Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:41:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Album/Song Titles That Are Too Subtle For You

Started by lazyhour, March 28, 2021, 02:23:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jobotic

Motherfuckers innit? If Steve McLaren said it.

New page motherfocu

Quote from: Clatty McCutcheon on March 29, 2021, 12:02:35 AM
I'm guessing it's a rather weak pun on the phrase 'my will is strong'.

Although you have to pronounce 'evil' with the emphasis on the 'vill' sound for it to make it work.

That's probably it - a better theory than anything I've got, anyway.  Thanks CMC.

daf

Quote from: jobotic on March 29, 2021, 02:14:48 PM
Motherfuckers innit? If Steve McLaren said it.

Ha!

There's also a track on that album called 'Father Bach' . . . which I suspect, in the light of that, may be another terrible pun : '
Spoiler alert
further back
[close]
?'

mrpupkin

Not a reference to another song but just some wordplay that went over my head for months, BC Camplight's latest has a song called Cemetary Lifestyle....Ahhhh like sedentary lifestyle innit

Ray Travez

Quote from: buzby on March 29, 2021, 10:36:02 AM
My favourite song title story of theirs is Fine Time, which came from a reminder Steve had written for himself to go and pay a parking fine in Bath while they were recording Technique at Real World.

That's a joke surely!? I always assumed Fine Time was a reference to Transmission-

We would have a fine time living in the night
Left to blind destruction, waiting for our sight

Pink Gregory

Only just got 'Animal Nitrate' the other day. 

Butchers Blind

Quote from: daf on March 29, 2021, 02:10:07 PM
You fascinate me strangley - what's the hidden meaning here?

I'm getting
Spoiler alert
Iorn Cross
[close]
from the image - but not the link with the title (is
Spoiler alert
mother 'cross' because she has to do the iorning
[close]
?)

Delete. Already mentioned.

buzby

Quote from: Ray Travez on April 01, 2021, 01:31:55 AM
That's a joke surely!? I always assumed Fine Time was a reference to Transmission-

We would have a fine time living in the night
Left to blind destruction, waiting for our sight

Nope, not a joke. It's mentioned in the second volume of Morris' memoirs, while they were recording Technique.

amateur

I've always assumed that Todd Terje's "It's The Arps" is some sort of pun, but never been able to work out exactly what.

He's got form with Inspector Norse - which is sensational - but what that abbreviation of "arpeggiator" is doing, I've no clue.

Thomas

In with the only band I seem to know any trivia about: Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now is a play on Sandie Shaw's Heaven Knows I'm Missing Him Now.

Aladdin Sane is brilliantly poor wordplay.

Dusty Substance

James Brown put an RnB swing album in 1992 called Universal James. Is this a pun on something that I'm not getting?

Universal Games, perhaps? Dunno.

The album is every bit as bad as you might expect.

Phil_A

Quote from: amateur on April 01, 2021, 12:36:05 PM
I've always assumed that Todd Terje's "It's The Arps" is some sort of pun, but never been able to work out exactly what.

He's got form with Inspector Norse - which is sensational - but what that abbreviation of "arpeggiator" is doing, I've no clue.

Reference to the Python episode/skit "It's The Arts"?

gilbertharding

daf

Not an album title, but  . . .

Jacques Tati = jacket potato?

SteveDave

I was approx 41 years old when I realised that Blink One Hundred And Eighty-Two's LP "Take Off Your Pants And Jacket" was a masturbation reference.

purlieu

That reminds me, as a kid I did wonder what on Earth "Enema of the State" meant. Ah, innocence.

poodlefaker

Quote from: Thomas on April 01, 2021, 04:26:42 PM
In with the only band I seem to know any trivia about: Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now is a play on Sandie Shaw's Heaven Knows I'm Missing Him Now

Similarly I guess Lucky Lisp is a play on Cliff Richard's Lucky Lips

MrSerious

Quote from: amateur on April 01, 2021, 12:36:05 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnZhUJmD9jE