Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:12:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Times really do change, don't they?

Started by Phoenix Lazarus, March 27, 2021, 07:32:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Rock

Do you reckon everyone working on these comics was about 80 years old? Buzby?

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on April 02, 2021, 06:41:34 PM
I came across this one just a minute ago.

Swap the Hong Kong Phooey caricature in your mind with one of an ape-like Afro-Caribbean or a Jew with a big hooked nose,

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Jockice on April 03, 2021, 04:38:43 PM
Wonder what the fuzzy-wuzzies thought about all this.

Didn't like it up em, I heard.

Though I do find 'Invisible Dick' quite a funny title. They must have been taking the mickey with that title though, surely?

I could imagine the first page of that second L Cars strip almost as a Viz parody. Not the second page though, admittedly.

Dayraven

Quote from: Mister Six on April 03, 2021, 03:11:49 AM
I think there was one about a Chinese guy who was a kung-fu fighter with a Chinese braided queue hairstyle (so about 100 years out of date at least) who biffed up bullies
Karate Sid from the Beano.

pigamus

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on April 03, 2021, 05:20:15 PM
Swap the Hong Kong Phooey caricature in your mind with one of an ape-like Afro-Caribbean or a Jew with a big hooked nose,

I admit that Paul Daniels's patter isn't justifiable today

Remember Plug comic and their Antchester United strip?

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: Dr Rock on March 28, 2021, 09:31:45 AM
Gosh, Cracker was my comic in 1975. Luckily one day I asked the shop lady for it and she misheard and gave me UK Marvel's Dracula Lives, and I took that from then on. Which was largely free of horrific racism (except maybe against Transylvanians).

Dracula Lives was an excellent spin off of the even better Tomb of Dracula, the strip that introduced Blade to the Marvel universe.

Draclia refers to Blade as "Black" every time he speaks to or about him. It's a real issue for him that Blade is black.

JamesTC

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on April 05, 2021, 06:19:23 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/totp2/features/top5/overweight.shtml

Oh, and The BBC website as well.

Quote from: The BBC WebsiteIt's a little-known fact, but there used to be around 30 Weather Girls. No, really. Unfortunately, when their camp classic 'It's Raining Men' was first put to tape, 28 of them had eaten a particularly ripe curry the night before, and actually exploded during the recording.

Blimey.

kalowski

I think I got lucky. My comic if choice was Krazy. I'm trying to remember, but don't recall any dodgy racist characters in that. I think Chicken (from Birdman and Chicken) was a bit camp, maybe.
Having said all this, I'm also pretty sure every character was white.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Sporty from the Krazy gang was black, and a positive role model, liking his sports and all that.

Freaky , from the same gang, was green ( being an alien), but they phased him out after a bit, because I don't think they knew what to do with him/ it.

Cheeky had a couple of racist stereotype mates like the Indian lad Gunga Jim ( " Oh, curry curry, hot stuff!"  " Groan! They ought TURBAN jokes like that one!"), but that was from his spin- off comic Cheeky Weekly.

kalowski

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on April 05, 2021, 10:46:59 PM
Sporty from the Krazy gang was black, and a positive role model, liking his sports and all that.

Freaky , from the same gang, was green ( being an alien), but they phased him out after a bit, because I don't think they knew what to do with him/ it.

Cheeky had a couple of racist stereotype mates like the Indian lad Gunga Jim ( " Oh, curry curry, hot stuff!"  " Groan! They ought TURBAN jokes like that one!"), but that was from his spin- off comic Cheeky Weekly.
Yes, I remember Sporty, and it just seemed natural he was one of the gang. Race never mentioned. Although you could go down the angle of "make the black character physical and sporty, of course!"

Kankurette

Was Benji from Ball Boy black or Asian?

Going through a collection of Beano annuals on DVD, just found this little beauty from the 1975 edition. 

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: non capisco on April 03, 2021, 01:23:49 AM
The BBC ran a report at the time and apparently the Chinese kids in the audience were laughing the hardest at that, so stick that in your pipe and smoke it, Mr. I. M Woke.

At school in 1981 they showed us a video of a tv show called "16 Up", and in it was an appearance by John Cooper Clarke doing a piece called "Kung Fu International".  Everyone laughed so much that when the programme ended the teacher rewound the tape and let us watch that part again.  While everyone laughed uproariously the one Chinese kid in the class sat there looking absolutely furious.

Johnboy

Paddywack in Cheeky comic, late 70s - my heart always sank when I turned the page to that.

I found this very enlightened look at the Southeast Asians in Dandy Annual 1972.

Kankurette

Me Chinese! Me velly solly! Ah so, ah so, etc.

And, in the same book, this double-pager.

bgmnts

Do Chinese people actually replace Rs with Ls? I know they tend to pronounce Ls with Rs but never heard a Chinese person say me rike the flied lice or anything.

Kankurette

I don't think Chinese has an 'r' sound? I know Japanese doesn't have an 'l' sound. There's a song on the Bleach soundtrack called Just Bleach, where Ichigo's voice actor pronounces 'Bleach' as 'Breach'.

My grandma had loads of old books belonging to my uncle and one of my aunties when they were kids, and I took a few home, and my auntie's Jackie annual had a strip with a character doing an Al Jolson impression by holding a rubber ring against his face and singing 'Mammy, Mammy'. This was in the '70s.

Echo Valley 2-6809

Speaks perfect English in this frame. The inscrutable fiends are probably taking the piss out of us.

Kankurette

Seeing this thread makes me wonder how Family Guy gets away with so much. I know it's American, not British, but it's even more racist than South Park.

Zetetic

Quote from: bgmnts on May 09, 2021, 12:02:34 PM
Do Chinese people actually replace Rs with Ls? I know they tend to pronounce Ls with Rs but never heard a Chinese person say me rike the flied lice or anything.
Quote from: Kankurette on May 09, 2021, 12:07:07 PM
I don't think Chinese has an 'r' sound? I know Japanese doesn't have an 'l' sound.

My vague understanding is:

The closest sound to both 'r' and 'l' in Japanese (and maybe Korean as well?) is usually produced closer to the former so - all else being equal - English speakers are more likely to perceive 'l' to 'r' changes than the other way round.

Standard Chinese/Mandarin has two relevant sounds - one of which is close to 'l'[nb]I note that the page actually gives examples of these in Korean and Japanese but indicates "More commonly [ɾ]".[/nb], and the other of which is closer to 'r' than 'l' but can sound sort of like it's between the two. So English speakers might sometimes perceive 'r' to 'l' changes in English produced by Mandarin speakers, I guess?

(All the links have recorded examples on the right side of the page.)

idunnosomename

It comes from Japanese having no L sound, and them pronouncing it the same as R in English words. And when they write out words in Romanji they guess whether it's an L or an R, and somehow always manage to get the wrong one, leading to the phenomenon of "Engrish".

I don't think there's any truth on putting it on to Mandarin or any other Chinese language which are very different. But no one says "flied lice" out loud

Zetetic

Does Cantonese have anything particularly close to an English R?

idunnosomename

Apparently not. So perhaps Cantonese would say flied lice. Wu Chinese apparently (sourcing an apparently) has a similar thing to Japanese.

source: animes

kalowski

The first Flower Travelling Band album was credited to Frower Travelling Band.