Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:36:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Bands that will never ever, get back together

Started by turnstyle, March 26, 2021, 11:51:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jockice

Quote from: DrGreggles on April 15, 2021, 10:02:09 AM
Deffo not a loaded question!

FWIW, my old band had a final song that lasted for about 6 minutes (it was really 3 part-songs stuck together) and it had an end section that could go on as long as necessary.
This wasn't for self-indulgent wank purposes though. It was to ensure that our set reached the minimum required time for us to get paid.

I've no real problem with long songs. My favourite Fall number is C' n Cs Mithering. All 7 minutes 36 minutes of it. However if I saw them live (quite unlikely at the moment admittedly) and they doubled the length of it and pissed around doing extra solos etc I'd be quite...er...surprised.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Somewhere in the middle. I saw a Pink Floyd tribute band a couple of years ago, who were so amazingly accurate that I could just have stayed at home and listened to the real band on CD. On the other hand, I'm always a bit disappointed when I see a band live and they don't play the guitar solo right. It makes me wonder if it was really them in the studio, or some session musician.

Quote from: jobotic on April 15, 2021, 10:02:46 AMI stormed out of a BB King gig once. Too many guitar solos.
The two initials should have been warning enough.

chveik

i heard that Kanye & Jay-Z once played "N*** in Paris" eleven consecutive times at a gig. it's a good song but that's taking a piss a bit.

Jockice

Pulp doing their extended last song of the set version of Common People is always a joy of course. But that's the exception that proves the rule.

And talking of bands who made it big in that period, I remember Bernard Butler moaning that Brett Anderson used to insist on stopping songs live before the guitarist got the chance to go off on a flight of instrumental fancy. Now I think that on balance Bernard is probably the most talented of the two but I'm Team Brett on that one. Just play the sodding songs, don't piss around.

crankshaft

Quote from: Jockice on April 15, 2021, 09:54:55 PM
Pulp doing their extended last song of the set version of Common People is always a joy of course. But that's the exception that proves the rule.

And talking of bands who made it big in that period, I remember Bernard Butler moaning that Brett Anderson used to insist on stopping songs live before the guitarist got the chance to go off on a flight of instrumental fancy. Now I think that on balance Bernard is probably the most talented of the two but I'm Team Brett on that one. Just play the sodding songs, don't piss around.

Anyone who has heard the fucking awful "original" version of "The Wild Ones" on the Dog Man Star reissue should be Team Brett. Truly awful, self-indulgent bullshit that's surprisingly unmusical for the man who co-wrote some of the greatest songs of the early 1990s. Bernard's better instincts deserted him after the similarly gauche "Stay Together" and, a brief glimpse in "Yes" notwithstanding, have never returned.

famethrowa

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on April 15, 2021, 05:16:41 PM
Somewhere in the middle. I saw a Pink Floyd tribute band a couple of years ago, who were so amazingly accurate that I could just have stayed at home and listened to the real band on CD. On the other hand, I'm always a bit disappointed when I see a band live and they don't play the guitar solo right. It makes me wonder if it was really them in the studio, or some session musician.

Well the Floyd band was probably using a lot of backing tracks and just playing along. So many bands do that nowadays and I hate it, but it gets the job done.

On the subject of guitar solos being right, they probably did play it originally, but they did it in a nice comfy studio, had 20 goes at it, and stitched together the best bits with editing software.

There's always been a rumour that Slash didn't play the second half of the solo in Sweet Child O Mine, some studio hack did it. But it's not a particularly difficult solo, just a lot of noodling about the scales? So who cares.

Jockice

Quote from: crankshaft on April 15, 2021, 10:07:55 PM
Anyone who has heard the fucking awful "original" version of "The Wild Ones" on the Dog Man Star reissue should be Team Brett. Truly awful, self-indulgent bullshit that's surprisingly unmusical for the man who co-wrote some of the greatest songs of the early 1990s. Bernard's better instincts deserted him after the similarly gauche "Stay Together" and, a brief glimpse in "Yes" notwithstanding, have never returned.

I like Stay Together. The early Suede single I have a real problem with is We Are The Pigs. Tuneless shit. Worst track on the album yet the first single off it. Can anyone explain that?

greenman

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on April 15, 2021, 05:16:41 PM

The actual Pink Floyd weren't quite as focused on re creating studio versions of songs in a live setting as the NME lambastings at the time made them out to be, even during their "rock" years.

Gilmour and Snowey White(who did actually play the studio solo on the 8-track Pigs on the Wing) extending part 8 of Shine On in 77.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZSjhG0YQ_4

Icehaven

Quote from: Jockice on April 16, 2021, 08:28:12 AM
I like Stay Together. The early Suede single I have a real problem with is We Are The Pigs. Tuneless shit. Worst track on the album yet the first single off it. Can anyone explain that?

Just personal taste, because I love that song. Could live without the children chanting at the end though.

SteveDave

I remember buying it, hearing "Killing Of A Flashboy" on the b-side and never playing the a-side again. It contains one of my favourite lines of the Britpop era "And that shitter with the pout, won't be putting it about no more" Lovely stuff. 

holyzombiejesus

I'd have put money on Brett Anderson being cancelled by now.

DrGreggles

Brett Anderson's voice should have been cancelled a long time ago.

Nah We are the Pigs is fucking ace so I can't explain it I'm afraid. Maybe you need re-evaluate your incorrect opinion?

Jockice

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on April 16, 2021, 03:46:32 PM
Nah We are the Pigs is fucking ace so I can't explain it I'm afraid. Maybe you need re-evaluate your incorrect opinion?

No chance. Whatsoever. The Wild Ones and New Generation were both fab though.

crankshaft

Quote from: Jockice on April 16, 2021, 04:21:54 PM
No chance. Whatsoever. The Wild Ones and New Generation were both fab though.

Sony begged them to release New Generation as the first single but Brett was adamant it had to be We Are The Pigs. I love them both.

Icehaven

New Generation is alright but I never rated it as a single. We Are The Pigs is fantastic though, and how Killing of a Flashboy wasn't on the album when the pretty weak "The Power" was has always perturbed me.

Hundhoon

The La''s will never release that second album, Lee Mavers is the most self sabotaging musician I have ever known the quality of the demos i have heard...i have heard quite a few songs recorded never released since their last album in 1990.
About 10 songs each one is amazing. Lee Mavers is infuriating, he barely released the first album only did because of contractual duty. It was a  masterpiece he said it was shit.
Deliberately not releasing mindblowing material. Due to a personality flaw

DrGreggles

Quote from: Hundhoon on April 16, 2021, 10:13:32 PM
The La''s will never release that second album, Lee Mavers is the most self sabotaging musician I have ever known the quality of the demos i have heard...i have heard quite a few songs recorded never released since their last album in 1990.
About 10 songs each one is amazing. Lee Mavers is infuriating, he barely released the first album only did because of contractual duty. It was a  masterpiece he said it was shit.
Deliberately not releasing mindblowing material. Due to a personality flaw

Didn't the record company just release what they'd recorded behind Mavers' back?

The Culture Bunker

I never quite understood the Mavers worship. I thought the La's stuff was sometimes good, but mainly 'alright' at best - in the end, his lasting legacy was being partly responsible for inflicting Cast on us, for which he will surely burn in hell.

Kankurette

He's one of the few big name musicians from Liverpool who supports Everton.

Poor bastard.

peanutbutter

Quote from: crankshaft on April 15, 2021, 10:07:55 PM
Ooof, I quite like Stay Together but only as a one off.

Back as a teen I always assumed Butler was the key talent and they lost a lot when he left, but at this stage he kinda just comes across as a technically highly proficient facilitator. Other than Yes he's done nothing at all of note and even it hasn't aged too well imo

Quote from: chveik on April 15, 2021, 08:11:40 PM
i heard that Kanye & Jay-Z once played "N*** in Paris" eleven consecutive times at a gig. it's a good song but that's taking a piss a bit.
Iirc they played it 3 times most shows on the tour but decided to see how far they could push it in Paris

Tbf doing the big hit 3 times in a row is pretty solid idea, especially a song like that where each version will feel a little more intense than the last, and pushing it for one night is alright (assuming you play other songs too).
Quote from: The Culture Bunker on April 16, 2021, 11:44:09 PM
I never quite understood the Mavers worship. I thought the La's stuff was sometimes good, but mainly 'alright' at best - in the end, his lasting legacy was being partly responsible for inflicting Cast on us, for which he will surely burn in hell.
It's the mystery of what could have been. Iirc There She Goes Again is basically the only official release he actually sanctioned and everything was looking pretty promising.

Hundhoon

Quote from: DrGreggles on April 16, 2021, 11:16:53 PM
Didn't the record company just release what they'd recorded behind Mavers' back?

The Las debut album sounds like it could have been recorded in 2 days, it took three years to record it, they had about 7 different producers.between 1987-1990, such was the faith in the record company towards Lee Mavers.

3 or 4 versions of the album have been released each recorded by a different producer  they all sound really different,  the songs are so strong, they sound interesting on each version
The record company spent over a million on it, lost patience with him  and released the Steve lilywhite version, to Lee mavers unhappiness.

JohnnyCouncil

Quote from: Jockice on April 15, 2021, 09:54:55 PM

Love the extended (extended extended) version of Stay Together but agree that Suede are a band that should just crack on.

Edit:
I see Stay Together has been mentioned a bit, I know Anderson hates this one but it's inclusion on The Best Album in the world ever part 2 either introduced me to the band / or reaffirmed after Trash. Love the melodrama.

gmoney

After reading Mark Lanegan's book I'm fairly confident that Screaming Trees won't ever get back together, given he seems to despise the main songwriter and guitarist.

Jockice

Quote from: SteveDave on April 16, 2021, 08:50:27 AM
I remember buying it, hearing "Killing Of A Flashboy" on the b-side and never playing the a-side again. It contains one of my favourite lines of the Britpop era "And that shitter with the pout, won't be putting it about no more" Lovely stuff.

If we're doing Suede b-sides can I put a word in for The Big Time, Whipsnade and Jumble Sale Mums?

I can? Thanks.

I think Marr had already written off a reunion after he spent some time with Morrissey around the time of the trial and realized there was nothing left there. They had become strangers. Morrissey coming out of the closet as BNP-lite just hammered one more nail in the coffin.

niat

Quote from: gmoney on April 18, 2021, 08:47:21 AM
After reading Mark Lanegan's book I'm fairly confident that Screaming Trees won't ever get back together, given he seems to despise the main songwriter and guitarist.

After reading Mark Lanegan's book, I'm surprised that Mark Lanegan is still together.

Kankurette