Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:39:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Bands that will never ever, get back together

Started by turnstyle, March 26, 2021, 11:51:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

turnstyle

Basically all bands reform, right?

Ok, there are some outliers, like The Jam, The Smiths, and bands where a pivotal member dies (Nirvana) - although that didn't stop Queen.

These days when a bands breaks up, it feels like they're doing it in the full knowledge that if their solo/vanity projects don't come through, they can just reunite again, probably to more excitement and acclaim than when they were originally together, thanks to the amount of time that has passed and general hype.

Thinking of this as I'd only just seen Arab Strap had a new album out. Fair fucks to them, I listened to a lot of AS in my late teens/early 20s. But I remember going to see them at their last London gig. Bought the 7-inch. Toasted them with an overpriced London beer as they exited the stage. And now they're back! In pog form.

So what bands, with all, or most surviving members, will never reunite? And why? Extra points for beefy gossip.

Also, bonus question, does the Beatles 1994 performance count as a reunion?

JaDanketies

What will reunite the Beatles before Easter?

Two more fucking bullets.

DrGreggles

Steve Page won't re-join the Barenaked Ladies and make new music with them and tour the UK again.

Posted in the hope that I'm proven wrong.

Pauline Walnuts

I didn't want Arab Strap to reform, I really liked L. Pierres stuff, and I thought their nostalgia mini-tour of a couple of years ago was pure, err... nostalgia. I'd moved on and I expect my heroes to do likewise. And them ending on a "cheerful" album was a wonderful way to go out.

The album was OK I guess. Little too 'short story' over wordy lyrics. But it was about as good as you'd want.

lankyguy95

Cocteau Twins won't. The (former) relationship between between Liz Fraser and Robin Guthrie is too volatile by all accounts. Their botched reunion at Coachella fifteen years ago was cancelled for that reason.

Ian MacKaye has too much integrity I think to reform his old projects, so no Minor Threat or Fugazi.

On a smaller scale, Reuben won't. I think Jamie Lenman feels a more natural solo artist now.

mrfridge

The Culture Bunker

Fairly confident Julian Cope wouldn't do anything under the Teardrop Explodes name again. I've seen him perform one or two of their songs live, but that seems the extent of his revisiting those days.

purlieu

I keep forgetting that Mark Hollis died, because I was going to say there's no chance of a Talk Talk reunion.
I'll eat my own arse if Bill Drummond and Jimmy Cauty ever make any new music. They'll no doubt keep popping up to stir up their mythology a bit, but new tunes together, not a chance.

ArtParrott

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on March 26, 2021, 12:39:06 PM
Fairly confident Julian Cope wouldn't do anything under the Teardrop Explodes name again. I've seen him perform one or two of their songs live, but that seems the extent of his revisiting those days.

When I saw Cope at Green Man a few years ago he rejected a request to sing Culture Bunker because it was too high up for him nowadays. So, that might be another obstacle, not that one we're needed.

Spacemen 3 are another one who could but probably won't reform. There was rumours of Coachella putting up a lot off money for it but at least one party didn't want to. I doubt those offers are still there now but even if they were, until they get the rights back to their music I can't imagine they'd want to reform if it meant further enriching the succubus that's prevented much of their music from being properly remastered and rereleased.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: ArtParrott on March 26, 2021, 01:04:37 PM
When I saw Cope at Green Man a few years ago he rejected a request to sing Culture Bunker because it was too high up for him nowadays. So, that might be another obstacle, not that one we're needed.
I saw him at Band on the Wall, Manchester just over 10 years ago (that makes me feel old to realise) and he did 'All I Am is Loving You', which was from their first EP, just himself playing the organ. He might well have played another Teardrop Explodes song, but the memory is hazy. He stated that the recorded version only has two chords because "Simmo, the keyboard player, couldn't play the third chord" but that he'd do it properly for us.

I happened to interview Simmo (Paul Simpson) a few months later, regaled the story and he wasn't very happy about it, responding "I wrote that song and it was supposed to have two chords. I'll be having words with Copey!"

I know Q magazine tried to get the band together to accept some award a few years ago and Gary Dwyer, Dave Balfe and Alan Gill turned up but Cope didn't. I did wonder if Mick Finkler and Troy Tate had been asked, as it seemed a bit harsh to not do so.

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: ArtParrott on March 26, 2021, 01:04:37 PM
Spacemen 3 are another one who could but probably won't reform. There was rumours of Coachella putting up a lot off money for it but at least one party didn't want to. I doubt those offers are still there now but even if they were, until they get the rights back to their music I can't imagine they'd want to reform if it meant further enriching the succubus that's prevented much of their music from being properly remastered and rereleased.

I read somewhere recently that Sonic Boom was open to a reunion, but Pierce's feelings about him have 'not mellowed' after all this time.

gilbertharding

Sonic Youth won't get back together, I wouldn't have thought.

Custard

The Verve. It seems like they really did give up after that go in 2008

Pixies, with Kim Deal

The Smiths. And thank fuck. A sweaty fat racist Moz barking over that beautiful sound would be incredibly bleak

The Jam

The Style Council

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Shameless Custard on March 26, 2021, 01:26:06 PMThe Style Council
Mick Talbot joining Weller on stage for a few songs doesn't seem that unlikely.

pigamus

LORD BAD VIBE

I think it's unlikely we'll see an Elastica reunion. Justine is happily working as a artist in the US and Donna has found God.

Doubt Partridge and Moulding will get it together again either.

BeardFaceMan

Josh Homme has gone to a lot of trouble to make sure no one uses the Kyuss name, and I can't see him ever using it again either. He's always been adamant that if you missed Kyuss first time around then tough fucking shit, it's over.

rue the polywhirl

Pink Floyd. Roger Waters and David Gilmour could theoretically reunite and do a couple more shows or collaborations and I'm sure Roger Waters is the keener of the two but... it's not going to happen.

sevendaughters

There's quite a lot I'd say. Mostly because of economics: the cash that got MBV and Slint and the Roses back on stage isn't going to be there forever.

I'd love Gastr del Sol to get back together and do Camoufleur in full, but unlike Spiderland and Young Team it seems to be a post-rock record that no one cares about to the same extent. And Jim O'Rourke is in Japan and David Grubbs is a professor.

I know TFUL282 did get back for a relatively lucrative ATP slot, but that gravy train has passed, and they're older and out of gig shape. Might help if someone would pony up to reissue their shit, but they're destined for the memories of the few. Same goes for Labradford really. No reason why they couldn't. They just won't.

ABBA would be sad now. Past the moment where I'd want it.

SteveDave

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on March 26, 2021, 01:34:23 PM
Josh Homme has gone to a lot of trouble to make sure no one uses the Kyuss name, and I can't see him ever using it again either. He's always been adamant that if you missed Kyuss first time around then tough fucking shit, it's over.

https://www.nme.com/news/music/brant-bjork-has-spoken-to-josh-homme-about-a-potential-kyuss-reunion-2907080

iamcoop

A Kyuss reunion will definitely happen. You can put your house on it.

Homme was a guest on a podcast a few months back discussing the anniversary of ...And the circus leaves town and basically said as much.

Chicory

R.E.M. - Not impossible as they're all still alive. I'd like to think they're not the sorts. I'd have so much less respect for them if they did.  A Stipe solo album wouldn't go amiss, though.

Mansun - Mad, bad, fat, given up. All and some of the above.

Camera Obscura - Would love this but it's understandable that after Carey's untimely passing, it's highly unlikely.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Chicory on March 26, 2021, 03:44:00 PM
R.E.M. - Not impossible as they're all still alive. I'd like to think they're not the sorts. I'd have so much less respect for them if they did.  A Stipe solo album wouldn't go amiss, though.
I think it was considered a huge surprise that Bill Berry took part in that short documentary about 'Losing My Religion' recently (and was even filmed doing a bit of drumming).

chveik

apparently Les Rallizes Dénudés are going on tour again so anything's possible

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: SteveDave on March 26, 2021, 02:19:41 PM
https://www.nme.com/news/music/brant-bjork-has-spoken-to-josh-homme-about-a-potential-kyuss-reunion-2907080

That's shocked me, that, he's always said it would never, ever happen. Time heals wounds, I suppose. Speaking as someone who got into Kyuss after they broke up but before QOTSA formed, I'd actually be disappointed if they did get back together.

Edit to quote Homme -

My philosophy has always been, never do a reunion, never do a sequel. It's not what it was; it's what it is. And that's kind of how I've felt

That's more how I'm used to him talking.

iamcoop

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on March 26, 2021, 03:52:40 PM
That's shocked me, that, he's always said it would never, ever happen. Time heals wounds, I suppose. Speaking as someone who got into Kyuss after they broke up but before QOTSA formed, I'd actually be disappointed if they did get back together.

Edit to quote Homme -

That's more how I'm used to him talking.

To be fair to Homme his comments on that podcast (worth a listen BTW) were basically saying "I never ever wanted to do a reunion, but considering the sour taste that the lawsuits etc have left in the fans mouths it seems the only way our reputation can be restored would be to play again and make everyone happy."

He also said the only way he'd do it would be with super cheap tickets in small venues so it really would be about playing for the fans as opposed to some enormi-dome pay-day tour.

Homme is the key really to a successful reunion so I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up being totally on his terms.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: iamcoop on March 26, 2021, 04:20:02 PM
Homme is the key really to a successful reunion so I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up being totally on his terms.

Oh yeah, there's no way a proper reunion happens without him, it's going to be his way or no way. A club tour would be good but that only really suits Homme and not the others, he's the only one with a very successful band who doesn't need to do a payday tour but as you say, it's going to be done the way he wants it done.

What was the name of the podcast he was on?

iamcoop

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on March 26, 2021, 04:25:55 PM
Oh yeah, there's no way a proper reunion happens without him, it's going to be his way or no way. A club tour would be good but that only really suits Homme and not the others, he's the only one with a very successful band who doesn't need to do a payday tour but as you say, it's going to be done the way he wants it done.

What was the name of the podcast he was on?

https://www.fccfreeradio.com/kyuss-world-radio-58-josh-homme-and-the-circus-leaves-town-turns-25-7-12-20-1-24-21/

He's obviously warming to the idea of being more open to Kyuss generally as there's no way he'd have done an hour interview exclusively dedicated to them, even up to a couple of years ago.

I'd 100% see a Kyuss reunion show, oddly they're one of the few bands I'd like to see reform and not make any new stuff whatsoever. Just an hour of them absolutely smashing through the back catalogue would be fine for me.

My main concern would be Garcia...I've seen him a few times in different band incarnations and every time he's seemed bored and disinterested.

wosl

I understand it would take a big shift in David Crosby's life for staunch born-againers McGuinn and Hillman to consider sharing a stage or a recording studio with him again (apparently McGuinn especially takes a dim view of Crosby's secular ways).