Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 02:38:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

SHIPJAM

Started by Rizla, March 24, 2021, 02:54:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rizla

Check out this dunce!

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/24/huge-container-ship-blocks-suez-canal-evergreen

Imagine all the ships behind it, honking their huge horns. Shouting "Move it!" and "You could get a bus through there!".

The driver of the ship must be feeling a right wally, I know I would be. The boat's not even got the right name on the side, it says "Evergreen" not Ever Given. What sort of name's "Ever Given" for a big ship anyway? "Ever Given" your boat to an absolute spanner of a captain to drive? 

Oh well, better than Boaty McBoatface I suppose.

I'm tracking the shipjam live, it's gripping stuff.

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/shipid:5630138/zoom:15

steveh

Reported to be a combination of high winds and the bank effect.

All Evergreen's ships start with Ever in their name but as they've added more and more the names have got increasingly odd.

seepage

What's the betting the UK's entire 6-month quota of graphics cards are on board?

Glebe

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

What About Us?

* tips the wink to all fellow Fall fans*

jobotic

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Rizla on March 24, 2021, 02:54:14 AM

I'm tracking the shipjam live, it's gripping stuff.

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/shipid:5630138/zoom:15

Didn't know you could go from Newcastle all the way to Basel by boat!

hamfist

I've been watching a lot of ship salvage vids on youtube recently, featuring the hardy lads from Dutch companies like Smit Tak and Mammoet dealing with carnage at sea and also carnage washed up on coastlines and also carnage sitting underneath the sea. I bet they could take care of this monster and get her safely out of the Suez in time for coffee and stroopwaffels.

Dex Sawash

[tag] unused CaB accounts [/tag]

Dex Sawash

Won't be a minute, just popping in for a pack of cigs

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

That's going to take at least a five point turn to get it straight again.

shiftwork2

we've all done it!

kryton2.0

What a bloody nuisance.

Captain Z

Sorry, guys. You're gonna have to go the long way round.

Head Gardener

steve98

Seems to me the captain/pilot of this monster ship would be blind, in the sense of not being able to see: look where the steering room is? nearer the stern than the bow. Can't possibly see what's happening at the front, way back there.

idunnosomename

i love seeing the austin powers thing because it's like the funniest joke in the film. and it's a very funny film

kryton2.0

Can i be the first to mention that the ship drew a giant penis with its navigational path before getting stuck. Proper commitment that is.

idunnosomename

steve98

It's a bit indistinct and ...clunky (The Evergreen cock n' balls) ... (and there's no jap's eye)

Paul Calf

Still stuck. Hope you didn't order anything from China.

Icehaven

That's properly triggered my megalophobia.

Jittlebags

Quote from: steve98 on March 25, 2021, 07:24:45 AM
It's a bit indistinct and ...clunky (The Evergreen cock n' balls) ... (and there's no jap's eye)

Nor all spunk coming out of the end of it. B-

idunnosomename

Quote from: Jittlebags on March 25, 2021, 01:29:38 PM
Nor all spunk coming out of the end of it. B-
can you explain how a two hundred thousand tonne container ship is supposed to do a dotted line

Blumf

Why don't they just send all the ships from one end through and wait till the pressure blows the blockage out?

Icehaven

It's never a good idea to send a boat down a canal or river that's too small for it to turn around if it needs to. I mean I know that's just how barges and canals work, but that's no help if you suddenly realise you left your dog outside the pub and it's 15 miles to the next turning point.

jobotic

Pour hot water down the canal until the blockage dissolves.

idunnosomename

people now getting out of their ships in the Red Sea and stretching their legs