Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:04:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Seaspiracy (documentary, 2021)

Started by Thomas, March 27, 2021, 03:54:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thomas

A documentary exploring the excesses and consequences of commercial fishing - including certified, supposedly 'sustainable' practices. I'd give it a watch whether you're toying with vegetarianism or simply interested in where your little fishy on a little dishy comes from.

Main bloke's personal and emotive tone annoyed me for about two minutes (and he illegally uses the word 'trash' instead of 'rubbish'), but that's not very important. Crucially, the documentary targets the individualistic, feelgood narrative that banning plastic straws and using wooden spoons will do the job of saving the oceans.

Post-watch talk:

As is wise, I Googled 'seaspiracy fact check' after viewing, and found accusations of at least one outdated statistic and an overriding vegan agenda, but it's difficult for such criticism to draw from the point of the documentary. The MSC, an organisation that slaps 'sustainable' labels on seafood products, come under fire in the doc. They've provided rather a vague response that seems totally in-keeping with what the documentary itself alleges:

QuoteFisheries certified to the MSC Standard must provide evidence that they are actively minimising unwanted catch. Fisheries that need to improve in this area, can be set goals that they have to meet in order to keep their certificates or risk being suspended.

The MSC don't, however, give any detail on how this 'evidence' is verified - which is exactly what the doc criticises them for in the first place.

If there is a financially motivated 'vegan agenda' involved, it's not something I'd really care to condemn. 'All this consumer cash is being insidiously diverted from commercial fishing and farming into meat-free markets, creating new products and jobs that don't depend on the killing of animals and the destruction of land.' Oh... no?[nb]Dr. Michael Greger is one of the experts who appears in the film. He's probably best-known for his vegan bestseller How Not to Die. It's important to note, however, that 100% of proceeds from Greger's books go to charitable causes.[/nb]

Also, I'd note as well that whilst the filmmaker comes away extolling a meat-free diet, the film highlights fish-eating communities that have suffered because of commercial industry - it doesn't condemn the locals of Liberia or the Faroe Islands, for example, for fishing and even small-scale whaling, even though the filmmaker has a personal moral distaste for these practices.

bgmnts

As if people give a shit about the state of the planet, they just want their tuna and steak until they die.

ProvanFan

The should've released a second, less twatty cut of this for the likes of me without that guy's tiny tears and backwards hat, so we'd have no excuses to avoid facing the cold, hard fish facts.

Pink Gregory

ProvanFan

I'm quite certain I typed the 'y' in 'they'. Must be a board malfunction.

ProvanFan

I've been slowly reading The Outlaw Ocean by Ian Urbina which features Sea Shepherd so it was interesting to see those folk in action, briefly.

Quite a bit of crossover with that book and this documentary. Not so much the fish consumption stuff, but the weak regulations, corruption, slave crews, etc.

St_Eddie