Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 05:46:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Cunts And Shitheads Of YouTube

Started by Dr Rock, March 24, 2021, 09:33:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Retinend

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on April 28, 2021, 08:04:01 PM
Saying you respect someone very much but dogwhistle that they're sympathetic to the far right while complimenting them.

Right. He's the sort of person who summarizes what his opponent says in an eyerolly voice, then says, sighing "....and that's fine..." when it isn't really "fine".

Video Game Fan 2000

Yeah and "I'm going to be mean now"

No you're not mate, you're going to read off a bunch of tvtropes bingo card bullshit. That kind of 'critique' does my nut. If you want to gloat and laugh at someone being dumb, do that.

Sonny_Jim

buttgammon

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on May 12, 2021, 08:25:28 AM
Does this guy count?

Is that an am dram production of Twin Peaks: The Return?

Clownbaby

Quote from: thenoise on March 24, 2021, 05:44:23 PM
ASHENS

Sorry to lump him in with the alt-right and genuinely horrible people nominated so far (who I definitely won't look up as it might upset MaH AlGoRiThM), but youtube has definitely decided that I'm definitely the sort of person who might enjoy his hilarious witty British oh so jolly British sarcasm oh look he has a brown sofa just like Mum and isn't poundshop awful imagine actually buying all this stuff that I'm actually going out and buying imagine actually cooking and eating this awful food that I am cooking and eating can you imagine?

But I'm definitely not.

And he's got a mate who appears in some of his videos who just gets to me, christ, they were doing a Poundland sandwiches taste test and I wanted to deck the twat, grimacing like an absolute fanny. Ashens grates with his slightly smarmy dorky ''British wit'' but his mate who I can't be bothered looking up the name of, my god, get him off my screen

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: Clownbaby on May 19, 2021, 12:14:52 AM
And he's got a mate who appears in some of his videos who just gets to me, christ, they were doing a Poundland sandwiches taste test and I wanted to deck the twat, grimacing like an absolute fanny. Ashens grates with his slightly smarmy dorky ''British wit'' but his mate who I can't be bothered looking up the name of, my god, get him off my screen

Is that the fanny that looks like a misshapen jamie oliver? No mincing machine too small.
I am also delighted that Ashen has shaved off his hair remnant and provided us all with the glory of his massive Sajid Javid/Karl Pilkington spherical baldness.

Clownbaby

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on May 19, 2021, 12:23:14 AM
Is that the fanny that looks like a misshapen jamie oliver?

The very same. I get a dainty sprinkling off Matt Tebbutt in there as well, who also radiates knob

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: Clownbaby on May 19, 2021, 12:34:40 AM
The very same. I get a dainty sprinkling off Matt Tebbutt in there as well, who also radiates knob

He's called 'barry', for your records. Fucking BARRY.

Sonny_Jim

I don't mind Ashens, he's fairly self depreceating and he's found his schtick and stuck to it for literal decades.  He started before Youtube IIRC.

But Barry, fuck me.  He's the kind of guy you don't mind joining a drinking group if there's more than 4-5 of you already, but I shudder at the thought of having to talk to the cunt for longer than 2-3 minutes.  It's not that he's an arsehole, he seems a lovely chap really, but there's this aroma of forced hilarity and self doubt which I can't stand.

Plus he had a semi-decent series of videos about kitchen gadgets he fucked up royally by going completely overboard with the production style as soon as he started to get popular.  The format works when you see him fucking around in a kitchen on his own with a weird chinese orange peeler, but he tried going full 'Jamie Oliver in a converted barn', complete with macro shots with expensive lenses.  All that was missing was a restored VW campervan in the rear of the shots.  He completely fucked the only appeal those videos had in the first place.

But yeah, Barry Cunt, Ashens Alright.

Clownbaby

Alright this isn't a Youtuber but mercy I cannot watch a single video without fucking VINTED showing up. I don't think I've seen such a pedestrian yet smug advert be repeated so aggressively on Youtube. The mobile game adverts were a bit annoying but VINTED has this subtle cosy arrogance that I can't quite put my finger on. I'll never use the app purely because they're so persistent

The Ombudsman

I now think Joe Rogan is definitely a cunt after his series of recent blatherings.

Catalogue Trousers

Other things the title of this thread can be sung to:

the opening of the main theme from Star Wars (after the initial fanfare)
Jubilation T Cornpone
Camptown Races
Tie Me Kangaroo Down Sport

and there are probably even more. Enough to start up a cunty YouTube channel, in fact.

Retinend

Quote from: The Ombudsman on May 20, 2021, 11:11:08 AM
I now think Joe Rogan is definitely a cunt after his series of recent blatherings.

What's he said now?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Clownbaby on May 19, 2021, 11:09:11 PM
Alright this isn't a Youtuber but mercy I cannot watch a single video without fucking VINTED showing up. I don't think I've seen such a pedestrian yet smug advert be repeated so aggressively on Youtube. The mobile game adverts were a bit annoying but VINTED has this subtle cosy arrogance that I can't quite put my finger on. I'll never use the app purely because they're so persistent

Grammerly and Hello Fresh have similar levels of cosy smugness. Dont get me started on Honey

Sonny_Jim

This comment I found under a Youtube video of an old house tune:

Life's fable...

A tiny introduction of joy and happiness starts off journey. A life long message is stated near the beginning. It is repeated to be a constant reminder. An impression of children playing around and smiling gleefully starts to take hold. All the worries of the world feel like they flow freely away as the tune progresses. The pace slows. The beat that was carried drifts away. The life long message returns for one final time. One last reminder to keep it near and dear to your heart because a child's life does not last forever. The hustle and bustle returns with a steady beat which mimics the one before. It is more serious and somber. Life changes as life passes by. And then, the siren rings out loud telling you that life cannot be so happy without the inverse occurring. The siren rings loud as the beat fades away. The only thing that never fades is the rhythm because rhythm is fundamental to the spirit...a life long message.

Retinend

Quote from: BlodwynPig on May 21, 2021, 08:31:53 AM
Grammerly and Hello Fresh have similar levels of cosy smugness. Dont get me started on Honey

Here's another very smug self-aware ad for "Simply Piano".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a9I9UhcTgg

Pink Gregory

"How is it that a third of the food we produce, is wasted?"

Yes that seems like quite the insurmountable problem, I am interested to hear what your suggestion is as to the solution.

"We've created an app."

mmmmhm.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: MoreauVasz on April 28, 2021, 07:56:15 PM
I'm just struck by the absolute futility of it all... You drag me, I drag you, I say something that someone takes issue with, you drag me again, I make a 7 hour video explaining how it is you who is the arsehole *actually* and everyone makes video responses to that.

Pure attention economics cosplaying alternatively as politics and academic debate.

Wrestle mania without the athletics or self awareness. Folding ideas is good sometimes, and I thought there's a couple of interesting bits in this video, but he Is definatley at risk of becoming a shallow YouTube takedown guy with stuff like this. He recently waded in on the subject of NFTs on twitter after having admitted to having only done a few days research on the subject, offering some pretty definative conclusions about them. NFTs may well be garbage, but do we really need some media studies bloke skim reading a dense and years old subject?

Video Game Fan 2000

The main Dunning-Kruger vector of our age: if you've been taught that there is no outside of discourse, and you've been taught how a form of discourse analysis works, then you can analyze everything. Every topic is open to your expertise about tropes. Every conceivable topic is filling up with media jargon. NFTs are an extreme example but there's a take goldrush going on with everyone talking about ethereum tokens as if they're a new music format or kind of videogame copy protection - I'm sure there must be loads of intellectual property reasons why they're awful, but I haven't seen any of the usual suspects comment on that.

Virgin media studies video essay maker V chad epistemologically humble interdisciplinarian

PlanktonSideburns

Good post. So many people real and on screens in my life think this

Got no problem with people talking about things out of their depth either, it's just how they go about it. Researching something for 2 days and thinking they're neo learning kung fu on the other hand, fucks sake

What did Ben folds say? It's OK if you don't know everything

Sonny_Jim

Quote from: Pink Gregory on May 22, 2021, 09:27:42 PM
"How is it that a third of the food we produce, is wasted?"

Yes that seems like quite the insurmountable problem, I am interested to hear what your suggestion is as to the solution.

"We've created an app."

mmmmhm.
This is every Kickstarter video ever.  I can just hear the ukulele/whistling soundtrack.

The Ombudsman

Quote from: Retinend on May 21, 2021, 07:54:05 AM
What's he said now?

He made some comment that healthy 20 somethings don't need to get the vaccination (ignoring the fact even if they feel fine with their symptoms they are still carriers). Later he said that white middle aged men will soon not be allowed to talk or take part in any debates (or some such).

Since his recent move, he does sound like he is trying too hard to fit in to the new surroundings. I wonder if he has taken a listening hit with the move to Spotify. I've only listened t to the clips still posted to YouTube and the 30 second pleading at the end of every one does sound desperate.

He would occasionally have good guests on (Brian Cox, Louis Theroux, Bob Lazar, to name a few etc.) but I can't listen to it any more.

PlanktonSideburns

He's like Douglas Adam's electric monk but his opinion tombola is stuffed with famous wanker's opinions