Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 02:29:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

More accusations against Mark Kozelek

Started by PeasOnSticks, March 25, 2021, 02:36:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Crumb

Isn't this cunt's whole shtick oversharing for 15 minutes about how his dick don't work as good as it used to and talking about women in a creepy way? Don't really see how yoy separate the art from the artist in this case.

Cuellar

To be fair it didn't used to be. In the past there were 5 minute songs with actual melodies about the women he'd humped abused.

VelourSpirit

Quote from: The Crumb on April 27, 2021, 05:44:11 PM
Isn't this cunt's whole shtick oversharing for 15 minutes about how his dick don't work as good as it used to and talking about women in a creepy way? Don't really see how yoy separate the art from the artist in this case.
Loved Red House Painters but couldn't get into his Sun Kil Moon stuff for this reason. I think the one I listened to was "Dogs" and it was just him listing women he's had sex with and acting all sad about it. I got the sense he got a thrill out of making people imagine him doing that stuff, kind of exhibitionist shit.
My one other experience with his solo stuff was finding a recent song where he talked about kissing Rachel Goswell of Slowdive/Mojave 3 twenty years ago, but he uses the "but I'm sad about it and I'm so self deprecating :(((" angle again presumably so it doesn't seem like bragging. He didn't ask her if he could name her or anything. https://www.stereogum.com/1874561/qa-minor-victories-rachel-goswell-on-hearing-loss-mark-kozelek-and-the-future-of-slowdive/interviews/
Creepy prick, don't feel the need to listen to RHP again. I assume I'd just be hearing creepy stuff in the lyrics where I never noticed it before. Just thinking of Have You Forgotten, a song that would make me cry years ago, the opening line "I can't let you be, 'cos your beauty won't allow me" is suspect enough.

The Mollusk

Quote from: The Crumb on April 27, 2021, 05:44:11 PM

But he's a tortured heart-on-sleeve weirdo genius like Louis CK, he puts it all out there for people to see, so that makes his legacy of abuse absolutely fine!

Waking Life

Where does it leave his Modest Mouse 'covers' album? (which to be fair, he made his own, forbetter orworse).

There are a lot of artists I find very morally dubious (fuck you Miles Davis), yet I still listen to. The standards of 'their time' shouldn't change that. In this case, the crimes are more hideous than most and the mental separation is harder given his songs are largely heart-on-sleeve 'confessionals'. I will probably try to give the first s/t a listen again at some point to assess my reaction - that's obviously not any vindication of the man, but I can understand why others can't.

Kankurette

I listen to Lostprophets. Doesn't make me a nonce or a nonce apologist. I just compartmentalise.