Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:09:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Times really do change, don't they?

Started by Phoenix Lazarus, March 27, 2021, 07:32:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
The first two images are pages from Cracker comic in 1975; the third is a page from Sparky comic in 1977.

bgmnts

Wonder if Garrison read this comic strip.

Bazooka

Is that 'WIN £1!' offer still going?

Tony Tony Tony

Quote from: Bazooka on March 27, 2021, 08:19:00 PM
Is that 'WIN £1!' offer still going?

At least three of those teachers were on the staff at my school.

Can I claim a pound?

Video Game Fan 2000

Fair play "wishing well" is a good nickname for a teacher, unless its some kind of slur I'm not getting.

idunnosomename

Brown cow looks like furry rule 34 fodder

ZoyzaSorris

There's an old Beano Annual at my Dad's from 1992 (after my time, it was my sister's) and that's got some pretty dodgy shit in it especially vis a vis our far eastern chums.

kalowski

Quote from: ZoyzaSorris on March 27, 2021, 10:20:01 PM
There's an old Beano Annual at my Dad's from 1992 (after my time, it was my sister's) and that's got some pretty dodgy shit in it especially vis a vis our far eastern chums.
The old L mixed with R trope was around for years after that. I am sure it was just seen as a funny old quirk of the Japanese (or Chinese, after all who can tell?)
That was another trope, by the way. Most gags saw Chinese, Japanese and Korean people as interchangeable.

Video Game Fan 2000

Little Plum was running when I was in primary school in the early 1990s. Getting a Beano Little Plum book on a sickie was one of my first "this can't be right" moments growing up.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: kalowski on March 27, 2021, 10:47:44 PM
The old L mixed with R trope was around for years after that. I am sure it was just seen as a funny old quirk of the Japanese (or Chinese, after all who can tell?)
That was another trope, by the way. Most gags saw Chinese, Japanese and Korean people as interchangeable.
In college I knew a Chinese man who pronounced Rs as Ls, if the R came after another consonant. "Glow" instead of "grow" for instance. But just because it's real doesn't mean it's to be made fun of.

Dr Rock

Gosh, Cracker was my comic in 1975. Luckily one day I asked the shop lady for it and she misheard and gave me UK Marvel's Dracula Lives, and I took that from then on. Which was largely free of horrific racism (except maybe against Transylvanians).

Johnny Yesno

These days, Looza Fox would lead a crusade to have any publication called Cracker cancelled.

Jumblegraws

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on March 27, 2021, 10:53:03 PM
Little Plum was running when I was in primary school in the early 1990s. Getting a Beano Little Plum book on a sickie was one of my first "this can't be right" moments growing up.
I had similar thoughts when I was a kid about the "Postman Patel" character in the Dandy. South Asian postie with a comically-huge turban who got tormented by a couple of toddlers and said "goodness gracious me" a lot. Going by this image, they were still using the character at least as late as 2000:

Btw, in the early 2000s I bought a copy of the Beano for old times sake, and they were running a Little Plum strip. Was the anti-PC backlash particularly strong at that time or something?

Christ, Little Plum was decades out of date when I was a kid in the late '80s - I can't believe the strip was still going in the C21st.  Or 'um 21st Century' as Little Plum would say.

The Beano & Dandy (and Beezer, Topper etc) were truly strange comics, looking back.  They were anachronistic when my friends and I would buy them - 'cattys', soap box carts, hobnail boots, canes, slippers etc.  That stuff was pretty harmless - but they were filled with reactionary nonsense - I can't imagine much of it survives today (I mean, surely 'Walter the Softy' can't still be around?  Or if he is, I'd hope that there's been a serious character overhaul).  Racism, homophobia etc - that stuff was rampant.

Jumblegraws

Walter's still going, there was a har-dee-har thing about him trying to sue Jacob Rees-Mogg for appropriating his appearance or something not too long ago. They've made his character a lot more vindictive and cut out all the effeminacy stuff to make Dennis seem less of the bullying proto-homophobe he was when I were a lad.

SpiderChrist

Quote from: TheBrownBottle on March 28, 2021, 11:54:50 AM
Christ, Little Plum was decades out of date when I was a kid in the late '80s - I can't believe the strip was still going in the C21st.  Or 'um 21st Century' as Little Plum would say.

The Beano & Dandy (and Beezer, Topper etc) were truly strange comics, looking back.  They were anachronistic when my friends and I would buy them - 'cattys', soap box carts, hobnail boots, canes, slippers etc.  That stuff was pretty harmless - but they were filled with reactionary nonsense - I can't imagine much of it survives today (I mean, surely 'Walter the Softy' can't still be around?  Or if he is, I'd hope that there's been a serious character overhaul).  Racism, homophobia etc - that stuff was rampant.

Walter Softy was Bernard Sumner's nickname for Morrissey.

Continuing my journey through editions of the 70s comic Sparky on DVD, I've just found this little gem.

I came across this one just a minute ago.

Kankurette

It was still going on in the 90s, there was a Roger the Dodger strip where he pretended to be Chinese and went 'ah so, ah so'. He dressed up as a Chinese person with a pigtail and mask in another strip and some Chinese people made him eat birds' nest soup to teach him a lesson.

ETA: and yes, Little Plum was around in the 90s. I don't think Walter was meant to be gay though. He had a couple of female crushes.

Any Scots remember the strip where Oor Wullie got covered in soot and it turned out he was OK because his class were doing a minstrel show?

Dayraven

Quote'ah so, ah so'.
Which is not only Japanese, but in actual use is usually 'yeah, whatever.'

kalowski

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on April 02, 2021, 11:40:54 AM
Continuing my journey through editions of the 70s comic Sparky on DVD, I've just found this little gem.

Fucking hell!

The Bumlord

ZoyzaSorris

kalowski

gib

you can't leave it there, what happened next!

Quote from: kalowski on April 02, 2021, 10:21:58 PM
Ying Walla Woola, you're not wrong!

The gent who said that in the comic was obviously familiar with this western song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmjrTcYMqBM

Jumblegraws

Quote from: Kankurette on April 02, 2021, 06:53:48 PM
ETA: and yes, Little Plum was around in the 90s. I don't think Walter was meant to be gay though. He had a couple of female crushes.
Yeah, strictly speaking he wasn't shown to be attracted to other lads, but the way he was characterised and Dennis's disdain for him did resemble homophobic tropes sometimes (I had a friend who claims Dennis outright called Walter "poofy" one time, but that friend was a bit of a bullshitter). Articles discussing Dennis's bullying being toned down do mention the homophobia angle, though I haven't read enough into it to say if this was a concern DC Thomson officially had.