Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:10:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Monster Hunter Rise

Started by Chedney Honks, March 26, 2021, 09:38:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chedney Honks

Sorry to hear about your cat, mate. I don't know what I'll do do when mine go, but probably kill a load of people out of spite. Just realised while posting this that I can hear my neighbour really clearly. I desperately hope she didn't hear any of what my wife and I talk about to make each other laugh or we'll both be in prison.

I played this for about ten hours today, haven't been this obsessed with a game in months, probably a good year.

Kelvin

Quote from: Chedney Honks on April 02, 2021, 06:48:37 PM
I played this for about ten hours today, haven't been this obsessed with a game in months, probably a good year.

Well, we had noticed you were talking about games again  :)

Chedney Honks

Beauty is, if nobody else talks about it (or just good guys like DJ Pierre), I'm laughing. When you get the hot take guys, I'm straight on Google Maps finding the fastest route to dissolve their bones. 😂😂😂

Chedney Honks

In the space of three days, I've completely changed how I play Monster Hunter.

I always loved hammer, great sword and maybe long sword at a push. 95% hammer, though, real talk. Simple to understand, fairly easy to use and very satisfying when you connect.

I got some special recipe for the Dual Blades which was a bit more powerful than my current hammer and I had the parts for it by chance. You can get one-off kind of gear in this for doing side quests and stuff, nothing novel in terms of gameplay loop but it made me give it a go, anyway.

Turns out, it's basically the Blades of Mercy from Bloodborne but with more mad moves. A big part of the fun is seeing the numbers as you're going ham, but compared to the occasional big clonking 50 or 90 of the hammer, the screen becomes a proper blitz of 8, 9 and 10s. Then you tap ZR to enter Demon mode and you start seeing lots of golden crits for 15 and 20 and you're right up in the beast's face and under its legs slashing wildly as your stamina bar is ebbing away. Bang. Guy hits the deck. You launch a wire bug attack, throw it into the downed beast and pull tight. You follow up with a rushing dash attack and every hit starts to count twice because of the wire dagger, you wail on the monster's tender belly and the golden numbers are spewing like so much aureal viscera and you finish the combo with a dazzling pachinko of rent flesh.

DocDaneeka

That does sound good. I'm playing sword and shield, I like being able to slide along then rise up and slap a monster in the face. Doesn't do loads of damage but blocking a big attack is satisfying and not having to sheath yer weapon to use an item is very useful.

Also enjoy the camaraderie of fighting alongside my good friends, 4 character Japanese name and two character Japanese name.

petercussing

I'm using a glaive as it's objectively the funniest weapon and Krull. I'm not sure it's so great, though. Plus, as i was so impatient i didn't bother reading lots of the instructions and had no idea what i was doing, but then BOTW spoiled me with it's soft learning styles.

I enjoy this game a lot, it took me a smidge to get fully on board with the controls as CH pointed out handily, but now i'm running and jumping and grappling hooking nice. Have you seen this guy run around, jumping?! It's crazy.

It's also nice that i got to make my man have glowing eyes, mouth and a kissy lips on his forehead that glow too.

I don't want to scare anyone but i did spot two crimes though, one crime is that there are multiple monsters, so the game should be called Monsters Hunters Rise, so that's trades description crime. I'm not saying you have to but i've drawn an S with felt tip on my box (imagine me staring hard at you and nodding lots when i say you don't have to).

Also, this game rips off bionic commando and lost planet and i did phone the police to try and get them to arrest Capcom, and i was crying so much it was hard to hear what they were saying and we also got caught in a circular argument thusly:

"What do you want us to actually do?"
"Arrest capcom"
"Arrest all the developers and workers at the company?"
"What are you talking about, i want you to arrest capcom, please do your job and arrest capcom"

It went round and round in that vein for a good ten minutes and they got quite cross about it, i think as they were shouting quite a lot at the end and i just hung up as i could't breathe from crying and they were just saying something about reporting me, so i knew the crime was being looked into.

I think they got the wrong end of the stick though and think i'm capcom who was admitting to crimes and handing themselves in as they came to my house and knocked on the door for ages.

It was only as they were thumping on the door that i realised i'm a silly idiot as capcom make those games and you can steel from yourselves all you like and now i've got capcom arrested and there'll be no more resident evil.

I am happy to report all the monsters i seen are real monsters so that's that fear put to bed.

Thanks for the cat condolances, my feeling about that are amplified more cos my uncle and nan died in feb and march repectively of covid so i'm all sad and junk. I hope that's bummed out this thread suitably, lolz.

Don't be sad, punch a monster.

petercussing

I watched a how to play this game video today that showed that i have really no idea how to play this properly. Impatiently skipping loads of text has been an error, i didn't even realise i needed to chomp food until a couple of days ago. It gave me a case of the lulz.

I keep wanting to get into this more but feel too mopey and not in the mood to get into a game with a reasonably complex play system i have to learn, i just want to jump and punch and run, like in real life.

I will persist, though and teach you all a lesson, a lesson of monsters.

Chedney Honks

Long story short, Pierre, I'm just grateful you've given it a go. It took me three MH games for the whole shitshow to click. Sounds like you're doing great, buddy.

petercussing

Watching that vid helped me lots and i just now had a nice time playing it in a better fashion with less spazzing, though it is making me sad killing animals that seem to just be chilling and stealing their innards, but then i'm a huge ponce. Also riding a nice dog round was making me feel wrong being as he's my friend. Basically my feelings about this game highlights my current erratic internal feelings compase rather than what i objectively feel about this, I do think i like this lots.

I think it's the animal murder that makes me not respond well to this occasionally. I don't know why cos i don't care about killing a shy guy or whatevs. Frankly, though i was genuinely super upset at losing characters i'd mentally bonded with in Fire Emblem and the (spoiler for Paper mario)
Spoiler alert
Bobomb sacrificing himself in that
[close]
so my feelings is just a bit busted atm.

petercussing

Urgh and boo, i think i fold. I keep vacilating like a huge me, sometimes i dig it and sometimes i'm really non-plussed, i really want to like this and not be defeated, i'm fairly choosy about games and always want to finish them and this is spurring me on, but i also feel like i'm wasting time i could be outside, riding a dog round, hitting real life birds and badgers in the legs with my own personal glaive.

In my mind i'm all
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjEq-r2agqc
But the siren call is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FjWe31S_0g

Chedney Honks

Sorry to hear that after my big hype up. I'd say the Glaive is a terribly tricky weapon to get started if that's what you've stuck with. It's a proper pro tool, well beyond me and really fiddly. I'd recommend trying something else but you may well have done and just not enjoying it.

I'm almost at the endgame now and it's my favourite game in about a year. I'd hardly played (or enjoyed) anything in months, so I'm really happy with this even if it's not actually got me playing games rather than just playing this.

I've got my dual blades going apeshit with blast power, set up all my armour today maximise the blast and weakness critical attack stuff. I just burst in and out going HAM on the weak spots, building up the blast damage and then BAMMM and then when there monst is down, I dive back in with my wire attack and double up the blast damage until BLAMMMM and rinse and repeat. Total death. I've been doing some low rank stuffy online just to help guys through the tougher hurdles and it's like being a sprinting nuke. Run right to the heart of the problem, cause untold agony to the beast and then say Congratulations to all the low rank guys. Loving it. I feel like everyone's uncle.

petercussing

Ah, i had no idea the glaive was fiendish, why would they do that? Everyone who's Krullfan will get it, the fools.  I'll give something else a go and see wha fi gwan. As i said i don't like giving up on games so i'll give it one last shot and then if i don't like it i'll eat the cartridge down my throat.

I really want to like it and do at points so i'll give it one last big shot tomoz and then it's adios boss if it's not make me be liking it. I desperately want to be a massive great uncle too, so fingers crossed.

Chedney Honks

I would recommend the Long Sword (not Great Sword). Good mobility, good damage, decent moveset, straightforward to play or Dual Blades, less straightforward to make the most of them but so much fun getting up in the monst's face and around its gooch.

petercussing

Cheers, I'll give it a shot mit der long sword

Kelvin

So is Long Sword the baby weapon for big cheating babies? Because Im going to be getting this in the next week, once I finish Blasphemous, and I'm a massive kicking baby with nothing to prove.

I dont want to be using anything fiddly, basically. I want a good, straightforward weapon with an uncomplicated moveset. Spear was good in tri, but im out of touch with the latest games. A big sword sounds fun.

Bazooka

Quote from: Kelvin on April 09, 2021, 10:02:41 PM
So is Long Sword the baby weapon for big cheating babies? Because Im going to be getting this in the next week, once I finish Blasphemous, and I'm a massive kicking baby with nothing to prove.

I dont want to be using anything fiddly, basically. I want a good, straightforward weapon with an uncomplicated moveset. Spear was good in tri, but im out of touch with the latest games. A big sword sounds fun.

Spear?  Lol don't disrespect the lance mate. Yes longsword has been the noob tube weapon since 2006.

Chedney Honks

I actually don't know, Kelv, but I trust Bazooka.

It seemed like a lot of fun when I was playing around with it for half an hour, easy enough to use and some satisfying, straightforward combos. I also tried Great Sword and it was too slow and clunky. Might as well use Hammer.

Bazooka

Hammer across the series I would say is the most optimal weapon, I haven't played Rise but would assume it to still be the case. It can't cut tails and usually not as optimal for elements as others, but the maneuverability paired with high raw damage and knockdown and stun potential make it the "best" weapon for the majority of monsters. Great sword is wonderful but it's maximum potential always came from knowing the movement patterns of the enemies down to a T, getting in the right spot for a max charge slash, also has the third best guard.

Chedney Honks

At this point, I'm just farming for different endgame weapons to try out different elements on my dual blades. I got the endgame fire weapon a while ago and while I do enjoy seeing the grey element numbers sizzling away I think blast might be my favourite, because it seems to build and build up and then bang. Always great fun anticipating the bang. I don't have the materials for the top blast weapon, though, so that's my current target. There's also only one weapon with white sharpness and I really want that just because.

Bazooka

Yes white sharpness is very horny.

Chedney Honks

I've got about four endgame builds now. Totally pointless but it's great dropping into different monsters at lower rank and helping out der schaissemunchen and nuking tails off and shit. My favourite is the Blast build with the Magnamolo gizzards, you build up the Blast damage and then tick tick tick tick BOOM blow its fucking flaps off, watch the beast recoil in horror screaming as your boys get stuck into its soft, fleshy, tender belly. Let's go, garçons. Take this cunt to the cleaners.

Kelvin

Been playing this for 5 hours tonight. Cant wait till I see my first Monster!

Chedney Honks

You must be joking. If so, I thought it was funny.

Kelvin

Quote from: Chedney Honks on April 12, 2021, 09:31:00 PM
You must be joking. If so, I thought it was funny.

Heh, I am. I played it for about an hour and a half and still hadn't started a mission. Big info dump. But that's to be expected.

Chedney Honks

That's mad but thinking back I believe you. I have skipped literally every cutscene and tutorial in this game because the way it teaches you is incredibly Japanese and bad. Fortunately, you can look anything up later in the menu. I reckon it took me about ten minutes to hit a monster in the head with a hammer.

Kelvin

I was really getting a bit fed up with this after playing it for several hours and still finding it's ten thousand mechanics completely overwhelming. Bracelets buffs, cat buffs, elemental buffs, food buffs, a bloody owl which seems to do fuck all, multiple types of storage, crafting, endless collectibles and perks, upgrades, bugs, traps, lures, capture mechanics, wyvern riding, wall running. And yet its all tutorialised so badly that I have little to no idea what benefits they offer.

Frankly, it's even more alienating and convuluted than I remember, and I was really getting fed up of reading menus trying to work out what certain types of dung can do.

Then I found and killed a giant were-rabbit, and instantly remembered why i liked the one on wii so much. The bigger monsters are so much more fun to fight and kill than the boring little ones.

I'm currently leaning towards the Great Sword or Duel Blades. Long sword seems okay too, but seems too much like a Jack of all trades. I want to see if i can learn the timing of the great sword's massive charge up attack.

Chedney Honks

I can totally understand that, but I also promise you don't need to engage with any of that stuff until much later, if ever. I've never used the owl, barely used the mercenary stuff, never trained my buddies, and I rarely use more than a handful of items. I never even acknowledge the small monsters unless I kill them by accident.

My suggestions to keep it focused on the good stuff:

1. Weapons - Always upgrade. Craft the next available weapon with higher damage and armour with higher defence. Ignore elements and skills until you're doing 6*/7* quests. You can basically ignore buddy gear until you feel you want to bother with it.

2. Items - Register a loadout. Go to the item box and register a basic loadout with potions, mega potions, antidote, Nulberry and rations. Leave the traps and bombs and anything fiddly until you get used to the fundamentals. I never use that stuff unless I'm helping people out. Before each quest, just go to the box and select the loadout. Three seconds of prep.

3. Meals - keep it simple. Register a couple of meals. I never bother with resistances or anything fiddly. Medic, Defender, Weakener is 99% what I have, but they unlock over time. The main boost is to health and stamina so eat before every quest. Again, I just click click click Meal, Points, Usual, skip cutscene. Five seconds.

4. Quests - only big monsters. Skip the foraging missions and kill 20 little monster missions unless they're key quests. Just take on the big monsters. That's the best part of the game.

5. Play online. The carnage of wailing on a monster with three Japanese salarymen/JAV idols is the meat and potatoes of the game. Don't feel bad about getting carried through some tough fights so you can get better gear from the higher rank monster parts. Focus on staying alive, learning its moves and getting damage in where you can. Soon, you will be somersaulting onto its head and breaking parts with the best of them.

Also, the fast travel around the Hub is really snappy. Hold - and select from the menu, instant loading.

My preparation loop is:

Steelworks - upgrade if possible.
Fast travel - Gathering Hub.
Item box - Loadout 1
Canteen - Meal 1.
Quest Board - Join Request.

The above takes a minute at most.

My hunting loop is:

Stay alive. (Shortcut: L + right stick left for health items)
Keep my weapon sharp (Shortcut: L + right stick up for whetstone)
Kill the monster.

Kelvin

That was great advice, Chedders, I've really enjoyed the game the last few days, and that was in no small part down to your advice about stripping out the bullshit and just focusing on the core mechanics.

Like you, I've also ended up playing Dual Blades, as they're both satisfying to use and also much easier to land hits with. Cut ribbons off a big bear this evening, then climbed on its back and had it beat seven shades of shit out of a dinosaur. Definitely hasn't lost the magic when it comes to fucking up the bigger boys.

petercussing

I've been enjoying this far more, too (and unsurprisingly it's largely due to me being in a better mood), though i may put it to one side and play something else and come back to it, starting from new. I persisted with the glaive and am now officially "glaive handy" according glaive magazine.

I'm still torn about whether wyvern ridering is being friends with a monster or not and if Chedders is a huge liar about not being able to be friends with a monster, but that is monster semantics and small beans compared to the rest of the game.

I wish the single player game was more better than it is, it's basically not worth playing, innit, geez.

Kelvin

New monsters and content getting added today in a free update;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aT22NQ2SjzQ

and another big update coming later.

Seems really generous considering the huge amount of content already in the game. Capcom really are at the top of the AAA pile.