Author Topic: black midi - Cavalcade (May 2021)  (Read 705 times)

The Mollusk

• A number of deceased arachnids... and beans
black midi - Cavalcade (May 2021)
« on: March 25, 2021, 05:47:08 PM »
The alternative/angular/abstract "they're HOW fucking young?!" wunderkids are back with a new album this spring and hooooooo I'm excited.

Here's the first single and accompanying video for John L, directed by Nina McNeely whose acclaimed choreography work includes Gaspar Noe's recent film "Climax". The tune's fucking great. I wasn't too sure of it at first but it builds and expands to great effect and I was quite enraptured by the whole thing by the end of it. Once again the band have managed to create something bold and dynamic with a wide range of influence. I'm hearing a lot of stuff in here - post-punk vibes of Protomartyr, Talking Heads, fused with mind-bending jazz-prog styles of stuff like King Crimson or even Sleepytime Gorilla Museum. They're really quite tremendous as a live act too and I can imagine this tune will absolutely spank once they can take to the stage again.

Sadly their guitarist Matt Kwasniewski-Kelvin doesn't feature on the album as he's on indefinite leave due to mental health. They've recruited a sax player (who features heavily on the above track) and keyboardist for this one.

I'd been revisiting "Schlagenheim" last week before knowing this new album was due out, as I was concerned it might have been a flash in the pan and not as cohesive and brilliant as I'd felt it was back in 2019 (bad short term memory and issues with getting over-excited about things means that I do this a lot), but nope, it's still fucking excellent.

Re: black midi - Cavalcade (May 2021)
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2021, 06:48:16 PM »
this is my favourite thing that I've heard of theirs for sure and it doesn't remind me closely of anything as their earlier stuff did, which is great. yeah it could play simultaneously with late Dischord and 70s prog-fusion, but it isn't either of those things.

i'm still not a huge fan of the oblique lyric/vocal style; fine, not everyone wants to be sincere or obviously intelligent, but it distances me a little bit. will give the album a bash though.

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2021, 02:26:23 PM »
I love this. Very King Crimson ish. Did he always have a northern irish accent?

Dirty Boy

• Unplug Katie crush the orange
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2021, 06:10:38 PM »
Like everything this lot come out with, can't wait for the album. Dunno about King Crimson, but getting strong Pere Ubu vibes from the new stuff.

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2021, 06:28:18 PM »
They can't put a foot wrong, this lot. Amazing track - I've listened to it loads of times already.

danwho9

• It's your regiooon!
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2021, 05:18:37 PM »
Definitely looking forward. I take it we like them on here more than BC,NR?

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2021, 05:30:33 PM »
Sadly their guitarist Matt Kwasniewski-Kelvin doesn't feature on the album as he's on indefinite leave due to mental health.

Is this him?

https://twitter.com/stuartdredge/status/1174773864183861248?s=19

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2021, 05:31:14 PM »
Definitely looking forward. I take it we like them on here more than BC,NR?

I think different people have different opinions.

Angrew Lloyg Wegger

• cast your dance and spill my wee
  • Golden Member
  • I promise to go under it
    • instagram ponce
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2021, 07:55:19 PM »
This I’ve extremely my thing, can’t wait for the album

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2021, 05:54:46 PM »
Fucking hell, just listening to the debut for the first time. Bananas and brilliant, love it.

PlanktonSideburns

• let me play for you the song of my people
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2021, 06:02:45 PM »
glad theyve got a sax rather than a boring old guitar

any zu fans in?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcZlKwbvgCE

The Mollusk

• A number of deceased arachnids... and beans
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2021, 07:51:29 PM »
glad theyve got a sax rather than a boring old guitar

any zu fans in?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcZlKwbvgCE

Of course! Saw them play the Lexington a couple years ago for the anniversary of “Carboniferous”, was absolutely fuckin immense. Stood so close to the band that the bassist kept nearly twatting me in the head with the top of his guitar.

Tags: