Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:18:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

av u tried 2 play Atari Star Wars arcade on a fucken emulator?

Started by Goldentony, March 25, 2021, 10:47:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goldentony

In the spirit of starting new threads, I want to ask this - have any of you had a bash at figuring out how to play the Atari Star Wars game for arcades? you know the one you sit in, this -

If you look close, the fucking controls are a steering bastard wheel for an X-Wing or whatever you call it, is there a way round this when emulating other than buying a WILDCATZ TURBO WHEEL or something? Every attempt on the pads ive got - fucked

also, what a game this is! tell me about your EXPERIENCES OF IT there was an arcade on a holiday camp I went to with my family and they had this and the Empire Strikes Back pinball so in between penny nudgers, 2p droppers and Wonderboy on a look you'd hear explosions from this and HELP ME OBI WAN KENOBI YOU'RE MY ONLY HOPE

also one of those games I was shit as a kid at but then improved like 'MAD DOG MCREE'

Rizla

I've played this on an emulator just using the mouse to steer and fire. Probably easier than in the original, in fact.

They used to have a sit-in one at Edinburgh airport, back in the day. It wasn't originally designed as Star Wars, was it? They rebadged it, you fool. Still, it was a better game than the Empire Strikes Back one, IIRC. Return of the Jedi one was bobbins, like a Zaxxon clone or sutin.

Goldentony

oh fuck me a MOUSE? that'll be where im going wrong, im trying this on a PS2 thing like a hard case!

Rizla

Have you ever played the SNES Star Wars scrolling platformer? What a swizz. I can still hear them fucking Jawas in me earhole. "OOteeeneee!"

peanutbutter

I'd love to play this on an actual machine, multi colour early 80s vector graphics, right? Is there anywhere in the UK with a good one?

Goldentony

Quote from: Rizla on March 25, 2021, 10:57:48 PM
Have you ever played the SNES Star Wars scrolling platformer? What a swizz. I can still hear them fucking Jawas in me earhole. "OOteeeneee!"

aye my mate had one of these and Darth Vader's weird "imPRESSEEEEVE" voice stuck with us til now, think it was this one anyway

QuoteI'd love to play this on an actual machine, multi colour early 80s vector graphics, right? Is there anywhere in the UK with a good one?

aye all that good shit, been looking for one myself so if anybody knows LMK and we can forklift it off

Pranet

This was actually ok on the Spectrum, the Spectrum was ok at wireframe graphics. Except it was silent, so it ran at an ok speed. But the arcade machine was something else. Very exciting.

Goldentony

Quote from: Pranet on March 25, 2021, 11:05:01 PM
This was actually ok on the Spectrum, the Spectrum was ok at wireframe graphics. Except it was silent, so it ran at an ok speed.

this looks great

St_Eddie

Sadly, like all vector graphic games, this isn't a title which will ever be properly emulated.  You just can't correctly emulate those lovely illuminous vector lines on a standard monitor/TV.  As for controls, as suggested above; the mouse works well enough (though a completely different experience to the original arcade cabinet, obviously).

Chedney Honks

Quote from: peanutbutter on March 25, 2021, 10:57:52 PM
I'd love to play this on an actual machine, multi colour early 80s vector graphics, right? Is there anywhere in the UK with a good one?

Arcade Club in Bury has this exact sit-down cab. There's also a Leeds venue but I've not been.

Goldentony

cant wait to head to bury for this, quid in, bosh, fucked immediately, continue? N

Chedney Honks

Even better, everything is on Free Play so you can get an Irn-Bru instead.

RetroRobot

Quote from: peanutbutter on March 25, 2021, 10:57:52 PM

Arcade Club in Leeds had it, not sure if it's still there mind as I've not been since well before lockdown

My friend got the speccy version for his birthday when we were little and we were all taking turns playing it.
When it came to my go, because I am The Man, I completed it first try and we were all celebrating and his mam was getting really arsey.

I think she thought that once a game was completed, that was it, you had to throw it in the bin or something.
My friend was going "it's alright, I like watching, it's fun"
and she was going "I can't believe it, you've just gotten it, it's your birthday and he's finished it"

I was like "chill, bitch" (in my head).

Same thing happened with super mario bros 2 when I slept at another friends house, come to think of it.
His mam starting to fret "Erm, he's getting dangerously close to the end here! Best wrap this up now!"

Sonny_Jim

You can buy a 'repro' cabinet, which is essentially just an emulator in a nice cab.  It's kinda sitdown but not quite full environmental:

https://www.coinopking.co.uk/arcade-machines/starwars-1up

800 quid though, it ain't cheap.

madhair60

Quote from: St_Eddie on March 26, 2021, 01:59:09 AM
Sadly, like all vector graphic games, this isn't a title which will ever be properly emulated.  You just can't correctly emulate those lovely illuminous vector lines on a standard monitor/TV.  As for controls, as suggested above; the mouse works well enough (though a completely different experience to the original arcade cabinet, obviously).

This is 1000000% true. I had no idea until I got a go on Asteroids at a barcade in Brooklyn a good few years ago. Gorgeous phosphorescent glow.

The relatively recent Atari Vault compilation actually had a go at improving this situation by letting you turn on a bright glow around the vector lines, but it still wasn't the same.

Goldentony

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on March 26, 2021, 12:37:13 PM
You can buy a 'repro' cabinet, which is essentially just an emulator in a nice cab.  It's kinda sitdown but not quite full environmental:

https://www.coinopking.co.uk/arcade-machines/starwars-1up

800 quid though, it ain't cheap.

that is gorgeous but you also need the roof, gotta have the roof, wonder how much they want for roof, put it on the work expenses

Chedney Honks

Arcade Club also has Asteroids and some other vector shit, can't remember what. Probably something to do with space. Lovely beaming gleaming glow.

peanutbutter

Quote from: St_Eddie on March 26, 2021, 01:59:09 AM

Would OLED with some kind of filter not get pretty close?

Sonny_Jim

Vector displays are straight lines (or curves), it's just the electron beam being steered about in one continuous motion.  Anything that's raster (ie built out of pixels line by line) gets 'jaggies' or aliasing artifacts.  But TBH you'd have to be a massive nerd to notice the difference.