Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:04:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

No No No No No No Limits

Started by Jemble Fred, February 28, 2004, 02:16:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jemble Fred

Hark at Chortle:

QuoteJen up on stand-up

Telly host's bid to conquer comedy
TV presenter Jenny Powell is to attempt to become a stand-up comic for a new ITV series.

Her goal is to beat the gong at the Comedy Store's notorious new act challenge - and she has already performed at a British Legion club and in a shopping centre to a lukewarm reaction.

Stand-up Seymour Mace has been giving her tips, and she will also try to warm up a TV studio audience with the help of old hand Ted Robbins.

An ITV spokesman said: "Jenny is swapping the sanctuary of C-grade celebritydom for the harsh, unforgiving world of stand-up comedy.

"The series will follow Jenny as she transforms from witty Cheshire socialite to performing at one of Manchester's leading comedy clubs.

"This is an exploration of why the North West is such a hotbed of comic talent, and to help her in her transformation, Jenny will meet some of the region's leading comics such as Des O'Connor, Justin Moorhouse and Bernard Manning."

Jenny, who was discovered by Jonathan King in 1986 to front his music show No Limits, said Mace was giving her some useful advice.

"He's given me some golden nuggets," she said. "He said, 'When you have these weird ideas, Jenny, just keep them going.'"

Stand Up Jenny is on ITV in the Granada region for four weeks from 11.30pm next Thursday. Her King Gong gig at the Manchester Comedy Store is on Sunday March 7.

This was quite sweet too:

QuoteHughes ready for a pint?

Sean takes his tiny audience out for beer
Sean Hughes took his entire audience out for a pint when only 25 people turned up to see him.

The Never Mind The Buzzocks star was disappointed with the size of his audience when he played Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, on Thursday night.

So he raced through his set, then offered to buy a drink at a nearby pub for everyone who'd brought a £15 ticket.

And later, the 38-year-old comic even took a couple of them to a curry house.

Edward Gostelow, one of the few to turn up to Hughes' book and poetry reading, told the Eastern Daily Press: "Only about 25 people turned up and I think it was all a bit strange for him.

"It was a weird venue - it's like a courtroom. There's no bar, no smoking and so he wasn't a very happy bunny.

"He pretty much wanted to go to the pub, so he tore through his stuff from 7.30pm to about 9.30pm and then took everybody down the pub.

"It caused a bit of a stir at the bar when other customers realised Sean Hughes had just walked in."

But at the Shapla Tandoori Restaurant , Ayob Ali said: "There was a comedian in here last night. I do not know of him."

Darrell

Quote"There was a comedian in here last night. I do not know of him. I didn't kill him. You can't prove anything."

I love it when people sound like they're lying badly.