Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:08:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Bands that will never ever, get back together

Started by turnstyle, March 26, 2021, 11:51:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spiteface

The door is well and truly closed on getting all four original members of the Smashing Pumpkins playing together again after the rather public falling out between Billy Corgan and D'arcy. I don't think she'd have been up to the task of playing the kind of 3-hour sets the band was doing, though. Weird that they now have a bloke on bass (Peter Hook's kid), that's a first.

And as much as people keep speculating, I don't see Oasis returning either. I don't want it anyway, and I was a fan back then.

idunnosomename

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on March 27, 2021, 11:59:12 AM
They did try and carry on with a new name and a new singer but no one was interested in that.
i had a look on setlist.fm, to confirm they dont even touch the old songs. Usually you'd think eventually they'd be able to but the enormity of watkins's crimes means theyve had all their 00s success as musicians destroyed like nothing else. Royalties as well. Do feel a wee bit sorry for them.

purlieu

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on March 27, 2021, 11:59:12 AM
They did try and carry on with a new name and a new singer but no one was interested in that.
No Devotion, with Thursday's Geoff Rickly on vocals. They don't sound remotely like Lostprophets. Apparently their second album is out this year.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: idunnosomename on March 27, 2021, 12:24:47 PM
i had a look on setlist.fm, to confirm they dont even touch the old songs. Usually you'd think eventually they'd be able to but the enormity of watkins's crimes means theyve had all their 00s success as musicians destroyed like nothing else. Royalties as well. Do feel a wee bit sorry for them.

Yeah it was a tough situation for them, they basically had to start again from scratch, can't even perform old songs.

Quote from: purlieu on March 27, 2021, 12:33:23 PM
No Devotion, with Thursday's Geoff Rickly on vocals. They don't sound remotely like Lostprophets. Apparently their second album is out this year.

There was no way they were going to get away with sounding like Lostprophets but with a different singer, would have been too similar.

chveik

Quote from: idunnosomename on March 27, 2021, 12:24:47 PM

there was some speculation at the time that they were aware of his actions

Spiteface

Wasn't it an ex-partner of his that suggested the band knew?

I seem to remember she tried to tell people but because it was a pretty nasty breakup or something, no one believed her.

I might be remembering this wrong.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: chveik on March 27, 2021, 12:57:25 PM
there was some speculation at the time that they were aware of his actions

Quote from: Lostprophets statement
Many of you understandably want to know if we knew what Ian was doing. To be clear: We did not. We knew that Ian was a difficult character.

No fucking shit, boys.

Fr.Bigley

The Travelling Wilburys. Not because Petty, Big O and Harrison are gone..but Bob Dylan Is shite. pass it on.

Spiteface

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on March 27, 2021, 01:04:34 PM
No fucking shit, boys.

They probably just thought he was a regular twat like the rest of us.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Spiteface on March 27, 2021, 01:10:08 PM
They probably just thought he was a regular twat like the rest of us.

Part of me thinks, of course they knew nothing about it, it's not the kind of thing Watkins would brag to them about, he's gonna keep it quiet. But at the same time, being that close to him for that long, being on tour with him all those years and seeing him with their young female fans, they must have known something was up besides him being difficult and having an ego.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on March 27, 2021, 11:35:51 AM
John Bradbury being dead does also put a nix on the idea.

The sad irony was that 'Brad' was always the healthiest, fittest member of the band by far, apparently.

idunnosomename

people always say Bolt Thrower but I don't quite see why it's so absolutely set in stone just cause of what they said at the time. even with Memoriam going on.

not much money in it for anyone of course.

Oz Oz Alice

Quote from: buzby on March 26, 2021, 08:47:08 PM
Hook is never getting back into New Order. Too much publically-aired bad blood between him and the others now, due to his inability to keep his trap shut. He's presumably happy being the centre of attention of his own tribute band now anyway I guess.

Until he runs out of New Order albums to cover in their entirety and has to consider playing Music Complete as well. Then realises that actually it didn't really miss his input that much and not allowing himself to consider this as a reality rejoins the band. Thats what I'd like to see happen anyway, being a huge New Order fan, but I recognise it probably won't. On one hand they don't need him on the other hand Barney's songwriting is pretty dire as of late anyway (as Be a Rebel demonstrated last year).

kngen

Edited: Potentially libelous

JaDanketies

If I saw the remaining members of Lostprophets and they didn't even play Shinobi vs Dragon Ninja I'd feel ripped off

Oz Oz Alice

Perhaps Peter Hook's next move after finishing the Waiting For The Siren's Call tour should be to become the singer in a rebooted non nonce Lostprophets.

Quote from: Spiteface on March 27, 2021, 01:03:59 PM
Wasn't it an ex-partner of his that suggested the band knew?

I seem to remember she tried to tell people but because it was a pretty nasty breakup or something, no one believed her.

I might be remembering this wrong.

I think it was an ex-partner who dobbed him into the police. He also had an affair with the wife of one of his band mates and they all had to decide if it was worth breaking the successful band up over. Made the difficult decision to keep going, only for it all to be completely ruined forever anyway a few years later.

lankyguy95

Quote from: thecuriousorange on March 27, 2021, 04:55:59 PM
He also had an affair with the wife of one of his band mates...
The more I learn about this guy etc

sutin

Quote from: Chicory on March 26, 2021, 03:44:00 PM
Camera Obscura - Would love this but it's understandable that after Carey's untimely passing, it's highly unlikely.

They played shows after Carey died (including at B&S' Boaty Weekender) and have said several times in the last year that they're ready to record a new album.

I wish I could be more excited because they used to be one of my favourite bands, but Tracyanne being a transphobe on Twitter ruined them for me, sigh.

sutin

Sonic Youth are a good call. Kim and Thurston on a stage together again seems very, very unlikely.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: sutin on March 27, 2021, 05:33:59 PM
I wish I could be more excited because they used to be one of my favourite bands, but Tracyanne being a transphobe on Twitter ruined them for me, sigh.

What?! Say it ain't so.

phes

Quote from: Kankurette on March 26, 2021, 10:18:41 PM
I think she wants to distance herself from the batshit insane permanently drunk heroin addict of the '90s she used to be.

wondered why Catatonia were always getting replaced as a support act. Think I went to two or three gigs they were no-shows at around 94

Kankurette

I don't think Cerys was on the smack then, that was later. She was a massive alkie though.

idunnosomename

Quote from: JaDanketies on March 27, 2021, 04:01:13 PM
If I saw the remaining members of Lostprophets and they didn't even play Shinobi vs Dragon Ninja I'd feel ripped off
they could just play immigrant song instead

Beach Boys with both Brian Wilson and Mike Love, though it would be very funny to see.

ajsmith2

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on March 28, 2021, 03:50:59 AM
Beach Boys with both Brian Wilson and Mike Love, though it would be very funny to see.

Might happen next year for the 60th. Al Jardine seemed confident in a recent interview.

sutin

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on March 27, 2021, 05:49:57 PM
What?! Say it ain't so.

Sorry man, her and Francis MacDonald were 'gender critical' Gl*nner defenders. It really bummed me out.

Brundle-Fly

Elvis Costello & The Attractions.  Bruce Thomas burnt his bridges there. From what I've heard, he'd have new ones constructed simply to enjoy torching them all over again.

Costello responded to his hatchet job autobiography, The Big Wheel with the song, How to Be Dumb

Sample lyrics

Don't you know how to be dumb?
Like a building thrown up overnight in one of those reverse earthquakes
Trapped in the house of the perpetual sucker
Where bitterness always ends so pitifully
You always had to dress up your envy in some half-remembered
Philosophy
Now you're masquerading as pale powdered genius
Whose ever bad intention has been purged
You could've walked out any time you wanted but face it you
Didn't have the courage
I guess that makes you a full time hypocrite or some kind of
Twisted dilettante
Funny though people don't usually get so ugly 'til they think
They know what they want
Scratch your own head stupid
Count up to three
Roll over on your back
Repeat after me
Don't you know how to be dumb?

thugler

Quote from: Shameless Custard on March 26, 2021, 01:26:06 PM

Pixies, with Kim Deal

They already did this, didn't make a record (unless you count bam thwock), but saw them live during this time and it was wonderful.

BeardFaceMan

I don't think we're going to see any kind of classic Machine Head line-up again, Robb Flynn seems like too much of a control freak for that to happen.