Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 11:40:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Alien Big Cats

Started by holyzombiejesus, March 27, 2021, 04:48:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

holyzombiejesus

Inspired by Buelligan's post...

Quote from: Buelligan on March 27, 2021, 11:03:26 AM
Couple of days ago, I was up on the mountain, following a game track - came across some footprints in dried mud - bugger me, not sure what they were but they were clearly cat, not dog, shaped.  Size wise, though, you wouldn't get much change out of 7cms.  Makes you think.

I thought I'd start a thread, partly in the hope that someone finds a link to that BBC documentary about the man who squirted Mister Muscle near the suspected home of a lynx on Dartmoor.

Anyone ever seen one of these? Are they recognised as existing in the UK or is it just silliness like ghosts and pixies? I got a taxi from Hereford to Hay-on-Wye once and the driver told me that he'd seen one a couple of times in the quiter areas. He said one leapt over a hedge and looked just like the model on the front of a Jaguar car. Seemed like an honest man (he spent the rest of the journey telling us what a cunt Hugh Fernley Whittenstall was).

I'd be more inclined to believe they existed if all the photographic 'evidence' didn't look like this.

Emma Raducanu

I saw the biggest rabbit in my life when I was out running very early this morning. It's hard to say how big it was but I rekon you could have strapped a 3 year old to it for a good ride round.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: DolphinFace on March 27, 2021, 04:51:52 PM
I saw the biggest rabbit in my life when I was out running very early this morning. It's hard to say how big it was but I rekon you could have strapped a 3 year old to it for a good ride round.

Was it a hare cheers

JaDanketies

Buelligan

Spent quite a bit of time round Hereford and Hay, never saw a big cat.  Knew a man who lived near Dorking once, he was exactly like Mike from Spaced in every respect, anyway, he swore to me he'd seen some sort of mountain lion type crossing the road very late one night, I think it was in near Kingswood.  Absolutely no imagination whatsoever, so I tend to believe him. 

seepage

In about 1985 I was minding my own business in my lodgings when I suddenly got an urge to look out the window to the back garden. It was dusk. Massive black cat. Absolutely huge. I was transfixed and just stared for what seemed 10 mins until it wandered off. Hadn't taken anything mind-altering, and I also have absolutely no imagination whatsoever, so believe me.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteIt was dusk. Massive black cat

Was it a hare cheers

steve98

Quote from: seepage on March 27, 2021, 05:19:10 PM
In about 1985 I was minding my own business in my lodgings when I suddenly got an urge to look out the window to the back garden. It was dusk. Massive black cat. Absolutely huge. I was transfixed and just stared for what seemed 10 mins until it wandered off. Hadn't taken anything mind-altering, and I also have absolutely no imagination whatsoever, so believe me.

I see no reason to doubt your claim you saw a massive black cat.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on March 27, 2021, 04:48:29 PM
I'd be more inclined to believe they existed if all the photographic 'evidence' didn't look like this.

That's an owl. It's not even cat shaped.

Buelligan

I think you'll find it's tail shaped[nb]When you see it, you'll shit brix.[/nb]

PlanktonSideburns

flotemysost

To be fair cats, especially black cats, are a pain in the arse to get a decent photo of at the best of times. Trying to get a clear photo of a undomesticated, possibly nocturnal big cat that lives in the woods and is probably terrified of humans? Forget it.

That photo looks like a gibbon mid-swing to me anyway.

Melody Lee

I quite like the old idea that owners of exotic pets might have released a few into the wild at some point, though I think there would have to have been a fair few of them to sustain a breeding population.

While living in a rather remote house not too far from the village of Llansannan, Denbigh (during Winter 2014) I saw something that fits the out-of-place big cat description. The place we lived in was a former outdoors centre that had been converted into a shared house - I was living there with an ex and another couple.

Around 1-2am I was leaning out of the bathroom window smoking a cigarette. The bathroom light was illuminating the driveway for a good 15-20 feet ahead. There was no other source of light. An unusually large cat wandered silently into view from the right, moving towards the back of one of the cars on the left of the illuminated area. It had sandy coloured short fur (short enough for muscles to be visible, flexing along its back as it moved). There were no markings. Its head seemed quite compact, by that I mean that its proportions were not like those of a large house cat.

I didn't see the front of its head, though did see the entire length of its body as it walked slowly across in front of me, no more than 12 feet away. It dipped its head down under the rear bumper of the nearest car for around 8-10 seconds before moving off behind the car and out of sight. From head to the tip of the tail it was roughly 3.5 feet and a little under 1.5 feet high at the shoulder.

It was a bizarre sight. I'd rather not leap to any conclusion about what it might have been, given that I simply do not know and cannot arrive at any meaningful conclusion by speculation alone. There's always the possibility that it was an unusually large, short-haired wildcat (like some sort of weird local outlier). That said, I've seen plenty of wild cats and the animal I saw was different in every respect apart from its obviously feline nature. I searched around online for big cat sightings in Denbigh not long after seeing the mystery thing but found nothing.

Malcy

Big cats in the UK definitely exist. I've seen one on a couple of occasions.

There was a rumour one was around the village but everyone was like yeah whatever mate. I was having a smoke one day in a local wooded area and could hear a dog going absolutely mental and it's owner struggling to calm it. He eventually shouted out to ask if anyone was there so I decided to show myself and make my way over to him. On the way I saw this massive thing on an old patch of concrete that was overgrown with grass etc. Thought it was a dog at first then realised it wasn't, panicked and took a shortcut over water absolutely soaking myself in the process and ending up right at the guy with the dog.

He had thought his dog had noticed me and that's why it was barking but it was still going loopy towards the direction I had came from. I told him that I thought I had seen a big cat and he left sharpish. A few weeks later I was a bit worse for wear in the same area on my way home from the pub and me and a friend stopped off to roll a fag at the top of some steps. I jokingly said it wasn't safe after what I had saw and then we could just make out something in the dark skulking about. Big like what I had seen before and enough to scare us off even though there is probably no way it would have attacked us.

About a week later a cleaner was putting the bins out in a school a few miles away and saw a big cat and was absolutely terrified. By this point there had been a few sightings so some cat experts surveyed the area over a few weeks and came to the conclusion based on pawprints and things that there was 2 Lynx and something else, I forget what, roaming the area.

mothman

My wife tells me she saw a big black cat out in the countryside near Bristol, years ago. Personally, I just don't know. It feels odd that after 20 years of camera phones photographic evidence remains sparse.

steve98

You could say the same about (for eg) alien abductions: no-one doubts it happens and yet the evidence is sparse (just as it is for a miraculous, interventionist God)

Inspector Norse

Saw a leopard at Rochdale Asda once. He bought a Pepperami, 20 Lamberts and a copy of Auto Trader.

MoreauVasz

A couple of years ago, I went for a walk around my local area. I passed this open field with a big gate and, out of the corner of my eye, I see this huge black shape bounding across the field. Not just bounding but flowing.

I pull out my phone and turn to take a picture and the scene resolves itself. It was a squirrel running across the top of the gate but because I had seen it out of the corner of my eye and because there weren't enough distance and size queues, my brain parsed the information as 'big thing far away' rather than 'small thing up close'

The only reason I was able to work out what it actually was is that I got another look at the squirrel. Had the squirrel disappeared or had it been dark, I would have been none the wiser. That's where alien big cats come from.

Buelligan

Quote from: steve98 on March 28, 2021, 07:16:29 AM
You could say the same about (for eg) alien abductions: no-one doubts it happens and yet the evidence is sparse (just as it is for a miraculous, interventionist God)

Actually, was meaning to say, I doubt it happens.  Hope that's not a problem.

I live quite close to Bugarach and was here in 2012 and can confirm, no one died or went to live on a lovely farm in the sky.

MoreauVasz

Quote from: steve98 on March 28, 2021, 07:16:29 AM

I do. I doubt it happens. I do not believe that people are kidnapped by aliens.

holyzombiejesus

Haa the body of an ABC ever been found? There was a lorry driver who reported seeing 4 men carrying the body of a huge dead ABC in to the back of a van but the council said it was just a black dog (?!).

notjosh

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on March 28, 2021, 03:52:23 PM
Haa the body of an ABC ever been found? There was a lorry driver who reported seeing 4 men carrying the body of a huge dead ABC in to the back of a van but the council said it was just a black dog (?!).

Supposedly the police have turned up quite a few but don't tend to publicise it. Famous examples are Felicity the Scottish puma, and a lynx that turned up in Cricklewood about 20 years ago (no pictures, but reported as fact in quite a few papers), but there are apparently others.

It's well known that a lot of cats were released in the 70s after the passage of the Dangerous Wild Animals Act, though it's debatable whether it would have been enough to sustain a breeding population. Having said that there is a thriving wallaby population on the Isle of Man now and apparently they all came from one escaped pair (filthy bastards).

The podcast Big Cat Conversations is a good source of info on this, hosted by an eminently sensible chap called Rick Minter. He thinks there are three species of big cat currently breeding in the UK: black (melanistic) leopards, pumas (aka mountain lions or cougars, the sandy-coloured ones) and lynxes.

My nana and granpa saw a black one near their house in Wales when I was a kid, which fair fired up my imagination. Haven't been lucky enough to see one myself, though I did have a holiday in the Forest of Dean last year with the express purpose of getting one on camera. Spent a few hours standard in a forest around dawn/dusk and trying my best not to shit myself, but no luck.

I also spend a lot of time staring out the window on trains hoping I'll see one. When you do this you'll notice a couple of things: this country is full of perfect big cat habitat, forests, hedgerows and little lakes and ponds and whatnot; those habitats are full of lovely juicy deer. Definitely think these things could be out there and thriving, though every year that passes without anyone getting a decent picture of one does make me doubt.

notjosh

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on March 27, 2021, 04:48:29 PM
I thought I'd start a thread, partly in the hope that someone finds a link to that BBC documentary about the man who squirted Mister Muscle near the suspected home of a lynx on Dartmoor.

More details and I can have a look.

holyzombiejesus

It was The Man Who Ate Badgers, a documentary about people who lived on Bodmin. There's an (I think) edited version here, about a man who eats roadkill which is really really worth watching, but I'm sure there was another guy featured who was on the hunt for the Beast of Bodmin. Does anyone else remember it?

BlodwynPig

Posted too many times on here but me and my sister saw a bear emerge from woods near Bodmin as my parents drove us to the campsite we were staying one summer in the eighties.

poo

60% of Britain has never been explored who knows what's out there

The Ombudsman

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on March 28, 2021, 10:31:35 PM
It was The Man Who Ate Badgers, a documentary about people who lived on Bodmin. There's an (I think) edited version here, about a man who eats roadkill which is really really worth watching, but I'm sure there was another guy featured who was on the hunt for the Beast of Bodmin. Does anyone else remember it?

I remember the documentary about the bloke eating roadkill but not the Beast of Bodmin bit. It could be just that chap butchering badgers took all the memory space.

There must be something odd in an individual to hunt for and then consume roadkill. I know a few people who have taken pheasants off the road to eat, badgers not so much.

Jittlebags

Mrs Slocambe leaves thread disappointed.

NurseNugent

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on March 28, 2021, 10:31:35 PM

Yes. I remember it. It was part of the Wonderland series, I think.