Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 04:26:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

RIP Jessica Walter

Started by Stoneage Dinosaurs, March 25, 2021, 06:46:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Only really know her from Archer and Arrested Development but this is a big loss. Fantastic comic actor, Lucille Bluth is one of the bet comedy characters of all time.

https://deadline.com/2021/03/jessica-walter-dead-actress-arrested-development-1234721873

Harry Badger

Quote from: Angrew Lloyg Wegger on March 25, 2021, 06:46:31 PM
Only really know her from Archer and Arrested Development but this is a big loss. Fantastic comic actor, Lucille Bluth is one of the bet comedy characters of all time.

https://deadline.com/2021/03/jessica-walter-dead-actress-arrested-development-1234721873/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

She was absolutely terrifying in Play Misty For Me, a film that perhaps hasn't aged that well.

imitationleather

Ah this is a bloody shame. Absolutely fantastic in Arrested Development.

Ja'moke

Very sad loss.

Lucille Bluth is one of the best comedy characters ever, and in large part thanks to Jessica Walter's performance.

lankyguy95

You sonofabitch. I hate this doctor.

RIP

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

"Well, this is why people hate hospitals."

Sad news indeed. Lucille Bluth is one of the great sitcom characters.

First Cloris Leachman goes and now Jessica Walter. Betty White must be bricking it.

Mobius

Custard

She was so great. RIP you wonderfully talented, funny lady

Egyptian Feast

I keep forgetting she was in Play Misty For Me. I haven't seen it since it was on Moviedrome or something like it and didn't know who she was when I first watched Arrested Development. I've only found out she was the mum in Dinosaurs too.

Lucille Bluth is one of the greatest sitcom matriarchs (possibly only pipped for me by Jessica Tate from Soap), but Mallory Archer will always be my favourite character of hers. Poor Sterling will be even more messed up now she's gone.

selectivememory

Ah damn. Don't think I've seen her in anything outside of Arrested Development, but what a role and performance that was.

Zetetic

I think Arrested Development would have been so much weaker without her - her performance was by far the most consistently balanced between being natural and mannerism-free, and selling jokes as strongly as they needed to be. I think she helped it seem just a little bit more grounded, and not tipping into something feeling more irritatingly broad.

The Mollusk

Fuck. Having a rewatch of the first two seasons of AD at the moment, so very recently been reminded of how stupendously funny she was. Very sad.

Povidone

Im another that's only really familiar with her as Lucille Bluth but she was clearly an extremely talented comic actress and one of the best things about that show. Sad to hear of her passing.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: Harry Badger on March 25, 2021, 06:47:55 PM
She was absolutely terrifying in Play Misty For Me, a film that perhaps hasn't aged that well.

Fuck my hat, I never realised until now that it's the young Lucille Bluth in Play Misty For Me.

Jumblegraws

Love Lucille and Malory, but shout-out to her role in the show that was an important gateway into comedy for child me:

Quote from: Jumblegraws on March 25, 2021, 08:20:51 PM
Love Lucille and Malory, but shout-out to her role in the show that was an important gateway into comedy for child me:

No way, never knew that was her!

Such sad news. She was the MVP in what was probably the best ensemble cast of all time (imho)

"I'd rather be dead in California than alive in Arizona" RIP.

Ignatius_S

Sad news - a really great actor.

If you are going to watch 'just one more thing' with Walter in it, why not make it Columbo: Murder Over Mayhem?

phantom_power

She was great in Archer as well

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Harry Badger on March 25, 2021, 06:47:55 PM

According to one Eastwood biography I read, the ending was changed. Originally, Eastwood's character after some soul-searching, concludes that though Walker's was unstable, his treatment of her affected her actions and as such he bears some responsibility - but they opted to ditch that and go with 'bitch is crazy' outlook.

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: Ignatius_S on March 25, 2021, 08:33:39 PM
Sad news - a really great actor.

If you are going to watch 'just one more thing' with Walter in it, why not make it Columbo: Murder Over Mayhem?

Nice, is she a celebrity guest murderer? I'm watching the complete Columbo for the first time ('Dagger of the Mind' is the next one, so you know where I'm at). Just the thought of her going head to head with Falk is exciting, so I might have to skip ahead this once.

I found this quote about Clint Eastwood amusing.

Mr Trumpet

I've heard Arrested Development described as a sitcom in which every character would be the breakout character in a different show. But Lucille 1 was always my favourite. Wonderful performance, and a very well-written part as well.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Egyptian Feast on March 25, 2021, 08:53:23 PM
Nice, is she a celebrity guest murderer? I'm watching the complete Columbo for the first time ('Dagger of the Mind' is the next one, so you know where I'm at). Just the thought of her going head to head with Falk is exciting, so I might have to skip ahead this once.

I found this quote about Clint Eastwood amusing.

You've a few to go! (Next season.) She isn't the murderer (that would have been great!) but it's an important role and she really is good (natch).

That's a lovely quote!

IsavedLatin

I learnt this terribly sad news on a mindless scroll through Instagram, with Tony Hale's simple but quite moving post about her death. She gave a dynamite performance throughout AD but their relationship really was something special and, well, hearing about it from him brought something to my eye.

Blinder Data

she was SO good as Lucille Bluth. Pitched it just right, not nearly as BIG a performance as everyone else.

RIP

up_the_hampipe

H-O-W-L

Quote from: Jumblegraws on March 25, 2021, 08:20:51 PM

Hat fucked.

zomgmouse

Also had a good role in the 1972 TV Christmas horror film Home for the Holidays alongside Walter Brennan and a young Sally Field

Jumblegraws

Quote from: zomgmouse on March 25, 2021, 11:09:39 PM
Also had a good role in the 1972 TV Christmas horror film Home for the Holidays alongside Walter Brennan and a young Sally Field
Cheers for the heads-up