Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:12:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Cunts And Shitheads Of YouTube

Started by Dr Rock, March 24, 2021, 09:33:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Space ghost

An hour and 40 minutes. Oh I don't think so.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: lazarou on April 14, 2021, 10:26:35 AM
Speaking of Doug Walker, a fairly savage breakdown of his inexplicable musical parody of The Wall just arrived courtesy of Dan Olson/Folding Ideas: https://youtu.be/rokAtlFGa7Y

Probably safe to skip the first section there and just jump to the second chapter if you're already familiar with The Wall. Dan himself was briefly part of the whole Channel Awesome thing but there seems to be no love lost there as this gets pretty vicious pretty quickly.

Watching now as I'd happily watch any video tearing apart a Doug Walker 'production'. As much as I hate Doug Walker, I will add that The Wall isn't actually that great a film. There are good sections, interesting ideas, iconic animation from Scarfe, the music of course, and Alan Parker was a decent film maker, but as a whole, The Wall ain't all that.

Retinend

Quote from: Cuellar on April 16, 2021, 02:35:44 PM
Not a good look in a video about being cancelled for racial insensitivity.

"Rodgers, Richards, who cares"

Just do another take where you get it right.

And she was relaying the info in this article[nb]without crediting the author - am I an old fogey for being annoyed by that?[/nb], in case anyone is interested:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/cancel-culture-background-black-culture-white-grievance/2021/04/01/2e42e4fe-8b24-11eb-aff6-4f720ca2d479_story.html
The strange journey of 'cancel,' from a Black-culture punchline to a White-grievance watchword

kngen

Quote from: Retinend on April 16, 2021, 02:52:38 PM
without crediting the author - am I an old fogey for being annoyed by that?

Given that the article's premise is about black culture being misappropriated by white people, a nod to the black journalist by the white vlogger for writing an excellent, informative article would be job no. 1 on any sane person's list.

Retinend

Quote from: kngen on April 16, 2021, 03:19:34 PM
Given that the article's premise is about black culture being misappropriated by white people, a nod to the black journalist by the white vlogger for writing an excellent, informative article would be job no. 1 on any sane person's list.

Good point. It's annoying to me how much of YouTube is people telling you "how it is" without acknowledging that they are just an aggregator of other people's facts (and usually from the first page of a google search).

Speaking of Doug Walker, a fairly savage breakdown of his inexplicable musical parody of The Wall just arrived courtesy of Dan Olson/Folding Ideas: https://youtu.be/rokAtlFGa7Y

Probably safe to skip the first section there and just jump to the second chapter if you're already familiar with The Wall. Dan himself was briefly part of the whole Channel Awesome thing but there seems to be no love lost there as this gets pretty vicious pretty quickly.

He comes across as a petty and pretentious - vicious is the right word. He takes himself sooo seriously. But I'm enjoying it for just how bizarre this "review" is (that is, the parody+review of Pink Floyd's "The Wall" by Doug Walker, itself being reviewed). I can't believe it was made as recently as it was. It's just so lo-fi, and not in a charming way. You'd think that after a decade making these things full time, he would be able to do better.

willbo

I got sucked back into reading about Social Repose and Narlee over the week

Narlee was a 30 year old female youtuber who had a few diagnosed mental health issues, and some family problems - she had given up custody of her 2 children to a relative I think, and was having a rough time generally - she used her youtube to talk about her issues and life,

Social Repose is a youtuber (then 28) who does songs and skits, I hadn't heard of him but he has over a million subscribers,

Repose did a video in 2017 (i think) where he talked about how he lives in a secluded wooded house in Virginia because he hates the thought of anyone knowing where he lives, he also showed a google maps shot of his home from overhead, and said sarcastically ..."none of you fans will ever figure out where I live...I will give you a glass of milk if you can find this house"

Narlee decided to take him literally, somehow figured out where he lived, and filmed herself travelling to his front door for the "glass of milk challenge". Anyway he was reportedly quite annoyed and unfriendly (there is no video of them together, just a photo), and he shortly after did a video asking fans not to come to his house

Anyway Narlee committed suicide a year later, probably due to the combination of everything going on in her life. Every youtube video with him has battles underneath with one side saying "he killed her, he created the challenge" and the other side saying "it was a joke, he should not have been obligated to entertain a stranger".

I dunno what it is but the story has really grabbed me and I think of it often, Narlee seems like she was really sweet, but the whole "he killed her" ...I mean even if it was a bad, stupid joke, he shouldn't have been responsible for someone's life with it. Her friends  commented saying that he shouldn't feel responsible. But it does seem like he could have followed up the situation better afterward I guess, if only for his own reputation.

thugler

Right, well Doug Walker stuff and Nostalgia Critic etc. is obviously crap low rent inexplicably popular stuff. But It's pretty much always been like that. He's just gotten money from doing it for so long and people obviously like it to some extent I guess. Also the Wall is far from some wonderful unimpeachable piece of art. It is a pretentious mess with some great inspired bits and songs. But it's also where Pink Floyd started to stink. Does this warrant 50 minutes of analysis? Probably not. I do enjoy some of his videos but I do sense an axe to grind. Given that he was part of this 'Channel Awesome' thing, which I knew absolutely nothing of before seeing the other video linked previously about these horrendous looking Walker fronted 'films' and quiz show project. But I'm imagining even the content made by other people was probably of the same vein and quite crap? Am I right?

Quote from: bgmnts on April 15, 2021, 06:21:47 PM
Lindsay Ellis just dropped this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7aWz8q_IM4&ab_channel=LindsayEllis

Come on now, an hour and 40 minutes. Not necessary. I did watch it by the way. Nothing she couldn't have cut down to 20 minutes, and little not covered in Contrapoints' similar, better video.

thugler

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on April 16, 2021, 01:19:31 PM
Can someone bulletpoint the main arguments for someone that doesn't want to watch two hours? I appreciate I will lose some crucial details and nuances but I would still rather accept that and factor that in than devote that time to it.

The original tweet, was basically not offensive at all, many had pointed this out and had been confronted with 'but look at these other things she's done' and presented with a long list of other minor transgressions (some of which originated with and have been archived by alt rightish types) which range from ill judged jokes and language to mild black comedy made as a young person. She goes through them all and explains what she was thinking and accepts where they were her fault. Also points out some of them were not what they seem, and one example was a sketch she made and never intended to put online, but was put on by accident without her consent. (having looked it up myself it's mild as fuck anyway and would barely have raised an eyebrow at the time it was made) Also points out that the cancel people are not interested in reason and just want to find the next person to destroy.

It's not worth an hour and 40 minutes of anyone's time.

Dr Rock

I reckon a lot of those vicious tweets are from outright, probably right-wing trolls. Where can you troll these days, Twitter must be heaving with them. And getting genuine lefties off twitter would be considered a big win for any right-wing troll. I had another look at the video to see if any had made-up names, or a history of tweeting non-trolly stuff but she's blocked out the user names. I find it hard to believe that all of those venomous cunts also have lovely left-wing beliefs.

Zetetic

Quote from: Retinend on April 16, 2021, 02:52:38 PM
And she was relaying the info in this article...without crediting the author
Quote from: kngen on April 16, 2021, 03:19:34 PM
She presents a citation on-screen:

Retinend

Ah, my mistake. I was only listening to it at that point (and for most of it). Sorry, Lindsay, if you're out there.

Fr.Bigley

That Logan/Jake Paul duo are right cunts aren't they? Like reading a boxing article this morning and the Jake cunt said he's a natural born fighter....yeah OK. What is with these YouTubers taking beef to a fucking ring and thinking they're hard. They wouldn't last 5 mins with a proper journeyman. Like exhibition fights between no-marks?

Latest beef is with Tommy Fury, and yes, he's all reality TV but for this Paul twat to offer him out is ludicrous. Does he not know Fury is part of a dynasty of properly hard fighting-in-the-culture lads? Really pisses me off that they associate popularity with being hard.

That KSI dick did the same...stick to making "reaction" videos and playing fifa...cunts.

Chedney Honks

Hope they punch each other into brain damage

😵😵😵

MoreauVasz

Thing that fascinated me about the take-down of Doug Walker is when he gets to the final section, pulls a slightly sad face, and starts shovelling on the caveats about how he appreciates how hard it is to do CGI animation etc.

What I find fascinating is that Walker not only merits no caveats, but the criticisms of him are hard and really quite personal. That bit where he says that Walker is a shit critic because he's a fundamentally incurious man with no interest in other people? That is way over the line given the context of the video.

So I wonder why the dude at the end merits caveats as while his animations seem technically good they are some of the most aesthetically displeasing things I have ever seen on the Internet. Large breasted lemur rat things with bloodshot eyes? What even is that?

Cuellar

madhair60

Quote from: Cuellar on April 16, 2021, 02:35:44 PM
Not a good look in a video about being cancelled for racial insensitivity.

"Rodgers, Richards, who cares"

Just do another take where you get it right.

haha! whaat??

Cuellar

Video Game Fan 2000

You'd never made that mistake about Jimi Henson or Bob McCartney.

peanutbutter

RE equating the likes of Philosophy Tube to people like Shapiro, isn't a key difference that PT seems to want people to be sufficiently interested by her coverage  of a thing that they may delve deeper, whereas Shapiro is just a very quickly read off list of citations to make you feel better about the opinion you already have? I've never seen anything involving Shapiro where he displays enthusiasm for any of the ideas he's pushing, they're just blunt weapons he's trying to recite off to prove/disprove a very specific thing in a very specific way.

Add me to the Jenny Nicholson fans, has a great eye for topics that she can talk about well to the point it doesn't matter if I've zero interest in them usually.

As far as Channel Awesome people go, I feel like Lindsay Ellis sometimes gets a lot of bonus credit just for being the least shit person involved, but I prefer Todd in the Shadows.

Very few original pre-2010 youtubers endured at all, did they? I know JennaMarbles and Smosh retained pretty big followings but I never hear their names mentioned anywhere.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

"haha fuck off making a 100min video about why you were cancelled and addressing the shitty things people keep accusing you of, nobody cares, it's not worth anybody's time" you know you can skip that entire bit right, she's using that new YouTube timestamp thing that lets you navigate to different sections of the video, which she's handily labelled for everybody who definitely doesn't care so much that they watched the first few minutes of the video

lazarou

Quote from: MoreauVasz on April 16, 2021, 06:43:23 PM
Thing that fascinated me about the take-down of Doug Walker is when he gets to the final section, pulls a slightly sad face, and starts shovelling on the caveats about how he appreciates how hard it is to do CGI animation etc.

What I find fascinating is that Walker not only merits no caveats, but the criticisms of him are hard and really quite personal. That bit where he says that Walker is a shit critic because he's a fundamentally incurious man with no interest in other people? That is way over the line given the context of the video.

Bear in mind that unlike most people who've done videos on this stuff, Dan does have at least some direct personal experience of working with the Walkers and was friends with a few of the people who were really questionably treated over at Channel Awesome so as nasty as it may be there are at least some grounds for it. He did actually know the guy and left their site in pretty short order after a test run so I'm guessing he didn't like what he saw over there.

QuoteSo I wonder why the dude at the end merits caveats as while his animations seem technically good they are some of the most aesthetically displeasing things I have ever seen on the Internet. Large breasted lemur rat things with bloodshot eyes? What even is that?

He acknowledges the effort involved but also pretty clearly calls those out as being shallow, over-designed edgelord furry nonsense (I forget the exact wording but it was something very similar to that). The difference is it does at least show a level of technical competence that not only does Doug not have but has shown no interest in developing.

QuoteHe comes across as a petty and pretentious - vicious is the right word. He takes himself sooo seriously. But I'm enjoying it for just how bizarre this "review" is (that is, the parody+review of Pink Floyd's "The Wall" by Doug Walker, itself being reviewed). I can't believe it was made as recently as it was. It's just so lo-fi, and not in a charming way. You'd think that after a decade making these things full time, he would be able to do better.

That's one of the strangest things to me, most people who have been doing this stuff for so long would have developed at least some kind of technical competence if only by accident through sheer practice. They'd been doing this stuff for years when the last CA movies came out and whole shots in those things weren't even in focus. The Walkers seem to be genuinely incapable of improving as regardless of the amount of money thrown at a project everything just seem to come out the same kind of shitty, just a little shinier at the edges.

Definitely agreed that Dan does come off as pretentious here and a lot of this feels very overwritten in places but I thought it was interesting as an example of someone not just doing the usual pointing and laughing at the Nostalgia Critic thing but actually taking the time and effort to pull the whole thing apart in some detail. And I did feel like the more he did that the worse Doug's shtick started to look. I am genuinely a little baffled by the guy, a lot of the worst of the old internet crowd have softened a bit and seem to have some self-awareness these days but he just kept doubling down on this one thing that didn't have much substance to begin with.

lazarou

QuoteAs far as Channel Awesome people go, I feel like Lindsay Ellis sometimes gets a lot of bonus credit just for being the least shit person involved, but I prefer Todd in the Shadows.

Yeah big fan of Todd's stuff, clearly puts the work in and again doesn't take themselves too seriously. Wouldn't always necessarily agree with the guy but he's consistently entertaining and if I'm honest I've probably gotten more enjoyment out of Trainwreckords than everything else from that lot put together.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: lazarou on April 17, 2021, 12:02:26 AM
if I'm honest I've probably gotten more enjoyment out of Trainwreckords than everything else from that lot put together.
"You can play along at home!" (bangs ladle and pot together) "Look everybody, I'm Lars Ulrich!"

Sonny_Jim

I did enjoy the other Folding Ideas videos, the flat earth one was really good and 'the editing of Suicide Squad' is another I think about from time to time.  But this one definitely did feel a bit 'and this is why Doug Walker is a poopypants', which is fair enough I suppose.  There's a lot of shitting on Doug Walker going around at the moment and fuck me if he doesn't deserve it, but I thought Folding Ideas might be a bit above it.

Dusty Substance

Of the many videos detailing the downfall of Doug Walker, this recent upload from Diregentleman was exceptionally good - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E03h-3GweNc - Second only to one from Ralphthemoviemaker.

Video Game Fan 2000

I laughed at the Doug Walker's the Wall review, seen a couple and thats the best one, but Folding Ideas definitely comes off badly once he stops dragging other people and starts spouting his own ideas. His stuff on narrative structure might as well be fucking Moviebob. Unpacking tropes and semantic arguments about what 'diegetic' means, no thank you.

His Flat Earth video is definitely clever and well put together but ultimately his thesis is "they're not a monolith in the way the these other guys think, they're a monolith in a way I think" which is unconvincing. Its really weird how many liberal take-downs of far right 'paranoid style' politics are paranoid themselves - essentially saying, look I know the goofy extremes of the opposing view seem goofy but that goofiness only hides nefarious unspoken ideologies that its wrong to even try to persuade people away from. Just like the right with their stories about the Kampus Krazies. Wee bit of a moral panic going on across the pond about whether liberals or leftists are the ones humanising the far right too much, and I don't think his thesis on Flat Earth/QAnon really makes sense outside of the context of that.

There's always going to be hundreds of thousands of people out there with covertly extreme views about shit like creationism, cosmology or just what fucking reality is and that doesn't mean that American party politics is the immoveable center of it all. I mean, the middle east and asia exist and are full of people who have internet connections and spiritual beliefs. The fact that this frequently crosses over with extremist politics doesn't mean the two are basically the same thing, and it kind of glosses over the way the far right deliberately integrates itself with kook stuff as a recruiting tool - Evola and Savitri Dev came up in the other thread.

MoreauVasz

I'm just struck by the absolute futility of it all... You drag me, I drag you, I say something that someone takes issue with, you drag me again, I make a 7 hour video explaining how it is you who is the arsehole *actually* and everyone makes video responses to that.

Pure attention economics cosplaying alternatively as politics and academic debate.

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: MoreauVasz on April 28, 2021, 07:56:15 PM
I'm just struck by the absolute futility of it all... You drag me, I drag you, I say something that someone takes issue with, you drag me again, I make a 7 hour video explaining how it is you who is the arsehole *actually* and everyone makes video responses to that.

Saying you respect someone very much but dogwhistle that they're sympathetic to the far right while complimenting them.