Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 03:18:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Is the McVities Gold bar a minor confection?

Started by Bernice, March 28, 2021, 05:09:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flatulent Fox

If you're lucky enough to aquire Gold bars,well it's good times.
Women will notice and say 'who's that lad with a gold bar'.A statement confectionary.Pair it with flip flops on the beach and you'll be a fanny magnet.
Like Flakes tried to be.

Caramac coated deliciouness.
This is a solid thread so good job everyone.Might come back on this depends on how drunk I get tonight.

steve98

Quote from: mothman on April 20, 2021, 07:16:44 PM
So a Penguin is just an outsize chocolate coated Bourbon biscuit? I've never really thought about it before.

Basically yeah. The only difference is the relative dimensions (long side divided by short side.) In the Bourbon case it's 3, but in the Penguin case it's - wait for it - 1.61. That's right: the golden ratio. I think I might be the first person to have discovered this, the Penguin golden ratio. I'm mighty pleased :)

mothman

I'm going to try dipping custard creams in white chocolate. Hoping the kids have some of the latter from Easter that I can commandeer. FOR SCIENCE

Flatulent Fox

Quote from: steve98 on April 21, 2021, 12:13:29 AM
Basically yeah. The only difference is the relative dimensions (long side divided by short side.) In the Bourbon case it's 3, but in the Penguin case it's - wait for it - 1.61. That's right: the golden ratio. I think I might be the first person to have discovered this, the Penguin golden ratio. I'm mighty pleased :)

Lovely stuff.
I approve of his sort of thing.It makes you think.

Imagine biscuits in the 24th century!
Gold bar would still be like Topic bars: a quiet masterpiece.But in space.

Flatulent Fox

Quote from: mothman on April 21, 2021, 12:30:49 AM
I'm going to try dipping custard creams in white chocolate. Hoping the kids have some of the latter from Easter that I can commandeer. FOR SCIENCE

Quality.
I got a munchies ( Pronounced Monkeys) egg.Did have the option to try a highly controverial mix with rich tea.For more crunch.
Sadly I never concluded my research.

C'est la vie.

seepage

0.5 out of 5 Health Star Rating. Maybe I'll pass.

Video Game Fan 2000

White with three irresistible layers.

Confirms everything I've heard about Australia.

Replies From View

Can't escape the sense that TimTam is a brand name for tampons or sanitary towels or similar.

Video Game Fan 2000

Granville, fer-fah-fetch the terterter timtampons.

purlieu

Quote from: Flatulent Fox on April 20, 2021, 11:47:26 PM
If you're lucky enough to aquire Gold bars,well it's good times.
Picked up a pack of 18 in B&M last week. Not bad, not as good as I remember.

markburgle

Quote from: seepage on April 21, 2021, 04:40:09 PM
0.5 out of 5 Health Star Rating. Maybe I'll pass.

I doubt anything in this thread would score higher. Except the raisin Club obviously, that's an easy 3

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: markburgle on April 21, 2021, 09:52:42 PM
I doubt anything in this thread would score higher. Except the raisin Club obviously, that's an easy 3

Yeah, they make the sparrows that shit in them do a few pullups every morning. Ultimate healthfood.

Replies From View

Bought a multipack of mint flavouring Club biscuits today

Pro:  Individually wrapped in paper sleeve and paper foil undergarment.  It's not every day you run into that particular biscuit presentation in this day and/or age.

Con:  I somehow was of the memory that Club biscuits contained a sandwich biscuit arrangement within.  Two thin biscuits with a fondant inner middle, not a thicker biscuit with the fondant closer to the top.  I would describe what I have gorged today as - essentially - a mint Trio in their formation, rather than the Club biscuit I recall.

Anyway there you are

steve98

/\ That's basically a non-round Viscount you've got there (And that's not meant disparagingly.) A rectangular Viscount.

Dusty Substance

McVitie's Gold Bars are fucking vile. It's like eating a migraine. Not had one since the 90s but just reading the title of this thread brought back memories of them making me feel sick.

Replies From View

Quote from: Dusty Substance on April 26, 2021, 05:20:34 PM
McVitie's Gold Bars are fucking vile. It's like eating a migraine. Not had one since the 90s but just reading the title of this thread brought back memories of them making me feel sick.

Why would eating a migraine be bad?

Replies From View

Quote from: steve98 on April 26, 2021, 04:20:35 PM
/\ That's basically a non-round Viscount you've got there (And that's not meant disparagingly.) A rectangular Viscount.

I am determined that Club biscuits used to have a sandwich formation of biscuit inside.  Absolutely adamant in fact.

Replies From View

Fuckin yes; I was right

QuoteChanges of ownership

Danone   
In the mid 1990s both the Irish and British Jacob's companies were acquired by French-owned Groupe Danone who redesigned both the biscuit and the packaging. The two biscuits held together by cocoa cream were replaced with a single biscuit, topped with cocoa cream. The real chocolate exterior was replaced with a thinner layer of chocolate-based coating. The original milk and plain biscuits were discontinued, whilst the flavoured varieties were repackaged in cellophane flow pack.

United Biscuits   
In September 2004 the Jacob's brand was sold by Danone to British-based United Biscuits, who restored some of the traditional elements of the Club biscuit, including the two-layer packaging, with an inner foil wrapper and an outer paper wrapper. At present they have not returned to the double-biscuit structure of the bar itself. The Irish part of the company was sold to Fruitfield Foods, to form Jacob Fruitfield Food Group, which has led to legal battles over the use of the Jacob's brand name.[citation needed]

From 2013 United Biscuits rebranded the product as McVities Club, using the Jacob's brand for savoury biscuits and McVities for sweet products.

buzby

Quote from: Replies From View on April 27, 2021, 09:12:12 AM
I am determined that Club biscuits used to have a sandwich formation of biscuit inside.  Absolutely adamant in fact.
I see you have already found the info in Wikipedia, but as I posted earlier in the thread (a quote from one of my posts in one of the previous biscuit threads)
Quote from: buzby on December 22, 2016, 01:02:07 PM
In the 90s Jacobs was bought by Danone, who redesigned the Club. They changed the filling to a single biscuit topped with cream (basically took the upper biscuit off), changed the coating from real chocolate to 'chocolate-based' and discontinued the Milk, Plain, Coffee and Chocolate varieties. Danone sold it on a few years later to UB, so they are now branded as McVities Club.

However, Jacobs had an Irish operation that was also bought by Danone but not sold on to UB. Instead it was sold to the Fruitfield group, who have continued to use the Jacobs name resulting in a long-running legal battle with UB (some of their products are imported back to the UK and sold under the Boland name, but with almost identical packaging to the Jacobs versions). Fruitfield have resumed production of Club Milk in Ireland, using the traditional 2-biscuit sandwich construction.

steve98

Quote from: Replies From View on April 27, 2021, 09:16:17 AM
Fuckin yes; I was right

I never doubted it.

Who gave the French(Danone) the right to fuck about with our biscuits? Thank God we've got them back now, because what they (Danone) did to the ("Le") Club was criminal.

Going forward, I'll no longer think of them as "Oo Danone", I'll think of them as "Oo (Fucking) DO ONE"

Replies From View

Quote from: buzby on April 27, 2021, 09:29:06 AM
I see you have already found the info in Wikipedia, but as I posted earlier in the thread (a quote from one of my posts in one of the previous biscuit threads)

I think I needed to try a Club for the first time in 30 or so years to notice that they had changed.  A lot of information like this won't enter my consciousness without first hand experience.

Interesting to see the original version of Club can be obtained in Ireland.

Replies From View

If you persist in desiring any amount of real chocolate on your biscuit, join your dad

TWO FUCKIN BISCUITS IN THAT ONE JASON.  LIKE THE OLDEN DAYS

MOUTHR FUCKIN REVELAT, this is

Replies From View

I am vexed at the very concept that Ireland deserves a good thing

JesusAndYourBush

Last night I penguined a cup of coffee and as I was sucking coffee through the penguin I somehow made coffee come out of my nose!

buttgammon

I bought some sweets online recently and got a free Caramac in the box. Meh.

markburgle

Quote from: buttgammon on May 26, 2021, 12:11:19 PM
I bought some sweets online recently and got a free Caramac in the box. Meh.

Did you find it kind of gritty in texture? I always did

idunnosomename

if you like a lot of chocolate on your penis: try bumming

buttgammon

Quote from: markburgle on May 26, 2021, 02:38:23 PM
Did you find it kind of gritty in texture? I always did

A bit but not as much as I remembered from the last time I had one (years ago). Gritty isn't nice in this case but I love the grittiness of a Biscoff, for example.

Jasha

Quote from: buttgammon on May 26, 2021, 04:41:39 PM
Gritty isn't nice in this case but I love the grittiness of a Biscoff, for example.

Not long ago the only time you saw a Lotus biscuit was on holiday when you ordered a cup of coffee. These days Biscoff are whoring themselves out left right and centre