Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:56:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Times really do change, don't they?

Started by Phoenix Lazarus, March 27, 2021, 07:32:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wet Blanket

I've been looking through my stack of Beano and Dandy books from the early 90s and Asian stereotypes seem to have still been fair game at that time. Amazing to me because I'm sure my dad was complaining about everything being too politically correct even then

kalowski

That L Cars strip is unbelievable. Thankfully the recent Government Race Report has demonstrated such views are now in the past.

gib

the payoff for the harmonica subplot was a massive let down

Kankurette

That L Cars strip has NOT aged well, to say the least.

Quote from: gib on April 02, 2021, 10:53:41 PM
the payoff for the harmonica subplot was a massive let down

To be fair, that's about the least of the things you can pick that strip up on.

Echo Valley 2-6809

In defence of Sparky comic, its lead character for over 200 issues was the eponymous 'Sparky', a black schoolboy getting up to various adventures.

I don't think any other publication was doing anything similar so in a sense it was way ahead of its...  Oh dear.  https://ukcomics.fandom.com/wiki/Sparky_(strip)#

Ferris

Quote from: Kankurette on April 02, 2021, 06:53:48 PM
It was still going on in the 90s, there was a Roger the Dodger strip where he pretended to be Chinese and went 'ah so, ah so'. He dressed up as a Chinese person with a pigtail and mask in another strip and some Chinese people made him eat birds' nest soup to teach him a lesson.

I remember this strip. Dodgy as fuck.

non capisco

The Krankies had no hesitation in uploading their 'Chinesse Sketch' to YouTube as late as 2016.

purlieu

I'd never considered Walter the Softy as homophobic (although there are clearly elements of it in hindsight), but it did fall into the category of it being ok to bully anyone who was considered in any way nerdy, gentle, or generally not a cunt.
That said, from memory, Walter and his Chums got their revenge on Dennis about as often as the other way around, so it was pitched as a somewhat even fight.

In regards to the the racism in the opening comics, as someone who grew up on Disney films like this, I'm not even the tiniest bit surprised.

idunnosomename

Quote from: non capisco on April 03, 2021, 12:31:39 AM
The Krankies had no hesitation in uploading their 'Chinesse Sketch' to YouTube as late as 2016.
slitty eye joke got a big laugh eh

COULDNT GET AWAY WITH THAT TODAY. TERRIBLE. WOKE MARXISTS DESTROYING ARE HISTORY.

non capisco

The BBC ran a report at the time and apparently the Chinesse kids in the audience were laughing the hardest at that, so stick that in your pipe and smoke it, Mr. I. M Woke.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Gosh just look at the hilarious comedy that's all banned now thanks to PC wokescold cucks

Jokes like illegal immigrants are everywhere, screaming gibberish

and Chinese people have a different eye shape

Comedy gold

Gold I tell you

Video Game Fan 2000

Jesus, I was trying to remember where I saw some heinous anti-asian shit in the Beano and the birds nest soup detail really brought it back. It was definitely that. I remember "forced to eat birds nest soup" being a running joke punchline in several strips. It probably wasn't as common as I remember but it came up more than once. I want to say, Calamity James? But this forum won't want me to besmirch Baxendale.

Kankurette

I think in Roger the Dodger's case they were trying to catch him out, like 'you're not really Chinese, otherwise you'd eat this, aaahhhh.'

I don't remember any racism in Calamity James.

Mister Six

The implication is that Chinese people eat disgusting things though.

I used to read Whizzer and Chips and (later) Buster. I remember then being fairly decent - Phil Fitt was a black character but his comedy trait was that he was a health nut. Watford Gapp (he's the king of rap) was just a regular guy who had whimsical adventures, IIRC. I suppose being a black guy who "raps" is a bit of a cliche, but....

Mustafa Million was a bit of a stereotype too - a rich Arab. But he used his money to have great fun with all his white mates.

I think there was one about a Chinese guy who was a kung-fu fighter with a Chinese braided queue hairstyle (so about 100 years out of date at least) who biffed up bullies, but I think that might have been an old strip from the 70s revived to fill a gap.

Quote from: Mister Six on April 03, 2021, 03:11:49 AM

I think there was one about a Chinese guy who was a kung-fu fighter with a Chinese braided queue hairstyle (so about 100 years out of date at least) who biffed up bullies, but I think that might have been an old strip from the 70s revived to fill a gap.

Sounds like Young Foo, originally from Cracker comic in the mid-70s - only he was shaven-headed. The first post in this thread includes two pages of his antics.

The creator of L Cars in Sparky seemed to have a thing about illegal immigrants.  He did at least one other story featuring them.

Dr Rock

Quote from: purlieu on April 03, 2021, 12:34:53 AM
That said, from memory, Walter and his Chums got their revenge on Dennis about as often as the other way around, so it was pitched as a somewhat even fight.

Yes but did Walter ever start the shit, or go looking for aggro with Dennis The Cunt?

purlieu

Sometimes, yeah, although obviously the implication is that Dennis and his mates started the feud in the first place.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on April 03, 2021, 02:36:11 AM
Jesus, I was trying to remember where I saw some heinous anti-asian shit in the Beano and the birds nest soup detail really brought it back. It was definitely that. I remember "forced to eat birds nest soup" being a running joke punchline in several strips. It probably wasn't as common as I remember but it came up more than once. I want to say, Calamity James? But this forum won't want me to besmirch Baxendale.

Calamity James was a creation of the somewhat Baxendale influenced Tom Paterson, not Baxendale himself.

idunnosomename

i admit i laughed at the turban setup because it was so contrived

Echo Valley 2-6809

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on April 03, 2021, 09:04:24 AM
Sounds like Young Foo, originally from Cracker comic in the mid-70s - only he was shaven-headed. The first post in this thread includes two pages of his antics.

Young Foo was in Cracker and then The Beezer after they merged, not Buster.

I still think "forced to eat Bird's Nest Soup" is a funny phrase though, and given what it involves I won't be falling over myself to feel bad about it.

Bazooka

Many Chinese people I know think Britain's favourite dish is Fish Head Pie, so it evens out.

kalowski

Quote from: Echo Valley 2-6809 on April 03, 2021, 01:12:16 PM
Young Foo was in Cracker and then The Beezer after they merged, not Buster.

I still think "forced to eat Bird's Nest Soup" is a funny phrase though, and given what it involves I won't be falling over myself to feel bad about it.
Bird's Nest Soup and Shark Fin Soup (ideally, with a fin poking out the top)

Jumblegraws

Getting a bit off-topic here, but Calamity James is a good example of something I really enjoyed as a child, but find quite grim and nasty as an adult. That had more to do with sensitivities changing with age than social progress though, I think. See also: Don Bluth films.

Kankurette

Quote from: Jumblegraws on April 03, 2021, 01:59:49 PM
Getting a bit off-topic here, but Calamity James is a good example of something I really enjoyed as a child, but find quite grim and nasty as an adult. That had more to do with sensitivities changing with age than social progress though, I think. See also: Don Bluth films.
It is dark as fuck when you think about it.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Mister Six link=topic=86021.msg4511367#msg451136

I used to read Whizzer and Chips and (later) Buster. I remember then being fairly decent - Phil Fitt was a black character but his comedy trait was that he was a health nut.

...and a tiresome, fat-shaming prick, it seems?

Jockice

Wonder what the fuzzy-wuzzies thought about all this.