Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 09:52:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Alba Stereo System

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, March 26, 2021, 07:32:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-56539696

Boom boom, let me hear you say wayo

QuoteFormer SNP leader Alex Salmond has announced the creation of a new pro-independence party which will contest the Scottish Parliament election.

The former first minister said he would be among the candidates who will stand for the Alba Party on regional lists.

Mr Salmond said the aim was to build "a supermajority for independence" at Holyrood after the election in May.

Quote"The party's strategic aims are clear and unambiguous - to achieve a successful, socially just and environmentally responsible independent country," he said.

"We intend to contribute policy ideas to assist Scotland's economic recovery and to help build an independence platform to face the new political realities."

It plans to field at least four candidates on the regional lists in every part of the country.

seepage

Alberon

Scottish wing of Change UK?

lipsink

Did he get off all the rapey charges then? How did that happen?

greencalx

I'm desperately trying to backronymise it. Best I've got so far is Al's Bampot Alliance, but I'm sure we (you) can do better.

the hum

Alex's Lecherous Bastard Alliance?

Jockice

I'm just hoping they have a candidate called T Ross.

pigamus

Quote from: greencalx on March 26, 2021, 09:00:04 PM
I'm desperately trying to backronymise it. Best I've got so far is Al's Bampot Alliance, but I'm sure we (you) can do better.

Auchenshoogle Looney Broon Alliance

Icehaven

They should get together with Nia, start a country.

touchingcloth

Alba: Loadsa Bawbags. Alba.

hamfist

mothman

Alex Salmond: he ate all the Pyes.

daf

Jumblegraws

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Oh yeah, aren't they both employees of Russia Today?

daf

Pinball

He's going to need lots of young interns to assist his strenuous efforts.

Cuntbeaks

Sponge faced sex offender.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Fambo Number Mive

Won't this just split the pro-independence vote and make it harder for a second independent referendum to take place? Johnson and Keith must be delighted.

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on March 27, 2021, 01:57:30 PM
Won't this just split the pro-independence vote and make it harder for a second independent referendum to take place? Johnson and Keith must be delighted.

As far as I know, the idea is for them just to field candidates for the proportional representation element of the Holyrood election system. When you vote in a Holyrood election, you choose one first-past-the-post candidate and one party (not necessarily the same party) from the list. Usually the SNP get so many candidates elected outright that the 'top-up' list works against them by letting pro-Union MSPs in via the 'second vote' PR element. The idea of the Salmond party is, on the face of it, to sweep up SNP votes that would otherwise have been rendered meaningless by the hybrid electoral system, and ensure that there is a pro-Indy majority in the parliament by squeezing the Tories, Labour, LibDems etc out of the 'top-up' seats.

But it's bound to lead to division IMO, as Salmond's ego will run rampant and, for instance, there's already been one defection from the SNP to Alba, with no doubt more to follow.

Blinder Data

Kenny MacAskill has defected, becoming the first ever Alba MP. He seemed the likeliest convert based on recent form.

Are there any other "big" names to follow? Alex Neil? George Kerevan?

It's certainly spiced up what was likely to be a very boring election campaign.

Jumblegraws

Joanna Cherry but be giving it serious thought, surely?

Alex Neil was meant to be retiring: he's not standing (for the SNP anyway) this year.

I could definitely see Joanna Cherry defecting to Alba.

the hum

I suspect Cherry will keep her powder dry and wait and see whether the whole thing crashes and burns or not.

Blinder Data

I don't want to sound too parochial but it's funny how the Twitter bon mots (as well as this thread title) are based on Argos electronics when 90% of people north of the border would've understood the meaning and intent behind party name no bother. YOU ENGLISH WILL NEVER UNDERSTAND US

I'm not getting involved in the pronunciation debate though as I have no idea

Put Angus MacNeil down as a maybe

AllisonSays

That picture with the flag is hilarious, fuck me. He looks like he's setting up a Scottish separatist paramilitary gang.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Blinder Data on March 27, 2021, 06:18:59 PM
I don't want to sound too parochial but it's funny how the Twitter bon mots (as well as this thread title) are based on Argos electronics when 90% of people north of the border would've understood the meaning and intent behind party name no bother. YOU ENGLISH WILL NEVER UNDERSTAND US

I'm not getting involved in the pronunciation debate though as I have no idea

Put Angus MacNeil down as a maybe

It's weird you would assume people making a basic connection between the two for the clear purpose of a quick joke don't understand what the party name refers to.