Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 06:52:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Alba Stereo System

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, March 26, 2021, 07:32:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buttgammon

For what it's worth, Mrs G (who speaks and understands a good bit of Scottish Gaelic) pointed out that Salmond hasn't been pronouncing the name correctly, at least in the way Gaelic speakers would.

pigamus

He pronounces it 'Elizabeth Duke'

imitationleather

Alex Salmond looks like an extremely unhealthy man.

the hum

Quote from: Blinder Data on March 27, 2021, 06:18:59 PM

I'm not getting involved in the pronunciation debate though as I have no idea

It's "Alaba". Here's some assistance from Runrig https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIjBcSQkMYE&ab_channel=Malkie

(somewhat ironically you can there see a young Pete Wishart on the keys)

Jumblegraws

Quote from: imitationleather on March 27, 2021, 08:57:30 PM
Alex Salmond looks like an extremely unhealthy man.
There's something really odd about his head and face, and I don't just because he's ever so slightly out of shape. He always reminds me of one of the background extras in a Muppets film, I think it's his eyebrows, they look animatronic.

Blinder Data

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on March 27, 2021, 06:39:25 PM
It's weird you would assume people making a basic connection between the two for the clear purpose of a quick joke don't understand what the party name refers to.

Fair enough - there's just a whiff of "alba is a funny word hur hur" about it, mostly from London blue tick twats, that I find distasteful

the hum

Angus MacNeil looking like the next to join. Always a bit zany, but fallen a long way from his early years in Westminster as the guy who uncovered the expenses scandal https://twitter.com/DailyGael/status/1375953949593853952?s=20 (also - allegedly - a bit of a sleazeball)

The bit in Gaelic roughly translates as "The Gaelic speaking MP for the Western Isles. Who would believe it with views like this".

kekse

neale hanvey is the latest mp to defect

previously suspended by the snp for sharing a soros meme before being readmitted. doesn't seem like great "optics" for either party right now

idunnosomename

just to reiterate my opinion that salmond is a fucking gigantic cunt and he should literally be tossed off a cliff into a pile of cum

canadagoose

I've got a terrible feeling that my Dad might be voting for this shower of wankers. I wish I could dissuade him.

buttgammon

Quote from: the hum on March 28, 2021, 12:16:24 AM
Angus MacNeil looking like the next to join. Always a bit zany, but fallen a long way from his early years in Westminster as the guy who uncovered the expenses scandal https://twitter.com/DailyGael/status/1375953949593853952?s=20 (also - allegedly - a bit of a sleazeball)

The bit in Gaelic roughly translates as "The Gaelic speaking MP for the Western Isles. Who would believe it with views like this".

I can't imagine that going down well in that constituency - what a weirdo.

greencalx

Quote from: canadagoose on March 28, 2021, 07:22:28 AM
I've got a terrible feeling that my Dad might be voting for this shower of wankers. I wish I could dissuade him.

What's the attraction? Is it that the SNP have gone soft on independence? I think that's a bit of a stretch - Sturgeon never misses an opportunity to make the case - but it's also true that our local candidates campaign leaflet mentions independence only in the context of reinstating a closer relationship with Europe.

Blinder Data

Alba now have more MPs in Scotland than Labour!

Key questions are whether the defectors will continue as MPs or whether they'll resign - and would Alba stand in the by-election?

I don't quite understand the criticism from some in SNP that Alba are gaming the electoral system. The system is what it is, it's up to all parties to maximise their vote.

greencalx

Quite.

One possible attraction of defecting to Alba is that they don't seem to be requiring MPs to resign their Westminster seat before standing for election at Holyrood, as the SNP are.

the hum

Quote from: buttgammon on March 28, 2021, 09:27:08 AM
I can't imagine that going down well in that constituency - what a weirdo.

I have a few friends who live out in the Uists and Lewis and can guarantee it will go down well with pretty much no one. I think they were already growing a bit weary of him even before this.

Blinder Data

Sorry, another question: what's to stop SNP MSPs elected on 6 May defecting to Alba afterwards?

I like having two outwardly pro-indy parties - now the Catalonia comparisons hold water! You could mention the Greens but they don't wear it on their sleeves in the same way.

The Greens and SNP are fighting for the same lefty Yes voters. There's an older chunk of the electorate who would vote SNP but never Green - the Tartan Tories, essentially. I don't know if it's substantial enough to get Salmond and co elected though.

I'm really hoping we get some leadership debates. The other parties aren't going to get a look in!

Jumblegraws

Whinge Over Scotland said that "women's rights" would be a prominent feature of this Salmond-led party's manifesto, making it more obvious than ever they will be courting the tartan terf vote.

the hum

Quote from: Blinder Data on March 28, 2021, 12:38:31 PM
Sorry, another question: what's to stop SNP MSPs elected on 6 May defecting to Alba afterwards?

Nothing in theory I guess, although given candidate vetting etc you'd presume they're by and large loyal to the current leadership. That said there are certain veteran MSPs I do wonder about; Fergus Ewing, Richard Lochhead spring to mind.

chveik

i think it shouldn't be allowed for politicians to switch parties so easily after they've been elected

canadagoose

Quote from: greencalx on March 28, 2021, 09:46:36 AM
What's the attraction? Is it that the SNP have gone soft on independence? I think that's a bit of a stretch - Sturgeon never misses an opportunity to make the case - but it's also true that our local candidates campaign leaflet mentions independence only in the context of reinstating a closer relationship with Europe.
I'm not too sure; he just seems to hold a candle for Salmond, and would probably jump at the chance of a "supermajority". I'll try to convince him not to, but it probably won't work.

I've got a horrible feeling they might pip the Greens to the post as the 4th largest party. Maybe even 3rd, in front of Labour. Ugh.

Blinder Data

Quote from: canadagoose on March 28, 2021, 08:58:03 PM
I've got a horrible feeling they might pip the Greens to the post as the 4th largest party. Maybe even 3rd, in front of Labour. Ugh.

Wha? No way. Salmond will be lucky if he has any mates with him after the final count.

Also, I'm beginning to think Scottish Labour are gonna finish second. Douglas Ross is no Ruth Davidson.

the hum

Quote from: Blinder Data on March 28, 2021, 09:44:05 PM
Wha? No way. Salmond will be lucky if he has any mates with him after the final count.

Also, I'm beginning to think Scottish Labour are gonna finish second. Douglas Ross is no Ruth Davidson.

I think there's a reasonable chance of that happening. Something that's being forgotten amongst the Sturgeon Salmond melodrama is that there's a real war of attrition going on between the unionist parties. The LibDems are up a few percent on last time; unlikely to win them any more seats, but may harm the Tory vote enough in rural areas for the SNP to nick a couple of constituency seats. Also (famous last words possibly) but Angus Robertson looks a shoo-in to win Edinburgh Central now Davidson's off (although he stood a good chance of winning it even if she hadn't).

canadagoose

Quote from: Blinder Data on March 28, 2021, 09:44:05 PM

DRoss is hopeless, and seems to keep getting hoodwinked at every opportunity. Sarwar, though? I'm not sure. If Labour are successful they'll have to put forward a strong campaign to do so.

I see the Walloper Party has got some more defectors. All fuds, the lot of them. Remains to be seen whether MacNeil and Cherry will jump over.

Fambo Number Mive

First celebrity to stand for the Alba Party

QuoteFormer boxing champion Alex Arthur has announced he is to stand as an MSP for the forthcoming Scottish election in Alex Salmond's newly formed Alba Party

https://prod.news.stv.tv/politics/former-boxing-champion-to-stand-as-candidate-for-alba-party?top

kekse

he had to rush out an apology for racist and anti-vax tweets within hours lol

Pinball

Help me understand:

Stronger together - EU.
Stronger not together - UK.

The nationalists' policy has the consistency of bullshit.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Pinball on March 31, 2021, 12:42:49 AM
Help me understand:

Stronger together - EU.
Stronger not together - UK.

The nationalists' policy has the consistency of bullshit.

Did the UK have to ask the EU's permission to have a referendum to leave?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: jamiefairlie on March 31, 2021, 03:24:07 AM
Did the UK have to ask the EU's permission to have a referendum to leave?

Almost like the relationship between Scotland and the UK and the UK with the EU is significantly fucking different.

Blinder Data

Did anyone watch the debate? Ross was awful, Sturgeon looked knackered and Sarwar came off best. Rennie was all right but what is point Lib Dems? I'd never heard of Lorna Slater before but she seemed to do ok for the Greens. There was an elephant in the room by the name of Alex though...