Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:30:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Monster Hunter Rise

Started by Chedney Honks, March 26, 2021, 09:38:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chedney Honks

New MH game on the Switch. Eurogamer say best Switch game since BOTW.

"I didn't like the demo, I dunno, it didn't really work for me...I don't get it...Why are people wasting their life on this game when they should play the game I like? Monster Hunter has been shit since one of the older games, this is watered down, it's just lost the magic, it's not the game I played twenty years ago."

Feel free to skip all that rhetoric.

Jerzy Bondov

I dunno I watched the trailer and it looked shit. Maybe I'll try the demo. Best Switch game since BOTW is Mario 3D World.

Chedney Honks

No you're mistaken, it's a game I like.

brat-sampson

People Loooooove Monster Hunter. I did try World, but never got that far... Plus I had the impression in the past that the 'best bits' are the multiplayer, which I never tried due to having no friends who play it.

I'm sure it's brilliant, but equally sure I'll never buy it.

Chedney Honks

It's not one which needs voice chat at all, or even mates to play with. It'll be rammed with randos and Japans for years.

SP is usually absolutely fine, good enough (dunno how it even works in the new one) but it's all about MP, yep. I've never played with anyone I know and they've been my best times with the games. I only really got into it with MH4G on the 3DS and then the same game was released on the Switch with a bit of polish, as MHGU. World was very good, obviously did very well, but I lost interest. Was a bit too streamlined for me so it didn't 'feel earned' in the same way. Never played the Iceborne expansion.

This seems to be a halfway house between MHGU and World. Not actually read any reviews and not played the demo for more than thirty seconds. It's sitting on my Switch waiting to get played for an hour tonight before I watch three movies.

petercussing

I wanna play this lots. I didn't get the first one as you couldn't try to be friends with the monsters, and i know that you can't in this, but my cognative dissonance around this has subsided and i'll just close my eyes after i kill a monster and pretend that we were just mucking about and that's a joke we do where i fake beat them to death. Then i imagine me climbing on it's back and us riding off to the pub or the cinema as i harvest it's organs and bones in real life.

I was shocked when peeps were saying this is the goodest game on switch console since zebla byob, i literally said out loud "what/!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" which was obviously uncomfortably loud. It must be all good and stuff. I'm gonna get it when shops reopen and i can trade in some games again, as i've got pikmin 3 and resi 3 remake (which was boring/too tedious to waste my finite life playing) to flog so i don't have to spend big moneys.

Bazooka

Monster Hunter is a series for me that has got less exciting with each interation. Having played it since the PSP days, new weapons, needless multiple hubs and systems can't quite capture the magic of yesteryear. That is not a criticism of the game's quality, but after a decade plus of grinding, I'm just so so about it all now.

Chedney Honks

Quote from: petercussing on March 26, 2021, 01:40:21 PMThen i imagine me climbing on it's back and us riding off to the pub or the cinema as i harvest it's organs and bones in real life..

You will forget all about this stuff when you're wearing a hat made out of its spien

Quote from: petercussing on March 26, 2021, 01:40:21 PMI'm gonna get it when shops reopen and i can trade in some games again, as i've got pikmin 3 and resi 3 remake (which was boring/too tedious to waste my finite life playing) to flog so i don't have to spend big moneys.

It's worth selling your games on ebay. Switch games seem to hold their value really well, to the extent that you can buy Luigi's Mansion 3 for £37 on Amazon and yet I sold my copy for £30 on ebay last week, I got the same prices for Mario Odyssey and Links Awakening as well.

Always worth buying physical copies of the games for this reason and so you don't get mugged off by whatever price CEX offer you, ebay have also started doing this thing (they might have done it for ages but it's new to me) where you just have to pay 85p and print off a shipping label and they come and pick up the parcel, saves you queuing for ages in the post office.

petercussing

I would do but when i trade a game in i do need to be able to go right up to a shop assistant and grab them by the hand and forearm, pull them towards my face so i can look them square in the eyes and say, "Can i trust you?", firmly, but not too loudly.

Depending on how they answer, even on how they say yes, i either trade it in for what ever price they say or i turn round and march out and go off and bide my time until going in again, hoping for either a different clerk or a change in attitude.

I don't always get the best price, but i don't mind as i trust them so much.

Quote from: Chedney Honks on March 26, 2021, 02:27:12 PM
You will forget all about this stuff when you're wearing a hat made out of its spien

That does sound nice. I can at least pretend to be wearing it to the pub with it, that'd set an antagonistic tone for drinks though, me essentially wearing a hat made of it threateningly right at it, you definitely wonder why i'd invited you.

The only thing that puts me off this game slightly is that i heard some of these monster aren't actually real monsters :(
That's why i play these video games, cos i know the monster are genuinely real monsters that have been made up.

Kelvin

I loved Tri on Wii, even though I never felt I was really playing it right. Managed to beat the main game, but I never really worked out half the mechanics or spent hours grinding.

Played the demo for this one, and just found the buttons, the controls, everything, just a bit much really. Probably just wasn't in the right headspace, coupled with not wanting to invest too much time into a demo. Remember thinking "Chedders will be all over this", though. Largely because it's alienating to mainstream audiences. Do any of the monsters have massive boobs? If so, it'll be his game of the year ;)

Chedney Honks

There is one monster with a massive pair of tits, yep. I always play hammer and if you carve off the tits, varnish them and bake them in the oven, you can make a hammer in this that's a big pair of swinging conkers.

Monster Hunter is the perfect kind of game, to me. The tutorial stuff is impossible to understand, and most of the systems are impenetrable, and so if you enjoy games and want to pay fifty quid and just enjoy something, you can't. And you spend an hour reading the controls until you get it and you're dead excited to go and carve up some monsters and you go through the cheerful preamble with someone in the village and she's like here you go, buddy. Here's your first big quest.

Gather ten mushrooms.

FF7R PS5 texture patch will be my GOTY but hopefully this will be up there. Not started it yet because the start will be so boring I can't be bothered.

Chedney Honks

Skipped the intro quest guff and went straight into MP and this game is total carnage. You can ride a dog in this and you still have your little cat companion of course and of course they also join the frigging fight and so if you're playing with three other people, with their animal pals, it is of course total bedlam. Took down some massive bird thing that has an armour plated web round its neck that pops out like the little monster in Jurassic Park that sprayed Newman with poison and ate him.

Turned its fucking neck into shin pads

Chedney Honks

OK, this game is great. It's simply more Monster Hunter but with a shitload of QoL improvements and much more of the quirky character of the older games than World. Riding round on the dog is a game changer. The zip wire is a game changer. It's much much snappier doing all the non-combat stuff and then the actual monster fighting feels as good as ever.

That's the beauty of these games, to be honest. The fighting never gets old. The monsters have got such personality and character. It really feels good when they're on the floor absolutely knackered and you're banging banging banging on their head with a massive hammer saying "should have thought about that before you became a monster."

petercussing

SOLD! This sounds great fun, i want to destroy all monsters now, not be friends with them. Beware the beast, man, for he hunts for sport or lust or greed, or all of the above in my case, cos i'll have a kickabout with their necks, have sex with the necks and eat all their necks.

I'm envisioning combat in this to be all Astral chain-esque and i as wrong as a fucking idiot?

Even though i want kill monster are we sure you can't make friends after you beat them up cos this is Japanese, and i know, for example, Griffith was friends with Guts cos he beat him right up with a sword and vice versa later on. How can we really know? Have you pressed all the buttons and button combinations?

Chedney Honks

I have only pressed one button so far: HAMMER. It's very possible therefore that there is a befriend button. This is a terrible coincidence and shows me up for what I am but my dog in this is called Guts and the cat is called Griffith. For a moment, I wondered if you were watching through the window until I realised I'd pulled down the blackout blind. Must X-ray scope.

It's much more like Dark Souls combat in fact, but without lock on. It's very much press the button (hammer) and the animation is playing no matter what. It is something to get used to, and depending on where you hit the monster (and it's very precise) and where exactly you catch them with your weapon (and it's very precise), it really makes a lot difference to the damage. That's kind of the fun of it. It's not easy to make a good connection most of the time. You scuff a hit, you bounce one off the clanging shell, you totally miss a lot, but when the stars align and your massive swing collides with the poor fella at just the right moment and angle of impact, it feels fantastic.

Chedney Honks

This could easily be the best MH ever.

I already can't imagine going back to any of the older games without the new traversal and combat options. Pure QoL polish. Absolutely nothing is in the way of hunting monsters as much as possible.

DocDaneeka

Only 32 quid delivered at currys get the checkout and add the code FNDDGAME.

Decided to go for it as I enjoyed the Wii version and I can probably sell it on for £30 if I don't.

petercussing

Thank you for highlighting this wonderful opportunity, young man, i bought this, as that's a very good deal

Chedney Honks

Only very slightly surprised by the fact nobody else seems to be playing this but no joke, this is a fucking brilliant game and the game that has got me gaming again.

The most accessible and filler-free MH game ever from a mechanical perspective, but also loads and loads of game. I'm just bashing around in MP mixing up my weapons and trying different stuff out with randos and Japans. There's a load more stuff I could do to grind and train my buddies and do mercenary stuff and single player missions and whatever but in just joining rando quests, getting straight into the action, doing my bit for the guys, and carving up monsters into shinnies and funny hats.

It's probably a top ten Switch game, and easily top 5 exclusive.

I've always been intrigued by Monster Hunter but from reading a couple of reviews and from the posts in this thread I can't really work out what you actually do in it. Is it as literal as the name? Is all the fun in how you track down and kill a bunch of monsters? Is there a story involved or is it all about grinding and upgrading gear?

The multi-player side of it sounds a bit like Phantasy Star Online, which I used to love on the Dreamcast but ultimately found quite hollow after a while, endless fights trying to get enough XP, parts and currency to be able to get the best weapons and armour.

Chedney Honks

It's literally all about the moment-to-moment gameplay and the experience of fighting (and perhaps mastering) these marvellously animated, expressive, varied monsters. The hook is not in levelling up, because you don't gain any XP besides your own knowledge, but in being able to fight harder, weirder and wilder monsters.

It's also about the gear, definitely. It's not a loot game, but it is about seeing a weapon upgrade path and deciding that it looks and/or sounds pretty cool and so fighting a monster a couple more times to get the parts for it. It is a bit of a grind much later on but it's actually pretty easy at first to get a load of different weird gear and weapons.

There is a single player campaign but it's always tripe, and more just a tutorial for the MP stuff. It's actually very literal and honest in what it is, there's absolutely no fluff and no pretension. It's almost arcade in its purity. It's like, if you don't enjoy playing it for the sake of the gameplay, it doesn't try to dupe you or tempt you with any other bullshit. It's just fucking fun and satisfying learning to fight the monsters.

The combat is the meat of the game and, as I said up thread, there's a really high skill ceiling to it. Like, unbelievably so. I can labour my way through a half hour fight with my massive upgraded hammer and three other numbskulls, but a better, more knowledgeable player can take it down solo in half the time with starting gear. Every hit feels satisfying because it's actually quite hard to make clean contact. That's also why part of the hook because it just feels fucking good to play. Every time I sprint in, leap off my steed and smash my hammer square into some monster's skull, I instantly clip it because it gives me a burst of dopamine.

Sold, not my typical kind of game but it sounds like if any of the series is going to lure me in it's this one.

Kelvin

Quote from: thelittlemango on March 29, 2021, 08:38:48 PM
I've always been intrigued by Monster Hunter but from reading a couple of reviews and from the posts in this thread I can't really work out what you actually do in it. Is it as literal as the name? Is all the fun in how you track down and kill a bunch of monsters? Is there a story involved or is it all about grinding and upgrading gear?

The multi-player side of it sounds a bit like Phantasy Star Online, which I used to love on the Dreamcast but ultimately found quite hollow after a while, endless fights trying to get enough XP, parts and currency to be able to get the best weapons and armour.

I can't speak to the last few games, but for me, a huge part of the appeal with Tri was the incredible sense of achievement whenever you finally did manage to take down one of the larger monsters. The game was really hard, with enemies that were unpredictable, believable, and really fucking scary if you weren't ready for them. Taking some of the hardest ones down, after quite literally 30 minutes of hacking away at them, chasing them, getting caught off guard by them, multiple deaths, multiple strategies... it really did feel like you had achieved something impossible at times.

I'm not sure if any other game has ever really captured that same tension/relief in a one on one battle, for me. Even the bosses in things like Dark Souls never had the same intensity as a half hour hunting a Rathalos. 

Chedney Honks

I completely agree, really well expressed and something I completely failed to mention. And it's actually the best bit about Monster Hunter! They're not 'boss fights' like anything else in gaming, not Dark Souls, not Bloodborne, not even Shadow of the Colossus. The lack of a health bar definitely adds something so your only cues are the monster's tired movement, its laboured breathing, its slack-jawed drooling and its desperate bursts of anger and energy as it's fighting to survive. It's like the Sif fight in Dark Souls, the way she starts limping towards the end, but more subtle and varied.

There are plenty of people who can't play MH precisely because the animations and everything could easily make you feel terrible about what you're doing. The cheerful tone and joyous hub music and atmosphere are very much at odds with that, too. It works for me because I hate monsters but it's testament to the incredible design work that some people can't play it.

Zetetic

For anyone else whose interest has been nudged by TBC/CH's posts, a Windows PC release is planned for early 2022.

Timothy

Dutch Amazon had a pricing error so I was able to buy the CE for 50 pounds. It arrives tonight. Never played a MH game before but got quite curious after reading the comments here and the reviews. Looking forward to play it later this week.

petercussing

Hooray, i got this finally at the bargain price thanks to this threads. Can't wait to punch a monster. Will report back about how scared i am of the monster plus game liking levels

Chedney Honks

Fair warning, the controls will feel absolutely stupid at first. Like, you can't run with your weapon out, and depending on your weapon you need to press a button first to put it away, then you can run, then you press a button to get your weapon out again. Try every weapon type at first to get a feel for what you might like to try.

If I could give any advice, I'd suggest hammer is really satisfying and very straightforward. You want to hit them in the head with the hammer.

petercussing

It seems fine. This is good so far, though i had to stop for a bit at the start as making the cat made me feel sad about my old cat who died not long ago, but then i killed a monsters.