Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:44:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Bands that will never ever, get back together

Started by turnstyle, March 26, 2021, 11:51:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: iamcoop on March 26, 2021, 04:33:12 PM
https://www.fccfreeradio.com/kyuss-world-radio-58-josh-homme-and-the-circus-leaves-town-turns-25-7-12-20-1-24-21/

He's obviously warming to the idea of being more open to Kyuss generally as there's no way he'd have done an hour interview exclusively dedicated to them, even up to a couple of years ago.

I'd 100% see a Kyuss reunion show, oddly they're one of the few bands I'd like to see reform and not make any new stuff whatsoever. Just an hour of them absolutely smashing through the back catalogue would be fine for me.

My main concern would be Garcia...I've seen him a few times in different band incarnations and every time he's seemed bored and disinterested.

Thanks for that.

Yeah, I think there's an argument now that if there was a time for a reunion, then it's passed. It might be hard to get everyone fired up for it now, especially after all the lawsuits.

Crabwalk

Quote from: Chicory on March 26, 2021, 03:44:00 PM
Camera Obscura - Would love this but it's understandable that after Carey's untimely passing, it's highly unlikely.

They dipped their toe in the water at the Boaty Weekender. I don't know how it felt for them though.

Phil_A

Cathal Coughlan recently said a Fatima Mansions reunion would probably never happen, not because of any personal disagreements but because the band members are spread out far out enough over the globe to make it massively impractical

But who knows I guess, a Microdisney reunion did eventually happen and that seemed incredibly unlikely for many years.

bakabaka

Rush could never reform without Neil Peart; they were too much of a family of a group.

iamcoop

I feel like The Smiths probably would've reformed at some point, had Morrissey not turned into Nigel Farage.

markburgle

Quote from: sevendaughters on March 26, 2021, 02:04:05 PM
ABBA would be sad now. Past the moment where I'd want it.

Too late:
https://www.nme.com/news/abba-to-return-with-five-new-tracks-next-year-as-coronavirus-delays-reunion-2712965
https://www.nme.com/news/music/abba-release-first-new-material-35-years-new-songs-i-still-have-faith-in-you-2304583

Sex Pistols seem to be done. Steve Jones said a few years back that he wouldn't even do it for Rolling Stones money now and that he's "over it". Although now they've just revealed a new lawsuit, which has apparently driven wedges ever deeper between the never-best-of-friends (I do like how those lads never went down the route of coming back with just two of them and a couple of randoms though. It's always been the proper band or nothing).

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: iamcoop on March 26, 2021, 04:54:54 PM
I feel like The Smiths probably would've reformed at some point, had Morrissey not turned into Nigel Farage.
Eh, I think even putting Morrissey's politics aside, a full reunion would never have happened due to his feelings towards Mike Joyce. I could have seen him and Marr (who might, of course, state that would have been a proper Smiths reunion) perhaps writing/recording something together, but the latter wouldn't go near that now.

Chicory

Quote from: Crabwalk on March 26, 2021, 04:40:57 PM
They dipped their toe in the water at the Boaty Weekender. I don't know how it felt for them though.

I must confess, that chugged over my radar like a big Scottish indie barge.

JaDanketies

Brundle-Fly

The full lineup of XTC?  Been over twenty years now, so I'm not holding my breath. Never. Going. To. Happen.  Even ex-bandmembers, Colin Moulding and Terry Chambers TC & I barely lasted a year.

SpiderChrist

Quote from: Shameless Custard on March 26, 2021, 01:26:06 PM

The Style Council

They reunited for a Sky Arts documentary just recently, performed It's A Very Deep Sea iirc

non capisco

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on March 26, 2021, 05:33:10 PM
The full lineup of XTC?  Been over twenty years now, so I'm not holding my breath. Never. Going. To. Happen.  Even ex-bandmembers, Colin Moulding and Terry Chambers TC & I barely lasted a year.

Still kicking myself I didn't bother my arse going to Swindon and seeing one of the TC & I gigs, blithely assuming they'd be a longer term proposition who'd play closer to me in the near future. I think it really was Colin closing a chapter for himself by getting to play some of his post-English Settlement tunes in front of an audience a few times and then that was enough, which I can totally respect. I think Terry now plays drums in an XTC tribute band, doesn't he? His live whistle was obviously whetted at least.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: non capisco on March 26, 2021, 05:56:33 PM
Still kicking myself I didn't bother my arse going to Swindon and seeing one of the TC & I gigs, blithely assuming they'd be a longer term proposition who'd play closer to me in the near future. I think it really was Colin closing a chapter for himself by getting to play some of his post-English Settlement tunes in front of an audience a few times and then that was enough, which I can totally respect. I think Terry now plays drums in an XTC tribute band, doesn't he? His live whistle was obviously whetted at least.

Yes, Terry formed EX-TC and had planned a load of gigs last year but obviously that all got kiboshed.*sigh*

Apparently, Colin felt a bit overwhelmed by the expectation and even the adulation, so went back to tending his fruit, tending his fruit, a man's got to have a hobby.

daf

Quote from: LORD BAD VIBE on March 26, 2021, 01:32:56 PM
Doubt Partridge and Moulding will get it together again either.

Unusually for bands of this vintage (starting off around 1972) all the members are still alive - (even Dave Cartner and Johnny Perkins - who don't really count!)

Partridge has reportedly a huge shit-load of songs recorded & ready to be released in some form or other (probably another fuzzy warbles-type set) - so the creative juices are still flowing there.

holyzombiejesus

I'm sure we'll never see any of the line-ups of Felt reform. Lawrence just seems so dead set against bands who split then get back together again, to the extent that he suggested that James Murphy should be sent to prison for reforming LCD Soundsystem.

Initially, I was really disappointed that Arab Strap reformed. Everything about them seemed tied in to a specific period of their/ our lives, and I was aghast that they'd try and replicate that as men in their 40s with children (in Aidan's case, not sure about MM). That new album isn't too bad although there seems to have been a switch from writing in the 1st person to 3rd.

Quote from: lankyguy95 on March 26, 2021, 12:14:37 PM
Cocteau Twins won't. The (former) relationship between between Liz Fraser and Robin Guthrie is too volatile by all accounts. Their botched reunion at Coachella fifteen years ago was cancelled for that reason.

Simon Raymonde said that he would've made 1.5 million from that tour. Money isn't getting them back together that's for sure.

buzby

Hook is never getting back into New Order. Too much publically-aired bad blood between him and the others now, due to his inability to keep his trap shut. He's presumably happy being the centre of attention of his own tribute band now anyway I guess.

Kankurette

Catatonia. One, Cerys is way too busy being a lifestyle guru/DJ/festival organiser and two, she's apparently made it clear that she doesn't want anything more to do with that part of her life - I think she wants to distance herself from the batshit insane permanently drunk heroin addict of the '90s she used to be. I don't know if she's still in touch with the Catatonia lads but I do remember that one of the reasons they split in 2001 was because she was doing loads of solo stuff outside the band and it caused a lot of friction with the other members. I think Tommy from Space mentioned that he'd asked Cerys to do Tom Jones onstage with him and she said no because she just wants to move on from that time. I wish I could go back in time and see Catatonia and Space playing together when they were starting out, because the only time i saw Catatonia was on my 17th birthday, at some benefit gig, and they split a few months after.

Jack Off Jill did get back together for a few shows, but Jessicka has health issues - I don't know what - and has said she'll never play again. I'm really gutted because I was supposed to see JOJ a few years ago, but I had a fibro flare because I'd been on a long train journey and was too tired to go. I think Babes in Toyland might be buggered too, partly because of Kat's mental health and partly because they booted Maureen Herman out because she wrote an article about Jackie West's rape, criticising Joan Jett's response to it among others, and Lori Barbero produces a band called Fea who are on Jett's label. It's like '90s alt rock telephone. I did get to see them at Primavera, so that was nice.
Quote from: holyzombiejesus on March 26, 2021, 08:27:36 PM
I'm sure we'll never see any of the line-ups of Felt reform. Lawrence just seems so dead set against bands who split then get back together again, to the extent that he suggested that James Murphy should be sent to prison for reforming LCD Soundsystem.

Initially, I was really disappointed that Arab Strap reformed. Everything about them seemed tied in to a specific period of their/ our lives, and I was aghast that they'd try and replicate that as men in their 40s with children (in Aidan's case, not sure about MM). That new album isn't too bad although there seems to have been a switch from writing in the 1st person to 3rd.
I sort of feel like that about Space. On the one hand, they are genuinely fun live, I love Attack of the Mutant 50ft Kebab, and Give Me Your Future was pretty good, even though the way it was handled was terrible, it's hard to get hold of and they ripped off loads of fans (and I will never get over them not releasing Killswitch as the lead single when it's a fan favourite). But I'm not sold on the new stuff, it sounds like they're trying to replicate Spiders and that's just not possible, not least because Andy Parle's dead and Jamie is never coming back. Neither is Yorkie because he and Franny hate each other. I also think Franny needs to get his head out of his arse and stop using his social media for petty football bullshit. Tommy is lovely though.

mrClaypole

The full line up of the Specials.  Too much bad blood there

Natnar

The Rumours era line up of Fleetwood Mac are pretty much fucked now. Despite that fact that it seems Lindsey Buckingham & Mick Fleetwood have buried the hatchet now i can't see Buckingham & Stevie Nicks ever working together again.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: mrClaypole on March 27, 2021, 05:41:07 AM

The Specials never quite managed the full lineup even in their 2009 reunion. Allegedly, because Jerry Dammers was being headstrong. Or rather his manager was having wrangles with The Specials manager (and Terry Hall's manager into the bargain) Surprisingly, Dammers only wanted to play a few big arenas whereas the rest of the band felt they should play medium-size venues which meant more gigs, longer tour. Jerry also insisted they should perform the old hits in an entirely different style (ie:- jazz fusion) and include lots of new material. The others explained that wasn't what the fans wanted but added they were keen to write new numbers for the next tour should it happen. They have always left the door open for him to return.  Obviously, this is as unlikely as Joe Strummer getting back with the remaining three members of The Clash

JaDanketies

Quote from: Natnar on March 27, 2021, 07:25:59 AM
The Rumours era line up of Fleetwood Mac are pretty much fucked now. Despite that fact that it seems Lindsey Buckingham & Mick Fleetwood have buried the hatchet now i can't see Buckingham & Stevie Nicks ever working together again.

idunnosomename

Death

Quote from: JaDanketies on March 26, 2021, 05:07:14 PM
Lostprophets
there is probably no band name quite as irrevocably sullied as this, although they do have a bit of an audience, they would never ever do it. Thank god it happened to such a shit band.

JaDanketies

Quote from: idunnosomename on March 27, 2021, 11:06:16 AM
Death

I saw some Death reunion tour, I believe the singer was some guy who did live vocals for Cynic. They called themselves Death To All. They had a little powerpoint presentation mid-way through about Chuck. It makes me feel like I saw Death live.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: mrClaypole on March 27, 2021, 05:41:07 AM
John Bradbury being dead does also put a nix on the idea.

Kankurette

Quote from: idunnosomename on March 27, 2021, 11:06:16 AM
Death
there is probably no band name quite as irrevocably sullied as this, although they do have a bit of an audience, they would never ever do it. Thank god it happened to such a shit band.
I liked the first album but everything after was shite. I do feel sorry for the non-paedo members though. They'll always be tainted by association.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Kankurette on March 27, 2021, 11:52:59 AM
I liked the first album but everything after was shite. I do feel sorry for the non-paedo members though. They'll always be tainted by association.

They did try and carry on with a new name and a new singer but no one was interested in that.