Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 11:29:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Bands that will never ever, get back together

Started by turnstyle, March 26, 2021, 11:51:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brundle-Fly

Slade.  Even thirty years ago. The original line up are all still on Earth but Noddy made the right decision to quit when he did.

The Stranglers. Obviously, Dave has left us and Jet has retired, but there is no way we shall ever see JJ and Hugh in the same room again. That rift has been thirty years now. Although, I was astonished that the original lineup of The Damned managed to reconcile for these gigs that didn't happen in 2020. They're hoping to play in July but I'm not convinced. How gutting for the fans to have waited all this time for a dream to finally come true.

Shaky

Quote from: iamcoop on March 26, 2021, 04:33:12 PM
https://www.fccfreeradio.com/kyuss-world-radio-58-josh-homme-and-the-circus-leaves-town-turns-25-7-12-20-1-24-21/

He's obviously warming to the idea of being more open to Kyuss generally as there's no way he'd have done an hour interview exclusively dedicated to them, even up to a couple of years ago.

I'd 100% see a Kyuss reunion show, oddly they're one of the few bands I'd like to see reform and not make any new stuff whatsoever. Just an hour of them absolutely smashing through the back catalogue would be fine for me.

My main concern would be Garcia...I've seen him a few times in different band incarnations and every time he's seemed bored and disinterested.

I saw Kyuss Lives whenever they were around and even with Garcia, Bjork and Oliveri, it just didn't work without Homme's presence. Garcia really, really seemed as if he didn't want to be there and that made the whole thing very flat.

Kankurette

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on March 28, 2021, 02:46:33 PM
Slade.  Even thirty years ago. The original line up are all still on Earth but Noddy made the right decision to quit when he did.

The Stranglers. Obviously, Dave has left us and Jet has retired, but there is no way we shall ever see JJ and Hugh in the same room again. That rift has been thirty years now. Although, I was astonished that the original lineup of The Damned managed to reconcile for these gigs that didn't happen in 2020. They're hoping to play in July but I'm not convinced. How gutting for the fans to have waited all this time for a dream to finally come true.
In the wake of Dave's death, I'm even more glad I got to see them at Rebellion. They were a lot of fun.

machotrouts

Quote from: thecuriousorange on March 27, 2021, 04:55:59 PMHe also had an affair with the wife of one of his band mates...

Marrying a baby is pretty sus tbh

iamcoop

Quote from: Kankurette on March 28, 2021, 03:11:11 PM
In the wake of Dave's death, I'm even more glad I got to see them at Rebellion. They were a lot of fun.

As sad as Dave's passing was (and it was for me, they're my favourite band) he was pretty fucked towards the end. I believe he suffered from quite bad arthritis in his hands and the last few times I saw them the keys were all over the shop. (Always delivered with a smile and knowing shrug though).

He'd also got these horrible new digital synths that just sounded terrible to my ears, claiming Hammond organs were too temperamental and difficult to get the parts for to tour with which always seemed odd to me given I've played with loads of bands when I was gigging that used a hammond (even on the local circuit..)

Ah well.

I wish they'd have knocked it on the head when Jet stop playing with them to be honest but I'd always trudge out and see them deliver the hits whenever they toured. Hugh seems like an complete weapon these days though so to agree with what Brundle said above  they'll never be in the same room together again, let alone play.

dr beat

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on March 28, 2021, 02:46:33 PM

Don't they make an absolutely crazy amount of money on the royalties for Merry Christmas, something like £500k a year?

bigfatheart

Big Black did a four-song one-off reunion for Touch & Go's 25th anniversary gig well over a decade ago now, there's no chance of anything more than that. Albini's too busy producing engineering for Shellac to be more than a hobby band, let alone reviving a band who've been split up for over 30 years. Jeff Pezzati's got Naked Raygun, Santiago Durango's presumably busy lawyering, Dave Riley's dead and Roland thinks the rest of them are all cunts, probably.

There's enough surviving members of the Move that a classic-era reunion would be possible, but it won't happen. I don't think Roy Wood and Bev Bevan are particularly friendly these days, what with Bev touring under the band's name for a few years[nb]12, apparently - almost twice the length they were actually together in the first place. 'Kin 'ell.[/nb], and I think Roy's happier doing his solo 'play all the hits backed by hired hands' thing.

Pranet

This is a thought more adjacent to this thread than directly related- but when Mark E Smith was alive and Brix and the Extricated started I was dying for some promoter to offer enough money for MES to join them in a tour of a sort of classic line up just because it would have pissed off a certain type of Fall fan something rotten.

daf

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on March 28, 2021, 01:17:27 PMCostello responded to his hatchet job autobiography, The Big Wheel with the song, How to Be Dumb
I think calling 'The Big Wheel' a hatchet job is pretty harsh. It's a standard 'touring in a band is incredibly tedious', albeit well written, and I never quite understood Costello's gripe. Perhaps he didn't like the idea of being shown, in some ways, as just another rock star.

Not sure how telling it is that I've never really enjoyed a Costello album without the full Attractions backing him. Even 'My Aim is True' I can pretty much do without bar the singles.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Pranet on March 28, 2021, 04:48:31 PM
This is a thought more adjacent to this thread than directly related- but when Mark E Smith was alive and Brix and the Extricated started I was dying for some promoter to offer enough money for MES to join them in a tour of a sort of classic line up just because it would have pissed off a certain type of Fall fan something rotten.

I don't think he would have done it , no matter how much money was offered. He went to his grave persistently dissing Brix and Steve Hanley in interviews.

danwho9

Pranet

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on March 28, 2021, 05:14:21 PM
I don't think he would have done it , no matter how much money was offered. He went to his grave persistently dissing Brix and Steve Hanley in interviews.

You are almost certainly right. God it would have been funny though.

JaDanketies

A non-blood 'relative' is the replacement for Noddy in Slade.  #claimtofame

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on March 28, 2021, 05:09:00 PM
Not sure how telling it is that I've never really enjoyed a Costello album without the full Attractions backing him. Even 'My Aim is True' I can pretty much do without bar the singles.

#ReleaseTheAttractionsCut

sutin

Quote from: ajsmith2 on March 27, 2021, 12:01:21 PM
Kinks

That one's more likely than most on this thread TBF. Ray and Dave are still apparently working on some stuff together, and they're on the best terms they've been in years. Mick and Nobby would be up for it too I imagine, and there you have Village Green-era Kinks.

Phil_A

Jello Biafra and the rest of the Dead Kennedys, due to a horrendous amount of bad blood over unpaid royalties.

daf

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on March 28, 2021, 05:09:00 PMNot sure how telling it is that I've never really enjoyed a Costello album without the full Attractions backing him. Even 'My Aim is True' I can pretty much do without bar the singles.
Quote from: Egyptian Feast on March 28, 2021, 06:13:27 PM
#ReleaseTheAttractionsCut

The closest were likely to get is on the 2007 2xCD 'Deluxe Edition' - which contains a very nicely recorded live gig from 1977 where you get to hear The Attractions tackle almost * all the My Aim is True songs  (plus B-sides) :

* ('I'm Not Angry' is the only one missing)

Kankurette

I do love some of his solo stuff - I Want You and Tramp The Dirt Down in particular - but his Attractions songs will always be my favourite.

Re Dead Kennedys, didn't they tweet something dodgy about BLM/Trump? Certainly not something Jello would have approved of.

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: Kankurette on March 28, 2021, 07:30:00 PM
Re Dead Kennedys, didn't they tweet something dodgy about BLM/Trump? Certainly not something Jello would have approved of.

I'm sure I heard somewhere this was partly the reason Jello joined Twitter recently.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: daf on March 28, 2021, 07:21:38 PM
The closest were likely to get is on the 2007 2xCD 'Deluxe Edition' - which contains a very nicely recorded live gig from 1977 where you get to hear The Attractions tackle almost * all the My Aim is True songs  (plus B-sides)
Does sort of remind me that it should be law that anyone who says "actually, did you know Huey Lewis and the News played on Elvis Costello's first album?" be slapped with a fish.

daf

Also not the same 'Clover' who were mistakenly credited with the 1973 popsike nugget Ice Cream Man on a few compilations. That turned out to be a British studio band called 'Kidrock' *  - who appear to have invented the Gorky's Zygotic Mynci sound 20 years early!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
* (no, not the American one!)

Goldentony

the Dead Kennedys thing went from DK's winning that lawsuit which if you read the mountains of boring shit on it all actually seems fair enough on the bands part for wanting a cut of the massively popular records they were on, but then all that shit about commercials and licensing made it shitter for everyone else and apparently Alternative Tentacles lost a lot of cash short and long term because of court costs and then future sales. Everyone came out of it kind of fucked but it did actually mean reissues and archive stuff coming out.

The never ending tours with increasingly shit and weird singers and changing lyrics didn't help and they sort of just did that into irrelevancy until EBR let the republican in him make a complete tit on himself on twitter, giving Jello the easiest six in ashes history

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on March 28, 2021, 05:09:00 PM
I think calling 'The Big Wheel' a hatchet job is pretty harsh. It's a standard 'touring in a band is incredibly tedious', albeit well written, and I never quite understood Costello's gripe. Perhaps he didn't like the idea of being shown, in some ways, as just another rock star.

I think it was Elvis that thought it was a 'hatchet job', not me. It's a great read. I liked the story of the band checking out a hotel while trying to find Steve Nieve.  'The Keyboard Player' was soon spotted sleeping in the large fish tank in the lobby as if it was a bath.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: dr beat on March 28, 2021, 04:18:19 PM
Don't they make an absolutely crazy amount of money on the royalties for Merry Christmas, something like £500k a year?

Songwriters, Holder and Lea must get the lion's share of that. I wonder how much the others get?

daf

Goldentony

don't they do Slade II aka SLADE DOS aka SLADE ZWEI aka SLADE DER DOPPELGANGER SLADE together around Christmas? think they've both had books out too, cannot imagine they get fuck all from Slade but aye not as much as the two who dom't have to be in Slade II, they have to have something though right, what does Joe Pasquale do for example, maybe a better musical example, what does Eddie Grant to day to day when he isn't doing a festival or two? what do the rest of the Equals do? what's Harpo got on?