Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 08:28:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Bands that will never ever, get back together

Started by turnstyle, March 26, 2021, 11:51:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markburgle

Quote from: Goldentony on March 28, 2021, 09:58:00 PM
SHIT ALL

They'd get some decent money. Some examples of the royalty rates for having played on a song that's broadcast:

BBC Radio 1: £37.76 per minute

BBC Radio 2: £82.07 per minute

BBC 6 Music: £8.06 per minute

Those are oldish numbers though, they'll have gone up a bit. If Radio 2 played it 4 times a day for 30 days in a row that would seem to be over 7 grand per member. Depends what proportion of £500k is writers royalties vs performance, but for comparison as a writer you get:

BBC Radio 1: £13.63 per minute

BBC Radio 2: £24.27 per minute

BBC 6 Music: £5.25 per minute

Jockice

Quote from: Goldentony on March 28, 2021, 09:41:30 PM

The never ending tours with increasingly shit and weird singers and changing lyrics didn't help and they sort of just did that into irrelevancy until EBR let the republican in him make a complete tit on himself on twitter, giving Jello the easiest six in ashes history

Wasn't it claimed that it was his assistant or suchlike that had made the offending post? Or am I confusing him with Graham Linehan?

Jockice

Quote from: iamcoop on March 28, 2021, 04:10:26 PM

Hugh seems like an complete weapon these days.

Totally. Did I ever tell you...oh, I have, haven't I?

I've never been a big fan of them but have seen them several times both with the original line-up and non-original line-ups. Always enjoyed it no matter who's been singing.

Jockice

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on March 28, 2021, 09:19:46 PM
Does sort of remind me that it should be law that anyone who says "actually, did you know Huey Lewis and the News played on Elvis Costello's first album?" be slapped with a fish.

Fuck my ha...actually, I already knew.

scarecrow

Quote from: Kankurette on March 28, 2021, 07:30:00 PM
I do love some of his solo stuff - I Want You and Tramp The Dirt Down in particular - but his Attractions songs will always be my favourite.
I Want You is on the last real Attractions LP.

It's mad how EC went on two record 1.5 albums and tour extensively with the Attractions after The Big Wheel and How to Be Dumb. I've never really understood the falling out. E skirts over it in his massive memoir (which spends way too much time focussing on celebrity benefit gigs he's played at), but I understand Bruce's Dancing About Architecture book goes into more detail, as well as accusing Steve Nieve of being a bad racist. Judging from the Stiff tour documentary, Pete Thomas is the real knob of the group - at one point he's captured sexually assaulting someone.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Chicory on March 26, 2021, 03:44:00 PM
Mansun - Mad, bad, fat, given up. All and some of the above
And they were shit when they were an actual band.

Kankurette

Quote from: scarecrow on March 29, 2021, 02:04:09 PM
I Want You is on the last real Attractions LP.

It's mad how EC went on two record 1.5 albums and tour extensively with the Attractions after The Big Wheel and How to Be Dumb. I've never really understood the falling out. E skirts over it in his massive memoir (which spends way too much time focussing on celebrity benefit gigs he's played at), but I understand Bruce's Dancing About Architecture book goes into more detail, as well as accusing Steve Nieve of being a bad racist. Judging from the Stiff tour documentary, Pete Thomas is the real knob of the group - at one point he's captured sexually assaulting someone.
My bad, I couldn't remember if Blood & Chocolate was Attractions or not. Spike is one of my faves, if only because my mum played the thing to death when I was a kid and it took me years to understand why she always got ranty when Tramp The Dirt Down came on. That song makes me cry now. Let Him Dangle also gets me.

I liked Mansun, not least because I spent my teenage years in Chester and they were local, but Paul Draper is a Grade A cunt with mummy issues. I can't remember the exact details of what happened with Estrons, I think he sexually harassed their singer.

danwho9

Quote from: Kankurette on March 29, 2021, 02:59:42 PM
I liked Mansun, not least because I spent my teenage years in Chester and they were local, but Paul Draper is a Grade A cunt with mummy issues. I can't remember the exact details of what happened with Estrons, I think he sexually harassed their singer.

I should probably like that band a bit more for their output, but Wide Open Space is the only song I was ever really able to get into.

crankshaft

Quote from: Goldentony on March 28, 2021, 10:22:22 PM
don't they do Slade II aka SLADE DOS aka SLADE ZWEI aka SLADE DER DOPPELGANGER SLADE together around Christmas? think they've both had books out too, cannot imagine they get fuck all from Slade but aye not as much as the two who dom't have to be in Slade II, they have to have something though right, what does Joe Pasquale do for example, maybe a better musical example, what does Eddie Grant to day to day when he isn't doing a festival or two? what do the rest of the Equals do? what's Harpo got on?

Put it this way - there'd be no Slade II if Don and Dave were making a decent amount of money from their record sales. There are an awful lot of rockers in their 70s still touring the clubs who are only doing it to make ends meet.

Eddy Grant is an interesting case. He was very clued up from the very beginning of his career, and ensured that he retained ownership of all their master recordings - very rare back in the 1960s. So, in addition to all the publishing royalties he received as sole song writer on his hits (paid out whenever "Electric Avenue" etc are played on the radio, on TV, or live), he would have made a LOT more money than the average artist from his record sales. I'm sure a man that savvy invested his music royalties wisely. He still tours when he fancies it, too. He also set up a studio in, I think, Barbados, which was quite successful, although I don't know whether it survived the infamous Happy Mondays "Yes Please" sessions where Shaun started selling anything that wasn't nailed down (including the studio sofa) to buy crack.

daf

Pauline Walnuts

The Editors should never, ever, have got back together.

That last album, fewwwwiiee!

rue the polywhirl

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on March 29, 2021, 05:44:17 PM
The Editors should never, ever, have got back together.

That last album, fewwwwiiee!

I hope they do an outtakes collection called The Cutting Room Floor.

Video Game Fan 2000

Isn't it more or less confirmed that the Smiths have practiced together several times over the last fifteen years and Morrissey was a cunt to everyone involved so nowt happened?

Video Game Fan 2000

Original Wire line up is never coming back.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on March 29, 2021, 08:10:49 PM
Isn't it more or less confirmed that the Smiths have practiced together several times over the last fifteen years and Morrissey was a cunt to everyone involved so nowt happened?

No.

Video Game Fan 2000

There were serious offers $money a while back though. Morrissey loves money.

daf

I think there's more chance of David Cameron fronting the Smiths, than Morrisey, these days!

lankyguy95

Quote from: daf on March 29, 2021, 08:19:45 PM
I think there's more chance of David Cameron fronting the Smiths, than Morrisey, these days!
Last night I dreamt that sow body loved me.

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: daf on March 29, 2021, 08:19:45 PM

Keane with nice sounding chords.

sutin

I always assumed Mansun were some one hit wonder D list britpop band but I looked them up recently after I saw an ad for a 25 disc(!!!!???!!!!) boxset and it turns out they had a number one album! I've literally never met anyone in real life who would profess to be a big fan of them, it would be like being really into Gay Dad or sutin.

daf

Big Mansun fan here - and yes, I bought that box set (I was also a massive Gay Dad fan!)

Their best stuff is on the second album - Six - this sort of thing : Cancer

phes

I saw them at The Joiners in Southampton in 1995. They had a kid who looked about 16 on a drum machine, and I'm sure they had no drummer. Apparently they did have a drummer, and it was their third gig as Manson, a week after their first. Their fan page claims they could barely play together and hadn't even released a single. How 16 was I. 

purlieu

Quote from: sutin on March 29, 2021, 08:54:33 PM
I always assumed Mansun were some one hit wonder D list britpop band but I looked them up recently after I saw an ad for a 25 disc(!!!!???!!!!) boxset and it turns out they had a number one album! I've literally never met anyone in real life who would profess to be a big fan of them, it would be like being really into Gay Dad or sutin.
There's a fairly detailed thread about them a few pages back, lots of fans here.
Either way, they're not remotely comparable to Gay Dad, their first two albums are pretty weird affairs - Six is basically about 36 song fragments over 13 tracks, including a glitchy electronic interpretation of a Tchaikovsky piece and a harpsichord interlude with Tom Baker narrating Brian Jones's final thoughts before he drowned.
They're definitely a bit of a cult band - there have been Mansun conventions - but they were probably the most experimental group to be associated with Britpop. Radiohead namechecked their debut album as a favourite around the time they were promoting OK Computer too.

edit: the lyrics on Paul Draper's album are a good indication of how likely a reunion is going to be, so yes, they definitely belong in this thread.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

sutin

Quote from: purlieu on March 29, 2021, 09:54:52 PM
There's a fairly detailed thread about them a few pages back, lots of fans here.
Either way, they're not remotely comparable to Gay Dad, their first two albums are pretty weird affairs - Six is basically about 36 song fragments over 13 tracks, including a glitchy electronic interpretation of a Tchaikovsky piece and a harpsichord interlude with Tom Baker narrating Brian Jones's final thoughts before he drowned.
They're definitely a bit of a cult band - there have been Mansun conventions - but they were probably the most experimental group to be associated with Britpop. Radiohead namechecked their debut album as a favourite around the time they were promoting OK Computer too.

edit: the lyrics on Paul Draper's album are a good indication of how likely a reunion is going to be, so yes, they definitely belong in this thread.

Well, I always thought Radiohead were bloody awful so that's not really selling them to me.

Well, colour me surprised I guess. I know Wide Open Space from the '90s but never heard anything about them again until their creepy lead singer started stalking everyone around the internet.

The Culture Bunker

Count me in with the Mansun admiration, especially 'Six', which was in my top two albums of the late 90s, along with 'Adam and Eve' by Catherine Wheel.

Catherine Wheel seem to be one of the few main shoegaze bands who haven't reformed - presumably because the singer, Rob "Cousin of Bruce" Dickinson, is making a decent living renovating old Porsche 911s for Hollywood types.

purlieu

Intended that more as an indicator of the level of acclaim they had, especially outside the D-list Britpop world.
That said, Wide Open Space was nowhere near their biggest song (it wasn't one of their four top singles), so I'm surprised that's the one that you remember.

And yes, Paul Draper has a lot of mental health issues and needs to sort them out because he really doesn't do himself any favours when he goes online drunk.