Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:04:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Is the McVities Gold bar a minor confection?

Started by Bernice, March 28, 2021, 05:09:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Kankurette on April 01, 2021, 02:22:00 PM
Applause bars, anyone? They were fit. Fruit, biscuit and caramel.

My mum craved KitKat when I was a foetus. It might explain why I love the damn things. Especially Chunky.

Didn't they come out in 1999?

nvm misread it and realised I was being dim.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Chollis on March 30, 2021, 04:10:09 PM
is there a more mediocre chocolate bar than the insipid Breakaway? just checked and they've been going since 1970. ridiculous

I liked them, but I wouldn't bother getting them now because they no longer have the checkerboard pattern on the top and that makes them all the poorer.
The look of the biscuit adds to the nostalgia, and take that away and the memory is ruined.  Why would they change something like that, idiots!

Anyone remember a chocolate bar called Peppermint Patty?  Early 80's at a guess.  No idea if they licensed the name from the Peanuts character.  It was just a huge sickly slab (about the size of a Wagon Wheel) of peppermint flavoured fondant coated with an extremely thin layer of chocolate.  Don't think they made them for very long.

Video Game Fan 2000

Video Game Fan 2000

I'll tell you what I really miss is cadbury's Alcove bar. bring back alcoves

Replies From View

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on April 01, 2021, 07:03:22 PM
I liked them, but I wouldn't bother getting them now because they no longer have the checkerboard pattern on the top and that makes them all the poorer.
The look of the biscuit adds to the nostalgia, and take that away and the memory is ruined.  Why would they change something like that, idiots!

Anyone remember a chocolate bar called Peppermint Patty?  Early 80's at a guess.  No idea if they licensed the name from the Peanuts character.  It was just a huge sickly slab (about the size of a Wagon Wheel) of peppermint flavoured fondant coated with an extremely thin layer of chocolate.  Don't think they made them for very long.

Fry's Peppermint Cream bars are still going.  Anything like that?

Replies From View

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on April 01, 2021, 07:14:22 PM
I'll tell you what I really miss is cadbury's Alcove bar. bring back alcoves

I was an enormous fan of the MacKintosh Recess Monkey.  Gorgeous chocolate primate that lived in little crevices around the home.  Pain in the arse to tempt out of hiding but deliciously moreish mouthfeel.

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: Replies From View on April 01, 2021, 07:19:42 PM
I was an enormous fan of the MacKintosh Recess Monkey.  Gorgeous chocolate primate that lived in little crevices around the home.  Pain in the arse to tempt out of hiding but deliciously moreish mouthfeel.

I never had one but Terry's brought out a similar thing with hazelnuts called the Panzerkampfwagen VII Löwe

The Culture Bunker

I did manage to find the Gold. £2 for seven of them in the Co-op and they taste lovely as I remember, though I admit to being a bit disappointed in how small they are.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Replies From View on April 01, 2021, 07:17:11 PM
Fry's Peppermint Cream bars are still going.  Anything like that?

Apparently they've been going in America since 1940...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/York_Peppermint_Pattie
...and the similarly spelt Peanuts character was only created in 1966.

The ones I remember were wrapped in silver paper, so the thing you bought was circular, unlike the ones in the photo there in a square package.  That page describes them as being firmer than I remember (the "snap test"), I remember them being quite soft and gooey, but you know how memories conflate and all that.  Maybe they introduced them in Summer!  Don't think they were around for more than a year.

Butchers Blind

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on April 01, 2021, 07:26:30 PM
I did manage to find the Gold. £2 for seven of them in the Co-op and they taste lovely as I remember, though I admit to being a bit disappointed in how small they are.

£1 in Sainsbury's. You got stitched up.
Right about the size, two bites and you're done.

seepage

They seem to be permanently 'half-price' at £1 in my local Co-op too.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on April 01, 2021, 07:27:12 PM

The ones I remember were wrapped in silver paper, so the thing you bought was circular, unlike the ones in the photo there in a square package.  That page describes them as being firmer than I remember (the "snap test"), I remember them being quite soft and gooey, but you know how memories conflate and all that.  Maybe they introduced them in Summer!  Don't think they were around for more than a year.

Weren't YoYos like that?

Stonefish

Quote from: Bernice on March 28, 2021, 05:09:36 PM
In an effort to remove a bit of this mystery, I gave it a Google, only to discover that the Gold bar has no Wikipedia page. Am I going nuts? Surely the Gold bar is enough of a player to merit an entry. Alright, it's not a Mars bar or a Kit Kat. But surely it's at least the equal of a Club, or a Viscount, both of which have their own wiki pages. Am I wrong? Is the Gold bar a minor biscuit??

I agree. It's insane there's not a Wikipedia entry for this in 2021. The fucking Caramac has one and that's shit compared to a Gold Bar. A Gold Bar tastes like a Caramac had sex with a digestive.

steve98

Calm down calm down, we've gone over all this already. There's no point gettin' all worked up again.

Stonefish

Yeah sorry, I read the first post and just flew off the handle.

steve98

I understand. You're passionate, that's a good thing.

purlieu

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on March 31, 2021, 08:08:26 PM
I was going to say 'who remembers nestle's vice versas, they were reem', but it looks like they got relaunched twice since I last had 'em.
I tried the new ones when they came out lately[nb]2012?! Fuck.[/nb] and they're absolutely nothing like the originals. Different size, shape (much rounder, rather than the flatter, Minstrel-like originals), colour (washed out grey-brown), taste. They've taken the basic concept and applied it to a totally different recipe. Exceptionally disappointing.

Replies From View

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on April 01, 2021, 07:27:12 PM

In spirit it sounds like Kendal Mint Cake but with chocolate on.

Get your chops around that one.

Replies From View

Quote from: Butchers Blind on April 02, 2021, 08:03:31 AM
£1 in Sainsbury's. You got stitched up.
Right about the size, two bites and you're done.

Two bites?

This is you:

touchingcloth

Quote from: Replies From View on April 01, 2021, 07:19:42 PM

Lovely stuff.

monkfromhavana

When I was about 12 one of the highlights of the week was being round my mates house on a Saturday night watching "Cops" on Sky. That was good, but also they had a box of various biscuity bar things that I would be invited to have 2 or 3 of. Clubs were the last to go, along with Penguins, Gold Bars were present, Blue Riband, the full cornucopia.

I liked the ones, they were 2 bits of rectangular biscuit with chocolate running through the middle, what were they called?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: purlieu on April 03, 2021, 07:26:39 PM
I tried the new ones when they came out lately[nb]2012?! Fuck.[/nb] and they're absolutely nothing like the originals. Different size, shape (much rounder, rather than the flatter, Minstrel-like originals), colour (washed out grey-brown), taste. They've taken the basic concept and applied it to a totally different recipe. Exceptionally disappointing.

Well that's disappointing, I suppose you've saved me the job of trying them.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Replies From View on April 03, 2021, 07:55:34 PM

I remember them being gooey, and not as firm as Kendal Mint Cake.

Quote from: monkfromhavana on April 03, 2021, 08:39:36 PMI liked the ones, they were 2 bits of rectangular biscuit with chocolate running through the middle, what were they called?

Bourbon.

In films when a cowboy type goes into a saloon and says "Give me a bourbon" I imagine the barman getting a pack of biscuits from off the shelf behind the bar and offering the cowboy one, and his reply is "Leave the packet!"

(Although yes I know it's a different pronunciation.)

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Replies From View on April 03, 2021, 07:55:34 PM

Get your chops around that one.

Chocolate covered kendal mint cake is fire. Like freebasing after-eights.

steve98

Just a matter of time till some Herbert gives it: Mmm, not sure Kendal Mint Cake really is a "cake", per se - is it? (You never hear of After-Eight Mint Cake, yeah?)

Replies From View

Not often mentioned anywhere, but I loved them - a dark chocolate biscuit with a lemony fondant centre called Bitter Lemons.  They may have been a Sainsbury's only confection.

It went like this:

- Our biscuit tin at home had all the usual Clubs, Trios and Penguins in it.

- For himself, Dad put some Bitter Lemon biscuits in there, assuming that he'd be the only one to like them.  They weren't advertised in the breaks on CITV, after all, and the wrappers were as plain as some form of faded, monochrome Punch.

- I got wind of this ruse and tested out Bitter Lemons using my mouth.  I loved them, so there were now more biscuits in the tin than I had accounted for, along with the Clubs, Trios and Penguins.  Brilliant.

- My little brother hated Bitter Lemons.  Hated them.  But he knew that I was eating more biscuits than him because of them so, out of spite, when there were no Clubs, Trios or Penguins left, he would hold his nose and eat his share of Bitter Lemon biscuits from the tin just to stop me having them.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

^ Dearie me. Well, I know there's such thing as sibling rivalry, but that really does take the biscuit!

markburgle

Quote from: Replies From View on April 04, 2021, 07:25:06 AM
- Our biscuit tin at home had all the usual Clubs, Trios and Penguins in it.

Our biscuit tin at home had biscuits in it. We did things properly round our house.

Boring as fuck it was.

purlieu

Quote from: monkfromhavana on April 03, 2021, 08:39:36 PM
I liked the ones, they were 2 bits of rectangular biscuit with chocolate running through the middle, what were they called?
Fox's Triple?

Glebe

That's a Fox's variety I've not heard of. They're really branching out!