Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:57:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoplifters Of The World

Started by Mobius, March 24, 2021, 10:15:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mobius

So this is a movie about the time when some Yank held a radio station hostage and forced them to play The Smiths

In the Summer of 1987, four friends, reeling from the sudden break-up of the iconic British band The Smiths, embark on a night out of partying to mourn their musical loss. At the same time, an impassioned Smiths fan takes a local radio DJ hostage at gunpoint and forces him to play nothing but Smiths tracks. With the radio station playing as the soundtrack to their night, the friends go on a wild journey of self-discovery that will transform them forever.

Except apparently that's not true, and what really happened is the bloke didn't make it past the car park before bottling it and handing himself in. So it's a load of bollocks.

Sounds shit and early reviews attest to that. Seems like a weird time to pay tribute to Morrissey.

Vot is point?

Neomod

When I saw Thomas Lennon's name I thought he'd written it as he's a massive Smith's fan but apparently not.

I like films set in one night a la Suburbia but this does look bobbins.

Mobius

Yeah I only heard about this because he was on Comedy Bang Bang this week and mentioned it, but yeah he's just acting in it. It appears the guy who made the film hasn't made a film before but does music documentaries.

jobotic

I wish I'd been on a wild journey of self-discovery that transformed me for ever.

bgmnts

Icehaven

Quote from: Mobius on March 24, 2021, 10:15:45 PM
In the Summer of 1987, four friends, reeling from the sudden break-up of the iconic British band The Smiths, embark on a night out of partying to mourn their musical loss.

The very idea that a group of Smiths fans would get together and go out partying in order to mourn the band splitting up could only have been suggested by someone who has never actually met a Smiths fan or possibly ever heard a Smiths song.

sevendaughters

trailer looks absolute shite
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MfG80SID6I

synopsis is just Airheads for bedwetters

Mobius

Quote from: sevendaughters on March 25, 2021, 07:19:32 PM
trailer looks absolute shite
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MfG80SID6I

I know most trailers do this nowadays, my god that trailer was just the entire movie including the ending

BlodwynPig

Wasn't this an episode of Beige Mirror?

greenman

Wasnt this originally Demons 2?

Blue Jam

Isn't this basically Airheads but with an even flimsier motive for hijacking a radio broadcast?

EDIT:

Quote from: sevendaughters on March 25, 2021, 07:19:32 PM

Actually this sounds more like it, yes.

BlodwynPig

BlodwynPig

Waiting for Syd Barrett biopic. So far all the obvious ones have been done, artists for the Q reading salary men (Queen, Bowie, John, The Smiths, Sex Pistols), bands I either hate or don't much care for...but a Barrett one would be obvious, non?

Mr Trumpet

It's funny how they still like Morrissey in America

Neomod

Quote from: BlodwynPig on March 26, 2021, 08:35:33 AM
Waiting for Syd Barrett biopic. So far all the obvious ones have been done, artists for the Q reading salary men (Queen, Bowie, John, The Smiths, Sex Pistols), bands I either hate or don't much care for...but a Barrett one would be obvious, non?

Bit niche. We're talking indie/student short.

I'm waiting for 'Finding the Last Piece: The JIGSAW Story.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Mr Trumpet on March 26, 2021, 09:12:40 AM
It's funny how they still like Morrissey in America

There's a bit in the recent film Nomadland where a woman with Morrissey tattoos all over her recites some of his lyrics. He's absolutely adored in the Hispanic community in particular (see also Ant-Man). It's odd because neither he nor the Smiths had any top 40 singles in the US, but he's still incredibly well known. Bumblebee is another film that had a lot of Smiths stuff in it.

I love The Smiths but this seems like a really thin premise for a film.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on March 26, 2021, 10:52:32 AMIt's odd because neither he nor the Smiths had any top 40 singles in the US, but he's still incredibly well known.
Still, I bet that lack of a top 40 single in the States really fucks him off, given the likes of the Cure, Depeche Mode and even New Order managed it. They've all had Platinum selling albums over there too, something he also hasn't managed - and judging by his autobiography, he does seem someone who believes anything he releases should shift a million.

Blue Jam

I would quite like to read that autobiography just to see how Accidental Partridge it is. Is it worth a read if you're someone who never really gave a fuck about The Smiths or Morrissey?

holyzombiejesus

I wouldn't say so. I don't remember finding it funny or amusing in any way, not enough in a laughable Partridge-esque way. Just quite boring and monotonous.

Blue Jam

Ah right, cheers. No way am I giving my money to that bell so you've saved me the job of scouring the chazzas once they reopen.

The Culture Bunker

I'd be inclined to agree. The early chapters are perhaps kind of interesting - I hadn't known he was childhood friends with Simon Topping (later of A Certain Ratio), for example. But, as I remember it, the Smiths years fly by quickly and it becomes a tedious list of dates on tours with a huge section devoted to the court case and how he was so very wronged. The latter chapters are more of a "why am I not selling more records?" style whinging.

sevendaughters

The existence of AA Gill's review of his autobiography justifies the terrible book: http://www.theomnivore.com/a-a-gill-on-autobiography-by-morrissey-the-sunday-times/

Mozza's novel is bobbins too.

dissolute ocelot

Based on England Made Me, which is fascinating when focusing on the artist Linder Sterling (Moz's cool mate) but pedestrian when it comes to baby Morrissey, we definitely do not need another Smiths film. Unless it's not about Morrissey. So actually...?

BritishHobo

The only thing the premise makes me think is why I would care about the life-affirming night a bunch of sad teens are having, while a bloke is being held at gunpoint?

Gulftastic

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on March 26, 2021, 10:52:32 AM
There's a bit in the recent film Nomadland where a woman with Morrissey tattoos all over her recites some of his lyrics. He's absolutely adored in the Hispanic community in particular (see also Ant-Man). It's odd because neither he nor the Smiths had any top 40 singles in the US, but he's still incredibly well known. Bumblebee is another film that had a lot of Smiths stuff in it.

I love The Smiths but this seems like a really thin premise for a film.

Aye, one of the Hispanic inmates in Orange In The New Black was obsessed with him. And she was a young woman.

Shoulders?-Stomach!