Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:07:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Cunts And Shitheads Of YouTube

Started by Dr Rock, March 24, 2021, 09:33:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Space ghost

Quote from: RicoMNKN on March 24, 2021, 12:52:08 PM
I tend to think the accusations that he is part of the alt-right are a little unfair.  I suspect he's attempting to cover similar territory to Jon Ronson and Louis Theroux, but he's not as good at it and has attracted some awful fans as a result. 

I have been able to enjoy some of his interviews - the podcast is way too long and needs an editor, but it is not wall-to-wall extremists, and whilst he's a bit of a dick and an awful stand-up, I don't think he's particularly nasty unlike Paul Joseph Watson et al.

He's in the Ricky Gervais box.

His content attracts and provides a space for large groups of men to swap, share and reinforce their reactionary opinions.

He knows exactly what he's doing.

RicoMNKN

Quote from: Space ghost on March 24, 2021, 07:54:29 PM
His content attracts and provides a space for large groups of men to swap, share and reinforce their reactionary opinions.

He knows exactly what he's doing.

Whilst I agree that is what is happening when he gets on far right guests, most of his guests don't fit into that category.

I really think he's just too arrogant/thick to realise that he's pushing the Overton window by allowing the far right a major platform.

But who knows?  He claims to both be a libertarian and support Bernie Sanders.  Goodness knows how he worked that one out.

chveik

youtube is quite the cesspit. you need to monitor it carefully to avoid all the crap.

evilcommiedictator

Anyone who has their actual face in more than 50% of the video is a shithead.

Zetetic

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on March 24, 2021, 07:35:26 PM
Same with almost every recipe or how-to article on the internet. Every cunt has got their GCSE English 'start with an introduction' figured out to a tee. Just get to the point. I clicked on your link ready, I don't need justification for why it exists.
Is this anything to do with making it slightly harder to reproduce out-of-context without it being obvious and trackable?

(I'm aware of the stuff around copyright not applying to bare recipes, but I assume there's a more pragmatic aspect to this than that?)

Catalogue Trousers

Quote...who intimidated Lindsay Ellis into doing sexual abuse "humour" after she complained about him writing that her character gets raped off screen.

Conveniently overlooking that Lindsay had already willingly filmed herself miming fellatio, allowed clips of hot dogs and suspicious-looking white fluid being chucked in her face, and wrote the hilarious little ditty 'Rape Rap'. Pardon me if I don't feel too sympathetic. Nostalgia Critic is a dick. So's she. So are most of the self-styled Channel Awesome prats.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: Catalogue Trousers on March 24, 2021, 10:04:16 PM
Conveniently overlooking that Lindsay had already willingly filmed herself miming fellatio, allowed clips of hot dogs and suspicious-looking white fluid being chucked in her face, and wrote the hilarious little ditty 'Rape Rap'. Pardon me if I don't feel too sympathetic. Nostalgia Critic is a dick. So's she. So are most of the self-styled Channel Awesome prats.

Fucking hell.

idunnosomename

Quote from: thenoise on March 24, 2021, 05:44:23 PM
ASHENS

Sorry to lump him in with the alt-right and genuinely horrible people nominated so far (who I definitely won't look up as it might upset MaH AlGoRiThM), but youtube has definitely decided that I'm definitely the sort of person who might enjoy his hilarious witty British oh so jolly British sarcasm oh look he has a brown sofa just like Mum and isn't poundshop awful imagine actually buying all this stuff that I'm actually going out and buying imagine actually cooking and eating this awful food that I am cooking and eating can you imagine?

But I'm definitely not.
see I only know Ashens from Digitiser and from that I think he's a perfectly competent comedy straight man who can do a decent bit of improv and land a joke. I never get recommended any of his stuff though and have never bothered to look at it.

Poobum

Quote from: Catalogue Trousers on March 24, 2021, 10:04:16 PM

Doug Walker was a writer and producer who oversaw a toxic and abusive working environment, Lindsay Ellis was a young person starting their career with little editorial control doing shit jokes. Doug Walker is still shit and has never taken any accountability, whilst Lindsay Ellis has apologized, produced years worth of thoughtful and interesting media criticism, and being great at getting the progressive message out there. So I'd disagree that they're both just dicks. The fact that it was called Channel Awesome though, kinda advertising you're a loada cunts.

"remember to smash that subscribe button"

"with that being said"

True Geordie

Quote from: H-O-W-L on March 24, 2021, 06:25:33 PM
terrible BBC Micro and Amiga games sold in corner shops for 55p

I enjoy a Kim Justice deep dive on that kind of gear.

Ian Drunken Smurf

beanheadmcginty

People who put a homemade (and usually far too long) production company title card on a clip of something that they had absolutely no hand in making.

stonkers

Quote from: idunnosomename on March 24, 2021, 10:24:15 PM
see I only know Ashens from Digitiser and from that I think he's a perfectly competent comedy straight man who can do a decent bit of improv and land a joke. I never get recommended any of his stuff though and have never bothered to look at it.

I think he's fine but his humour is a bit crap and I can see how his "ooh I bought a Hunger Breaks from Poundland and it was shit" videos could get a bit tiresome. I do like the ones where he eats 100 year old spam or whatever.

Dusty Substance

Another vote for Doug Walker (Nostalgia Critic). He's completely awful. Even putting aside all the terrible stuff with Nostalgia Chick and the treatment of the Channel Awesome contributers, he's clearly a vexatious cunt. He was alright when he first started, and it was cool to see someone who had found a way of doing something they liked, but he's been doing the same old schtick for 15 years and the "character" has barely evolved.

There are any number of awful movie reviewers on YouTube, mostly those completely self unaware "Hey guys!" types, who rarely demonstrate any knowledge of film outside of Star Wars, Marvel, DC etc. They're mostly annoying but harmless, and I'll usually know within seconds if I'm going to like their personalty.

The so-called Critical Drinker is a fucking dreadful reviewer. Doing reviews of sci-fi films in an affected drunken slurred voice. Where did he get that idea from? (*zoom in on Mike Stoklasa's  face*).

There's some shithead cunt on YouTube by the name of Glinner. Biggest transphobe you could imagine. Fortunately he's only got a handful of subscribers and views.

EDIT: Oh yeah, Ashens. I can not stand that particular brand of smug self-satisfied humour.

Chedney Honks

You can press the three dots next to a thumbnail and say don't recommend this channel or I am not interested.

Whenever I click on a shit link, I instantly erase it from my history so they don't recommend more like that.

lazarou

Quote from: Dusty Substance on March 25, 2021, 05:43:28 AM
Another vote for Doug Walker (Nostalgia Critic). He's completely awful. Even putting aside all the terrible stuff with Nostalgia Chick and the treatment of the Channel Awesome contributers, he's clearly a vexatious cunt. He was alright when he first started, and it was cool to see someone who had found a way of doing something they liked, but he's been doing the same old schtick for 15 years and the "character" has barely evolved.

Interesting watching doug vs avgn over the years with how doug found an acceptable level of "will this do" pretty early on and just ran it into the ground while the technical quality of james' stuff improved dramatically as it went along. I mean he was still doing the same tired shtick but I appreciate at least having some base level of pride in your work and respect for your audience that walker clearly did not give a shit about.

And he was one of the more presentable of the channel awesome crowd, it felt like a good half of them couldn't even be arsed to get a passable mic never mind a proper light or something (with the exception of angry joe's weirdly overproduced thing which I'm still not entirely sure anyone ever watched on purpose). Which just made it even more bizarre that they'd spend so much time on elaborate skits in after effects about fucking superpowered alter egos or some shit.

The one nice thing to come out of CA was seeing all the actually semi-decent ones (so Todd, Lindsay and Dan) evolve into interesting critics once they got out of there while the main crowd shrank away into the total irrelevance they deserved.

Christ I've been following this stuff so long I remember when spoony actually released things that weren't slow-motion performance pieces about a greasy man having an extremely public breakdown

Space ghost

Quote from: Chedney Honks on March 25, 2021, 06:23:15 AM
You can press the three dots next to a thumbnail and say don't recommend this channel or I am not interested.

Whenever I click on a shit link, I instantly erase it from my history so they don't recommend more like that.

Cheers homie

lazarou

I feel like I do some variation on that post every few years but I am bizarrely fascinated by how big a deal they were and that insane fandom they had. Furiously scribbled doug walker rape fantasy fanart, guro fetish pictures of marzgurl cut into pieces (which she was aware of enough to write what seems today like an unbelievably tolerant blog entry about), what the fuck were people on over there.

Retinend

Lindsay Ellis herself is one of the most annoying popular youtubers at the moment in my opinion.

Her success reflects three annoying trends: talking in an ironically infantilized tone about serious topics ("er, you might want to read a book about it that this dude KARL MARX wrote"[nb]not a real quote[/nb]), talking in an ironically serious tone about infantile topics ("The Cat in the Hat is the fictional epitome of capitalist quick-fixes and the wastages of alienated labor"[nb]also not a real quote[/nb]), and talking in an arrogant, "you're not even worth my time" kind of way regarding enemies online or straw men she sets up. To sum it up, she's a try-hard.

Retinend

Quote from: lazarou on March 25, 2021, 07:39:21 AM
I feel like I do some variation on that post every few years but I am bizarrely fascinated by how big a deal they were and that insane fandom they had. Furiously scribbled doug walker rape fantasy fanart, guro fetish pictures of marzgurl cut into pieces (which she was aware of enough to write what seems today like an unbelievably tolerant blog entry about), what the fuck were people on over there.

That's crazy - I'm not even sure if the blog post is actually condemning or condoning this sort of artistic "tribute". She concludes "it certainly isn't going to make me run and hide" as if it's all just a big laugh at the end of the day.

MoreauVasz

Quote from: Retinend on March 25, 2021, 08:03:44 AM
talking in an arrogant, "you're not even worth my time" kind of way regarding enemies online or straw men she sets up. To sum it up, she's a try-hard.

If she really was that smart, she would choose to watch something other than children's films.

That is one huge generational disconnect for me. What is it with people under the age of 35 being utterly uncritically obsessed with Disney?

The Ombudsman

The 8 Bit Guy is a tit. He was filming without masks and had a photo shoot inside a supermarket with some horrendous killing machine, I assume an AK. He's also got flack for butchering some repair videos. Occasionally his content is worth a watch but I have to hold my nose a bit.

Maybe he's just an average American, or at least an average Texan in those regards.

bgmnts

Quote from: MoreauVasz on March 25, 2021, 08:39:05 AM
If she really was that smart, she would choose to watch something other than children's films.

That is one huge generational disconnect for me. What is it with people under the age of 35 being utterly uncritically obsessed with Disney?

I mean Disney own us. Get on board.

The Ombudsman

Quote from: RicoMNKN on March 24, 2021, 08:27:11 PM
Whilst I agree that is what is happening when he gets on far right guests, most of his guests don't fit into that category.

I really think he's just too arrogant/thick to realise that he's pushing the Overton window by allowing the far right a major platform.

But who knows?  He claims to both be a libertarian and support Bernie Sanders.  Goodness knows how he worked that one out.

He does have some nasty shits on his show, but I have seen him put pressure on people and make them look a fool which I think is the best way to neuter their argument. Akin to when that BNP shit was on Question Time and straight after the BNP went into steady decline (of course Tommy Robinson attracted many away anyway). I think he made Milo, Gavin ? (ex Vice guy) and Stephen Crowder look bad, as well as Rubin to name a few. When Alex Jones has been on he tries (but possibly fails) to fact check things and was vocal about his disagreements around the Sandy Hook debacle and some of his other crazy antics.

He has been vocal about (in my eyes) backwards mental health views (people don't need medication they need manly exercise) and also his views on COVID are a bit grim however I suspect it's actually quite a common view in America. He does play heavily on the 'I'm just a dumb guy' line I feel a bit too much to get away with.

That said, I do sort of agree with him that it's his show and he can have anyone he wants on. Used to listen to a lot, all except the MMA ones but since the move to Spotify I've not bothered.

An tSaoi

He's a meatheat dudebro who thinks he's smart because he reads wikipedia, skims a few books and watches a few videos (like most of us to be fair). I don't think we need to ascribe any more depth to him.

MoreauVasz

Why ascribe depth at all? How deep were Wogan or Parky? How deep was Letterman? He does interviews and he's either good at it or not.

After that, you can have a conversation about who gets booked on his show and maybe ask why you're watching a dude who lends his platform to right-wing pricks. But I don't think his intelligence is really that important.

Kankurette

Whoever it was that mentioned Ann Reardon, thank you. I love watching her debunking videos.

The Ombudsman

Quote from: Kankurette on March 25, 2021, 03:08:44 PM
Whoever it was that mentioned Ann Reardon, thank you. I love watching her debunking videos.

Her cakes are pretty awesome too.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: MoreauVasz on March 25, 2021, 08:39:05 AM
...She does.

Imbecile.

Quote from: MoreauVasz on March 25, 2021, 01:19:54 PM
Why ascribe depth at all? How deep were Wogan or Parky? How deep was Letterman? He does interviews and he's either good at it or not.
"LINDSEY ELLIS IS A VAPID DUMBASS WHO WATCHES DISNEY"

"INTERVIEWS ARE HARMLESS FLUFF WHO CARES ABOUT DEPTH"

Quote from: Kankurette on March 25, 2021, 03:08:44 PM
You're welcome!