Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 01:49:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Mark Lanegan's Book

Started by Dirty Boy, March 26, 2021, 05:30:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dirty Boy

Very, very good indeed. I'm not really a fan beyond a couple of his own records, his guesting with QOTSA and Screaming Trees wonderful Dust, but this is an insane autobiography. Read it and be amazed Lanegan still breathes, let alone has an amazing voice.

All I Know live on Jools Holland. Josh Homme on guitar, Lanegan as scarecrow
Gospel Plow
Traveler
Queens - Hanging Tree
Song For The Dead (live)

iamcoop

He's made loads of great solo stuff, 'Bubblegum' probably being my favourite of his.

Been meaning to read this for a while. You could probably throw Screaming Trees into the 'Bands that are never getting back together' thread. Boy do those guys hate each other.

Dirty Boy

I'll listen to that, i only know Scraps At Midnight and Gospel For The Holy Ghost.

He's lived a life alright, falling out with his band is the least of it. The book is often funny (his spat with Liam Gallagher and his rent-a-heavies confirms everything i ever suspected about the talentless, swaggering cunt), but the last few chapters almost read like something from a Hubert Selby novel. Grim doesn't come close.

Kankurette

Not a huge fan of Lanegan but I like a few of his songs, and I know he thinks Liam Gallagher is a Grade A cunt. I should get it, I bet he's full of interesting stories. Although reading about addiction is kind of triggering for me - I can't read my Catatonia biogs anymore for that reason.

Dirty Boy

Reading this a second time and i'm not sure this Lanegan chap is such a nice fellow. Although, i like how a crack smoking/manufacturing, friend's girlfriend fucking, bitterness fuelled drugged up waster is still less of a piece of shit than Liam Gallagher.

I love a bit of Lanegan on occasion, Field Songs and Whiskey for the Holy Ghost especially. I've always perceived him to be a mardy, surly fucker though and top of the list of famous musicians I would never approach (if I was the type of person who would ever do that). Haven't read a music bio in many years but I might get this one.

Famous Mortimer

I saw him with the Gutter Twins a while back, and they were great. I knew absolutely nothing about him, though, so I might pick this up.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Dirty Boy on June 25, 2021, 08:26:56 PM
Reading this a second time and i'm not sure this Lanegan chap is such a nice fellow. Although, i like how a crack smoking/manufacturing, friend's girlfriend fucking, bitterness fuelled drugged up waster is still less of a piece of shit than Liam Gallagher.

He does come across as a bit of a prick. Not a nasty person as such, but quite self-involved, sour and oblivious. However, his encounter with Liam Gallagher - despite being drenched in "needless to say, I had the last laugh" self-satisfaction - is really fucking funny, and I daresay it's accurate.

Z-Model Ford

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on June 25, 2021, 08:54:47 PM
I love a bit of Lanegan on occasion, Field Songs and Whiskey for the Holy Ghost especially. I've always perceived him to be a mardy, surly fucker though and top of the list of famous musicians I would never approach (if I was the type of person who would ever do that). Haven't read a music bio in many years but I might get this one.

I've seen him live a handful of times (in fact his gig at the Roundhouse was the last one I got to before LOCKDOWN HELL descended) and he's never struck as the sort of bloke to break into a spontaneous jig, put it that way

the ouch cube

One bit that stuck with me was the encounter with Anthony Kiedis' dad. Nothing bad actually happens but Kiedis Sr (aka Blackie Dammett) comes across like one of the more menacing characters in a True Detective episode.

Also the allegations about Greg Sage of the Wipers