Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,182
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 04:37:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

[GEAR] Bluetooth headphone recommendations

Started by Tikwid, March 24, 2021, 11:55:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tikwid

Didn't want to bump Neomod's own headphone thread, mainly because I've already used the advice in it to get some new headphones for audio production purposes - the Sony MDR-7506s, and they sound fab (so thanks for the indirect recommendation Captain Z!).  They're staying in the studio room with the rest of my music equipment though, and I want to get a second pair for more versatile applications - listening to music, gaming (including VR), exercise, travel, other rooms in the house, etc.

Specific requirements in no particular order:

• Wireless via Bluetooth - but an optional wired connection (standard 3.5 mm jack) would be useful too
  • Should charge via Micro USB instead of batteries
  • Ideally over-ear - would prefer not to have on-ear, and definitely not in-ear/buds or anything like that
  • Some degree of noise cancelling would be useful, enough that I won't get irritated looks on the train
  • Doesn't have to be a flat audio profile - I do enjoy crispy treble details but I can handle a bit of extra B A S S too
  • Reasonably durable (I've had a high headphone turnover this past decade - although being wireless would probably ameliorate that to begin with, since there's been a lot of cables-getting-snagged-on-things disasters)
  • Ideally under £100 - might be prepared to spend a little more, but not too much
Any recs that fit those criteriases? lay 'em on me...

lankyguy95

I've been using Audio Technica ATH-M50Xs for over a year. All round very good. Slightly more emphasised bass sound but it's not really a problem for me. Over the ear, and a good long charge (something like 40 hours, I think).

Ferris

I have a pair of Sony CH700Ns and they're great. The charge lasts for weeks even when I forget and leave them connected, they're robust, noise canceling is good, and it fits all of yer criteria (has a 3.5mm cable option, charges directly via mini USB, noise canceling, Bluetooth, over ear, durable - they survived regular commutes for years including flights and being shoved in laptop bags etc).

They're not audiophile quality but I think they sound great tbh. There's an app you can use to tweak the output if you want (I think I boosted the bass on mine because it was a bit wimpy before). They're also comfortable, I wear mine for long periods of time and it's fine.

I paid ~£150 for mine 2 or 3 years ago and they've had heavy use since then with no issues. A quick google says you can buy a pair for 60 quid these days, which seems like a steal to me (but I would say that wouldn't I, because I paid more for them like a twat).

Worth a look anyway.

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: lankyguy95 on March 25, 2021, 12:41:20 AM
I've been using Audio Technica ATH-M50Xs for over a year. All round very good. Slightly more emphasised bass sound but it's not really a problem for me. Over the ear, and a good long charge (something like 40 hours, I think).

My brother and I have been using these for about as long, too. Wholly recommended, meet all of your criteria except they are closer to 140 than an even hunnert. Ferris' sound like a good option too.

Non Stop Dancer

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/headband-headphones/wh-1000xm4

I have the mk3 version of these and they're absolutely outstanding. Check out some reviews, most people say they're the best option in that price range.

DrGreggles

Tikwid

Decided to go with FerriswheelBueller's rec for the Sony CH700Ns in the end, they have what I'm looking for and I was able to get them in my price range. Thanks for the suggestions!

Ferris

Will make sure to email Sony for my commission.

Enjoy your terrible headphones, sucker!![nb]not really, they actually are very good. Let me know how you get on with them[/nb]

Ferris

Quote from: Tikwid on March 25, 2021, 08:56:07 PM
Decided to go with FerriswheelBueller's rec for the Sony CH700Ns in the end, they have what I'm looking for and I was able to get them in my price range. Thanks for the suggestions!

How you get on with them?

Tikwid

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on May 10, 2021, 09:26:20 PM
How you get on with them?
Absolute fucking dogshit never recommend me anything ever EVER AGAIN they're working a treat! Took a bit of finagling to get the Bluetooth working but the sound quality's great for the price, and I appreciate just how many buttons it manages to fit in on the rims for volume, play/fast forward etc. Haven't tried that EQ app yet, although I think my computer's audio drivers came with one of those bloatware audio enhancer apps so maybe I'll try it with that. Thanks again for the decisive rec!

Ferris

Great, I'll get onto Sony for my commission.

(I'm listening to mine now actually, this lovely bit of work which I'll recommend until my voice gives out. If you can listen to the last track and not be surprised and laugh and enjoy it, you're probably a robot.)