviously in reality the writers just wanted to set up a heel team who were both snobby and tough so Vulcans were perfect

« Reply #154 on: August 27, 2021, 11:42:11 AM »
Formally segregated ships are obviously a dodgy concept but I can imagine e.g. Vulcans would prefer to serve on a ship with high temperatures and low humidity (maybe higher gravity as well), so they and other aliens with similar needs would be more likely to predominate on some ships while you get more humans etc on others.

Tags: