Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:58:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Bands that will never ever, get back together

Started by turnstyle, March 26, 2021, 11:51:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveDave

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on March 30, 2021, 12:50:06 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grDNthP7Fzw

Not Britpop? Vocalist sounds exactly equidistant from that fella out Blur and Liam Gallagher.

In that song he sounds like Rick "The Fuck" Witter.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Jockice on March 31, 2021, 09:21:56 AM
I know I do. And I think his work's incredibly smug. His two most famous songs should be retitled Smug Woodshed Shite and Smug Bus Shite. Not to mention his face with it's 'I'm so incredibly clever and witty' expression permanently smeared across it.

Sorry, but I really find absolutely everything about him nauseating. And as I've no doubt mentioned before, I've had big arguments with good friends who think he's great. But he winds me up in a way that otherwise only the Red Hot Chili Peppers can manage.

and Frasier.

sutin

Quote from: Jockice on March 30, 2021, 01:07:10 PM
In the early days there were loads of different members but by the late 80s they had the 'classic' line-up of the aforementioned Cocker, Banks, Doyle, Mackey and Russell Senior. Mark Webber (who had been playing guitar on stage with them) became a full member in 1995 and Senior left in early 87. He was replaced for live shows (and some recording) by Richard Hawley, who never became a full member. So it was a fairly stable line-up for most of their golden period.

Leo Abrahams is a session musician (not even from the Sheffield area) who joined them for their live shows when they reformed a decade or so ago and continued after Senior left again. Hawley also joined them on stage. Jason Buckle meanwhile has done stuff with Jarvis but as far as I know not with Pulp, apart from a couple of remixes. Although I could be wrong there. He also shares a surname with my legendary girlfriend (see what I did there?) but they're not related.

I remember Steve Lamacq announcing excitedly that Pulp had got back together in the 'original line-up.' I went to see them and there was no Peter Dalton or Jamie Pincheck involved at all. Swizz!

Yeah, I don't think Jarvis would ever reform Pulp with another line up other than the classic one, and he certainly wouldn't do with it without Candida.

JohnnyCouncil

The guy (I presume) who put together the Mansun mega boxset last year has a thread over on the Bar Italia pulp forum trying to establish what exists in terms of unreleased recordings before approaching the band/label about a release. Doubt it'll happen but I'd be very pleased if it did. Pulp seem to be very uneasy about rinsing their fanbase, which makes a change but as a huge fan (10ft to paraphrase the live and kicking interview) I could really do with the last sheffield show on DVD/Vinyl etc.

sutin

I just watched three random Mansun videos that came up on YouTube and it was just yer generic mid-90s britpop I always assumed they were.

*runs away*

sutin

Quote from: JohnnyCouncil on March 31, 2021, 11:35:14 AM
The guy (I presume) who put together the Mansun mega boxset last year has a thread over on the Bar Italia pulp forum trying to establish what exists in terms of unreleased recordings before approaching the band/label about a release. Doubt it'll happen but I'd be very pleased if it did. Pulp seem to be very uneasy about rinsing their fanbase, which makes a change but as a huge fan (10ft to paraphrase the live and kicking interview) I could really do with the last sheffield show on DVD/Vinyl etc.

Yeah, i've been following that. You're right about Pulp not being into rinsing the fans but on top of that Universal Music appear to have little interest in rinsing their fans either. It's a shame because there's a fair bit of unreleased Pulp stuff, not least from the underrated We Love Life era.

buzby

Quote from: Chicory on March 31, 2021, 10:39:33 AM
The result being 'Little Kix', half of which is solid, the other half total bobbins.  If Draper initially refused to tour LK, he must have eventually relented because I saw them three times during that time and have clear memories of them playing the likes of 'I Can Only Disappoint U', 'Love Is...', 'Comes As No Surprise' and what have you.  If only I'd known about the corporate pressure they were under at the time, I would've been a lot more understanding about them suddenly going commercial pop-rock.
He did agree to a short (20-date) UK tour (V festival, universities and mid-sized venues) over August 2000 - February 2001 to promote the album, plus one gig in Japan (where they were huge). It was only about half the number of gigs they did on the tours for their previous two albums.

When they did the small venue tour in 2002 to work up songs for what was going to be their fourth album, the only old songs they played were from before Little Kix, so they presuambly wanted to forget it ever existed.

Kankurette

Quote from: Jockice on March 31, 2021, 07:53:29 AM
Brilliant live band. Or so I thought. Admittedly the time I saw them I was uncharacteristically absolutely bladdered, but still. I'm sure if I saw them nowadays I'd be a bit disappointed. I have my memories though. And you can't take that away from me. Until I get diagnosed with Alzheimers.
I saw them at Starshaped a few years ago and was pleasantly surprised.

Jockice

Jockice

Pulp seem to be very uneasy about rinsing their fanbase, which makes a change but as a huge fan (10ft to paraphrase the live and kicking interview) I could really do with the last sheffield show on DVD/Vinyl etc.

Got to admit I'm still puzzled about why they've never released this in some format. Not even as a bonus disc with the not particularly brilliant documentary that Italian geezer did about the build-up to the show.

(PS, I missed them lining up and taking a bow for the only time in their career - Candida's idea I believe - because I was in the toilet. Boo!)

Mansun mega boxset

Shouting lager lager lager lager
Mansun mega boxset
Mansun mega boxset

jobotic

Quote from: sutin on March 31, 2021, 11:39:56 AM
I just watched three random Mansun videos that came up on YouTube and it was just yer generic mid-90s britpop I always assumed they were.

*runs away*

I did the same and I agree. I don't get it at all.

Why no Gene boxset?

sutin

Quote from: jobotic on March 31, 2021, 12:38:51 PM

Why no Gene boxset?

It's baffling, isn't it? The idea of a 25 disc boxset by the band who did Wide Open Space is kinda hilarious.

What makes Mansun special is the first two albums. Ridiculous, sprawling orchestral epics, punctuated with delicate guitar ballads and pop-rock with silly lyrics.

The irony is that most people at the time were put off the band because the albums were impenetrable in comparison to the singles which were so easy to listen to, whereas now people are most likely to be put off them because the singles were seemingly run of the mill Britpop fodder, so they never want to scratch the surface. But you should. Attack of the Grey Lantern needs to be heard from start to finish to get a real feeling for what they were about. And if you can make it through that, Six is even more avant garde.

If you don't like them after that, then fair enough, but to dismiss them off the back of a few singles is doing them a massive disservice.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: sutin on March 31, 2021, 12:57:45 PM
It's baffling, isn't it? The idea of a 25 disc boxset by the band who did Wide Open Space is kinda hilarious.
Hell, I'm a big Mansun fan and even I agree that box set was rather over the top.

daf

The mad thing was that, even at 25 discs, if you wanted everything, you still need to buy the separate deluxe versions of AOTGL and Six - as, barring the main albums, there was no duplication between the two sets : the BBC sessions, and outtakes were all different.

daf

Quote from: sutin on March 31, 2021, 12:57:45 PM

Give Six (the album) a listen - (should be on spotify) - that's the reason.

purlieu

Quote from: sutin on March 31, 2021, 11:39:56 AM

*runs away*
Try these three for not-remotely-generic-mid-90s-britpop:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uya6GH8HMoM&ab_channel=Mansun-Topic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtcuHs_5oRo&ab_channel=Mansun-Topic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8xGACkkpOg&ab_channel=Mansun-Topic

I'd also agree that a 25 disc boxset is ludicrous for any band who only released four albums in their time. It could have basically been ten discs and covered the albums, every b-side and some rarities and be good enough. I've not even started on the live stuff yet...

buzby

Quote from: daf on March 31, 2021, 01:20:22 PM
The mad thing was that, even at 25 discs, if you wanted everything, you still need to buy the separate deluxe versions of AOTGL and Six - as, barring the main albums, there was no duplication between the two sets : the BBC sessions, and outtakes were all different.
That's the thing - they recorded a load of material that didn't end up on the albums, and some of it was their best stuff, which got relegated to B-sides to singles or EP tracks, like Railings and the absolutely epic Closed For Business (which as mentioned previously, amazingly got to #10 as the lead track on the Seven EP - The World's Still Open was originally intended as the lead track, but the band rejected it as being 'too commercial').

Quote from: jobotic on March 31, 2021, 12:38:51 PM
Well, I hope you get Cancer.

Kankurette

Closed For Business is one of the best singles they ever did.

What are some popular bands where every single member is dead? There's still a Walker Brother and two of the Three Tenors.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: thecuriousorange on March 31, 2021, 03:52:32 PM
What are some popular bands where every single member is dead? There's still a Walker Brother and two of the Three Tenors.
The original (Joey, Johnny, Dee Dee and Tommy) line up of the Ramones?

daf

sutin

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on March 31, 2021, 03:54:48 PM
The original (Joey, Johnny, Dee Dee and Tommy) line up of the Ramones?

Yea. I was going to add "Not counting acts who still had success with other line-ups, with members still alive". But that would be a near impossible request, as practically every band brand is being milked somewhere. A version of Wet Wet Wet tours without Marti Pellow.

purlieu

The two permanent members of Coil are dead.

daf