Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 05:33:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Is the McVities Gold bar a minor confection?

Started by Bernice, March 28, 2021, 05:09:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thomas

Quote from: Buelligan on March 29, 2021, 03:54:04 PM
Like an egg tooth.

Eventually he will crack open the universe and escape.

Glad to see opinion on the Gold Bar divided in this thread - the low price of stock remains unthreatened.

gilbertharding

Another vote for Trio.

Blue Riband, that's another one.

Tell you what else was nice, the chocolate Club in the blue wrapper that they brought out in the 90s.

Video Game Fan 2000

We used to get orange Clubs for a treat and they were throat scorchingly sweet. Astonishing. Like a mouthful of demerara. I ate one quick once and drank some off brand squash and nearly brought up a lung.

Trio was the best to get in a lunchbox. A lot of the others seemed like they were designed by people who thought a chocolate bar should be a challenge. Whoever designed Trios knew the point was to make them enjoyable and saved the patience testing for the adverts. Fucking off brand Viscounts where you could tell "this'll put 'airs on their chests" was uttered a lot during the design process. Lifes hard enough without biting through bricks of solid sugar. Toddle on over to the hot sauce industry and get the fuck out of confectionary idiots. 

Magnum Valentino

Fuck! They don't make Taxis anymore!

What was the name of the one that was Club/Gold size in shape and length, but had biscuit and almost like a creamy layer? Red packaging. Would have been about in the 90s and 00s too.

Edit: I'm a daft cunt, it's a Trio, and youse have all been talking about them.

Video Game Fan 2000

54321s consigned to the dustbin of history.

The fuck was that? Wet cereal in a bar?

Replies From View

Quote from: jamiefairlie on March 28, 2021, 05:44:47 PM
Caramac (caramel and Mackintosh)

I was about to ask what kind of confection "Mackintosh" was until I realised it was the name of the company making it at the time.  Is it Nestle now?  Caranest

Replies From View

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on March 29, 2021, 03:56:13 PM
Gold is way too sickly.

Give me a Trio any day.

Used to love these but tastes change.  Nowadays I can't be doing with the fake chocolate or toffee "flavour" they have beneath the real chocolate.  Really chemical taste they have.  Plus the biscuit layer seems substantially worse than it did back in the day.

Ever tried out KP Choc Dips since you were a kid?  Trios have a lot of the same taste and mouthfeel.

Buelligan

Quote from: Thomas on March 29, 2021, 04:01:18 PM
Eventually he will crack open the universe and escape.

What a relief that will be.  I cannot respect him.

El Unicornio, mang

I recall liking a chocolate biscuit bar called Montana but I can't find any evidence that they existed (there's a wafer one called same but it's not it), Might have been only sold at whatever place my Mum shopped in the 90s.

Quote from: Replies From View on March 29, 2021, 06:07:53 PM
Used to love these but tastes change.  Nowadays I can't be doing with the fake chocolate or toffee "flavour" they have beneath the real chocolate.  Really chemical taste they have.  Plus the biscuit layer seems substantially worse than it did back in the day.

Ever tried out KP Choc Dips since you were a kid?  Trios have a lot of the same taste and mouthfeel.

A few years back when I was in Poland I bought a bar called a 3Bit. It's effectively a Trio but longer and, critically, even more synthetic tasting due to a "milk" filling rather than toffee. When McVities brought Trios back a few years ago, I had 3Bit as a "not as good as I remember" benchmark so a genuine Trio tasted fantastic in comparison.

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on March 29, 2021, 06:36:56 PM
I recall liking a chocolate biscuit bar called Montana but I can't find any evidence that they existed (there's a wafer one called same but it's not it), Might have been only sold at whatever place my Mum shopped in the 90s.

That does ring a bell. Was it an own-brand knock off of a Rocky bar?

gilbertharding

If you like,
A lot of chocolate on your biscuit,
Join our club.

Cold Meat Platter

The Montego Bar. Spicy.
Those were the days eh. When you could leave your wife unlocked and still have change for the bus home.

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on March 29, 2021, 05:58:55 PM
54321s consigned to the dustbin of history.

The fuck was that? Wet cereal in a bar?

Rice Krispies on top of wafer stuff wasn't it? (with caramel too, now that I've watched the advert on YouTube). I thought they were nice, but I was a kid.

Their main selling point was the advert featuring the Manfred Mann song of the same name, with new biscuit-themed lyrics.

https://youtu.be/j8dx-K1bl0c

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: Clatty McCutcheon on March 29, 2021, 07:51:23 PM
Rice Krispies on top of wafer stuff wasn't it? (with caramel too, now that I've watched the advert on YouTube). I thought they were nice, but I was a kid.

Their main selling point was the advert featuring the Manfred Mann song of the same name, with new biscuit-themed lyrics.

https://youtu.be/j8dx-K1bl0c

Considered a very undesirable lunchbox find in school because they weren't crispy at all, kind of gooey.

Not quite as undesirable as the fruit club bar mind, the most likely chocolate bar to be repurposed as a projectile after the dire knock off Viscounts you could get in Kwik Save, you put a deadly spin on those.

Trios were number one because of the biscuit and soft toffee combo, the longer lasting and attractive three chunk layout and normally came with some sort of gimmick in the wrapper like something you had to rub with a penny to see a picture of Roland Rat.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on March 29, 2021, 04:00:05 PM
Trio gets kudos for those adverts back in the day, with the screaming lassie and her hippy mates rocking out on bongos and guitar.

edit: and it seems, at least at some point, John Peel doing voiceover duties.

Yep. Derek Griffiths saying " too loud", too.
First advert might have been # cancelled by now, as they shove the bongos directly into the gob of the loud girl, to make her stop being too loud. Unacceptable nowadays.

seepage

Late 1960s there was a chocolate biscuit bar that always cost a ha'penny more than a Mars Bar etc. Came in a multi-faceted (is that the right term?) dark gold foil wrapper. Never been able to find out what it was.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Those choccy bars which had * actual chocolates, like from a box of chocolates*, embedded into the bar of chocolate itself.

We may have had this sort of thread before.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on March 29, 2021, 08:05:24 PM
Those choccy bars which had * actual chocolates, like from a box of chocolates*, embedded into the bar of chocolate itself.

5 Centres?

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on March 29, 2021, 06:53:47 PM

That does ring a bell. Was it an own-brand knock off of a Rocky bar?

Yeah I think so, definitely like a Rocky bar

Cold Meat Platter

I've noticed that the crisps and biscuits threads are always so much better natured than the politics threads. Maybe politics needs to take a leaf out of crisps' and biscuits' books.

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on March 29, 2021, 08:05:24 PM

Mythical Milk Tray bar that no one has ever seen in person.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on March 29, 2021, 10:31:24 PM
Mythical Milk Tray bar that no one has ever seen in person.

They *did* exist. Purchased a few every now and again when I felt like treating meself. I distinctly remember chuckling away to meself while reading Danny Baker [nb] before he was an arsehole[/nb]reviewing the singles in the NME., and scoffing one of them bars.That was a very good day.

purlieu

Ah, I may have to invest in a pack of Gold, Club and / or Trio when I go shopping this week. Some nice memories.

What I miss most are the supermarket home-brand caramel chocolate biscuits. They were the same kind of thing as the chocolate digestive bars, but they had a layer of fairly thick, chewy caramel - bordering on toffee - and were utterly delicious. These days the closest thing you get is either a Rocky Caramel (delicious, but the wrong consistency caramel), or supermarket brand Twixes.

That said, the whole Supermarket Mars range - they all do their own Milky Way, Mars, Twix and Snickers - I tend to find superior to the real things.

buzby

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on March 29, 2021, 01:36:47 PM
Reading this thread has made me want to pop out to Aldi to buy a pack,
Aldi don't sell packs of Gold bars, as most of their confectionery is own brand knockoffs. I think Lidl do sell them as they do a lot more branded stuff, and Home & Bargain and B&M definitely do as that's where i buy them from.

Quote from: bgmnts on March 29, 2021, 03:34:36 PM
Best choc bars are:

Gold
Quote from: Utterdrivel on March 29, 2021, 03:54:42 PM
Love it when you get an unexpectedly chunky bite of the...whatever it is. Caramac style chocolatey stuff.
Quote from: buzby on March 29, 2021, 01:29:43 PM
The reason why Gold are always cheap is because there's no cocoa content in the coating.

Quote from: Replies From View on March 29, 2021, 06:01:49 PM
I was about to ask what kind of confection "Mackintosh" was until I realised it was the name of the company making it at the time.  Is it Nestle now?  Caranest
Quote from: buzby on March 29, 2021, 01:29:43 PM
Caramac was Rowntree Mackintosh (hence the name) who were later taken over by Nestle

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: purlieu on March 29, 2021, 10:38:05 PM

That said, the whole Supermarket Mars range - they all do their own Milky Way, Mars, Twix and Snickers - I tend to find superior to the real things.

Have any of the supermarkets had a crack at a Double Decker knockoff?

Non Stop Dancer

Bar 6. There was a chocolate bar you could set your watch to.

Kankurette

Best Club flavour? Fruit 'n' nut, without a doubt.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain